Learning to tow

Oct 7, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

Does anyone know where you can learn to tow and take a test to legally tow a caravan. The only advice the DVLA could give me was to contact PVC schools. They advised me this was pointless doing it with them as i would be learning to drive mini buses, not tow caravans. None of the caravan dealerships seem to be aware that people who passed their test after 1997, can not automatically tow. Apparantly i need a B+E, i have this provisionally on my licience, but can not get any information on getting it changed to a full category.

Nene

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Nene

I think you are wrong.

You can tow but the car + caravan must not go other 30000kg.

If you won't to go over this then phone the Caravan Club (UK Technical Advice 01342 336611) (if you are not a mender they will not help you).

They myth tell you who can help you.

Ps wife past test after 1997.

Mark

May 21, 2008
Visit site
As alredy said you can tow upto a total gross weight of the car + occupants and the loaded caravan upto 3000Kgs total.

As crazy as it sounds you would need to take a test in a transit type vehicle to go over that.

But most car / caravan combinations don't exceed 3200Kgs anyway, unless of coarse you tow with a 4x4, which can go to around 5500Kgs and more if you have a Land rover LWB.

The main idea of the different type of test is to qualify people to drive larger vehicles than cars and to understand that they can drive them safely etc.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Nene, as has been said you will be able to tow all but very large units on your current licence. You can check the law on the home page / towing law / driving licences.

In a nut shell the combined weight of the van and car must not exceed 3500kg and the car must weigh more than the van.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Nene

Re Driving licences.

A full driving licence is required to tow a caravan,from Jan 1997 new category B generaly held as normal car entitlement,Vehicles may be coupled to a trailer up to 750kg Maximum Autherised Mass.allowing a combined weight of up to 4.25Tonnes mam, or a trailer example a tourer over 750kg mam provided the mam of trailer dose not exceed 3.5 tonnes mam. This would mean that many drivers who possess only category B would be able to tow a caravan provided it was not heaver than the car and that combined weight dose not exceed 3.5 tonnes.

This would mean quite a small van. to take a test for category E

application forms are avail at post office, allso obtain booklet D100 full information is in there, tests are conducted at HGV centres.

May I allso recomend a towing course at the camping & Caravan club, where all matters relateing to towing will be dealt with.

Hope this Helps

Happy Towing

Jim M

Oct 13, 2005
Visit site
this is very interesting because we assumed that the wife couldnt tow the van as she passed her test after 97, looking at the info here and on the dvla site it looks like we may have been wrong, she will be pleased when I tell her, she was worried enough about me towing it, she will freak if I say she can :)

Oct 29, 2005
Visit site
I did notice that BSM school of motoring had a car and substantial trailer being used for lessons whilst I was in the Southampton area last month. Otherwise try the Driving Instructors Association, the Motor Schools Association, or Agricultural Colleges as they would have the same problem for young farmers.

Oct 7, 2005
Visit site
this is very interesting because we assumed that the wife couldnt tow the van as she passed her test after 97, looking at the info here and on the dvla site it looks like we may have been wrong, she will be pleased when I tell her, she was worried enough about me towing it, she will freak if I say she can :)
Hi, Have investigated info further. If you check towing laws on this web page (hadn't found it before). It should make things alot clearer on if your wife can tow.

Happy towing!!!!

Nene

TRENDING THREADS