LEARNING TO TOW

Aug 30, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

My Husband & I have just brought our first caravan, a Compass Liberte 18/4 (approx 24').

Whilst my husband can tow the 'van, I have never towed, well apart from driving straight round an empty car park and that doesn't count.

Although I sure himself won't want me to do the driving/towing, I feel I should at least get some training in case of an emergency!!!

I know the CC do a course, but reading the small print it states this is NOT for beginners.

Does anyone out there know where I could get some proper training in Somerset please?!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Vicky, there is no such restriction on the C&CC course. You provide the tow vehicle, they provide the caravan.

Details are on their website.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Vicky, Are you sure about the CC course? I have checked their web site and they do two courses. They do a one and a half day course for beginners or a one day course for ' those who know the basics but have difficulty in manouvering'. Ray

Aug 30, 2005
Visit site
Vicky, Are you sure about the CC course? I have checked their web site and they do two courses. They do a one and a half day course for beginners or a one day course for ' those who know the basics but have difficulty in manouvering'. Ray
Hi Ray,

Thanks ever-so for the info, will have a look at the C&CC website.

Have just check the CC details again and the 1-day Manoeuvring Course is and I quote "not suitable for beginners" and I would definitely fall into the beginners category!

Anyway, thanks again!

Vicky

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
If you are going to the show at the NEC in feb they have a free course for beginers. The wife is going to have a go there before we book her on one of the club courses

Steve

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Vicky.

May I suggest.

Now that your car is sporting a tow bar, try towing a smaller trailer if your hubby or you can borrow one.

My wife was worried about towing the van, and fed up waiting for her working husband to be at home she hitched up a trailer and headed to the dump with the garden waste many years ago.

Small trailer is harder to reverse than caravan and we found a quiet spot where she practiced. Some years later she then towed our large twin axle through Italy and swiss mountain pass to Luxembourg and home for her first tow as I was ill, She found it easy following trailer experience.

Just an idea as it could help you get used to corners and get the basics of reversing the beasts before you pitch up completely green for your valuable lesson.

Aug 30, 2005
Visit site
Vicky.

May I suggest.

Now that your car is sporting a tow bar, try towing a smaller trailer if your hubby or you can borrow one.

My wife was worried about towing the van, and fed up waiting for her working husband to be at home she hitched up a trailer and headed to the dump with the garden waste many years ago.

Small trailer is harder to reverse than caravan and we found a quiet spot where she practiced. Some years later she then towed our large twin axle through Italy and swiss mountain pass to Luxembourg and home for her first tow as I was ill, She found it easy following trailer experience.

Just an idea as it could help you get used to corners and get the basics of reversing the beasts before you pitch up completely green for your valuable lesson.
Good idea, I see if I can got hold of a trailer!

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Vicky.

May I suggest.

Many first time van owners find space for a trailer when they have a tow bar. No more worries over waste or getting stuff delivered!

My wife hardly ever pays full price for anything and many a deal has been done as we can trailer the goods away!

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Vicky

I agree with what the others have said in their posts. I think you would find it beneficial to take the course.

I decided I wanted a caravan and bought one after reading up about caravans etc. I told my husband that I would do all the towing and that's what we do. I didn't do the course. I hitched up and went out with a capable work colleague for the first couple of sessions to get my confidence. I really enjoyed it. I have now towed around 1800 miles and after negotiating some Cornish roads, I'm quite confident to go anywhere.

I just need to practice reversing as I haven't had many opportunities to do that.

Let us know how you get on, give it a try, you might enjoy it.

Regards.

Lisa.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Good on you Lisa! If you are a competant driver I can see no reason why towing a caravan should be a problem.

Because of my Biz I have three trailers as well as the van, the hardest to reverse is the small 5 X 3 trailer, if you can master a small trailer reversing the van comes easy. My wife and 23 year old daughter tow my big commercial Ifor Williams flatbed trailer for me at times and enjoy the surprised looks they get.

Ladies. Enjoy

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Vicky, Then it looks like the one and half day course is the one for you. Ray

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
Just towed out caravan for the first time, from storage to our house (about 1.5 mile), how scared was I!!! only managed to kerb it once and reversing was a complete disaster. My hubby is going to take me out for some lessons before we go out for our first time!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Good on yer Lolly, we could do with more women towing. I think the trick is to take your time when towing until you build up enough confidence. Reversing is going to be strange, you can be completely hopeless at it for a while, then all of a sudden it will click and will be left wondering what all the fuss is about.

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
We live on an RAF base so our speed limit is only 20mph - good job really, I think I did once hit 20mph!!!

God help other road users when I get out and about!!

My hubby teased and said it was a "white knuckle ride"!!

Rotten sod!!

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Good on you Vicky, which my wife could tow, last year whilst we were in France i was taken ill and out of action for 4 days driving home was touch and go but had to because of the ferry. She has towed since in uk and does some towing on each outing building her confidence

G

My wife has been driving with a caravan on the back for 30 years both here and abroad and has found no problems. Her advice is to have a big car, with automatic gearbox and she can then concentrate on the road. I usually play 'watchman' when she passes vehicles using the nearside mirror to tell her when it is safe to pull back in, but apart from that she does everything better than I can. Training is useful, but no answer to actually getting experience yourself. However, if your husband is the 'nervous' type then I would suggest in the interests of a sustained marriage to think carefully. It can be the shortest route to divorce.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We live on an RAF base so our speed limit is only 20mph - good job really, I think I did once hit 20mph!!!

Rotten sod!!
I'll have to let our son know when your out and about on the base (he's a a snow drop) he could probably clear a few roads for ya!

;o)

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site

Rotten sod!!
what's your sons job lol? which base is he at?

May 10, 2005
Visit site
Vicky

THe first time my sister towed was when we went to the Caravan & Boat show at the NEC last year. THe Caravan & Camping CLub have caravans and cars there so you can have a go. It's free and well worth a try. You have an experienced person with you all the time. She thought it was brilliant. If there is a similar show near you give it a go, but get your name down early as they get booked up quickly.

Personally, I went on one of the caravan club course. I can strongly recommend them. Have a look on their web site for details of your nearest test centre.

Trisha

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
The one and a half day CC course is designed for beginners. I have been on it, even though I had towed trailers for years. It was well worth it, and it soon becomes second nature with the van on the back!

Jul 25, 2005
Visit site
The one and a half day CC course is designed for beginners. I have been on it, even though I had towed trailers for years. It was well worth it, and it soon becomes second nature with the van on the back!
Hi Sonic,

How did you find reversing in a straight line? I always have the most trouble with that monouver.

Pop

TRENDING THREADS