Leasure Battery charging rate

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

Any idea what the maximum/best amount of amps I can charge a leasure battery at?

To keep the battery charged during storage, I visit the 'van and use a battery charger plugged into the car to top up. I'm currently charging as about 2.5 amps, is this too much?

Pete

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I believe it is recommended not to exceed 10% of the AH rating

e.g. 110Ah battery, max continuous charge rate 11 amps etc. for short periods 20% may be permissible.

May 20, 2005
Visit site
Pete with out going in to great detail ( I can if you want me to ) the amount of current (amps) at which a battery will charge is dependant 1) the voltage being applied to the battery

2) the voltage of the battery 3) the internal resistance of the battery.

in other words a flat battery will take more current than a fully charged battery.

Once a battery is fully charged the current is the product of its internal resistance and the applied voltage. If the applied voltage is to high you will end up with the battery "boiling" which will damage it.

this is why you should use a battery charger that senses when the battery is nearly charged and reduces the applied voltage so as not to "boil" the battery.

in answer to your question is 2.5 amps to much IMHO it is for a fully charged battery but you may find that when you first put a fully charged battery on charge it will take 2.5 amps for a short periode untill the battery voltage increases to the applied voltage.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you PaulA for adding the additional information. I concur that when a battery is fully charged a much lower maintenance charge rate is appropriate.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts