leaving hot water on ?

May 9, 2015
Visit site
hi is it ok to leave the hot water switch on,, i do a bit of work in my caravan and am away from it for long spells ,,is it ok to leave the water on ready when i come in from a hard day at work or should it only be turned on when i need hot water ?

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
Into my 230 volt supply I've fitted a 3 pin socket, a timer and a 3 pin plug so that the water heater just works when I want it to. What's the point of wasting electricity unnecessarily. Also having had to replace an element, it would seem that they have a life span.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
A good question,the user instructions for our water heater operating on mains electricity are hopelessly deficient although they are quite comprehensive regarding gas operation.Spoke to a caravan dealer who said he kept his electricwater heater on all the time,For ourselves we only switch on the heater when we need hot water.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
robf1234 said:
hi is it ok to leave the hot water switch on,, i do a bit of work in my caravan and am away from it for long spells ,,is it ok to leave the water on ready when i come in from a hard day at work or should it only be turned on when i need hot water ?

Hello Rob,

As you don't tells us the make and model of the water heater you use I cannot be specific, but as far as I know all the water heaters you are likely to find in touring caravans will be designed and comply with standards that allow the heater to be safely left on 24hrs a day.

However, Without doubt to maximise efficiency you should only heat the water just before you use it.

But perhaps you want to be able to use the hot water as soon as you get in, which if you cannot set up a timer to pre-empt your return then leaving it on all day may be the best solution.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I do not like waste and therefore turn the heater on and off as needed. When we bought our Avondale and found the water heater switch right under the bed when it was made up, the dealer said leave it on all the time but not for me. The principle is the same as a domestic heater so I suppose there is no harm provided the tank is full but I just do not do it.
Our new caravan has the control by the door so far easier to switch on and off and the water heats up in minutes so cannot see the point in leaving it on.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
When we arrive on site , the mains goes on , the water is heated until we go . The switch is left in the relevant position and is not touched , like someone else says , our switch is below the seats like theirs which turns to our beds so to much faff on switching on and off when beds are made up .

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
..........if I have EHU then I don't use any gas at all so the water heater has to be switched off at times to keep within the supply limits of the bollard.
Appart from that it is time switch controlled........don't see how people leave it on all the time unless they pay for electricity but use gas!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Ours is an Alde system where the water heating is integrated with the space heating. Summer or winter, on gas or electricity we leave it on whilst actually out caravanning, but off for transit and stowage. Did the same with a separate Truma boiler in an earlier van and Carver before that. Always take the view that is what we want hot water when its needed, washing after using the loo etc, just as at home we have hot available 24 /7.
Only the Carver gave up but that was a corrosion issue with the tie rod, nothing I linked to use, just appalling construction relying on an epoxy coating for protection even on a screw thread.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We leave ours on, on the basis that once the water is heated ( via ehu) then the heater only needs to come on periodically to keep it hot. I may be expecting more from the insulating material around the hot water tank than is reasonable though

Dec 19, 2003
Visit site
As I said, mine is on a timer and the Truma tanks don't stay as hot as you might think. Mine switches off at about 9pm and if I get up thefollowing morning a bit earlier than usual, the water is stone cold.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " I may be expecting more from the insulating material around the hot water tank than is reasonable though"

If you have the Ultrastore, it has no insulation around the hot water tank.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
As I said, mine is on a timer and the Truma tanks don't stay as hot as you might think. Mine switches off at about 9pm and if I get up thefollowing morning a bit earlier than usual, the water is stone cold.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
Quote " I may be expecting more from the insulating material around the hot water tank than is reasonable though"

If you have the Ultrastore, it has no insulation around the hot water tank.

Clearly my insulation expectations are
way way higher than is reasonable. :cheer: :cheer:
Mel

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Mel said:
We leave ours on, on the basis that once the water is heated ( via ehu) then the heater only needs to come on periodically to keep it hot. I may be expecting more from the insulating material around the hot water tank than is reasonable though

Judging by the heat that comes off ours the insulation is not that good, still it would never freeze under there if it is cold.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
........still using a Carver water heater from days gone by :eek:hmy:
.....they have a polystyrene insulation jacket that has always kept the heat in the water not the caravan.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
........still using a Carver water heater from days gone by :eek:hmy:
.....they have a polystyrene insulation jacket that has always kept the heat in the water not the caravan.

Absolutely right Gafferbill, modernisation is not always in the customers best interests.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts