led bulbs

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
hi all i am thinking of changing all the halogen bulbs to leds, not being an electrician i am wondering if i need ac or dc or does it not matter ?

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Well its possible to have mains 230v halogen (AC) lamps, and battery 12v halogen (DC) lamps in the same van- my last one did.
If you are at all unsure, disconnect the mains lead, so that the lights that still work are only the 12 v (DC) ones, and select your LEDs accordingly. Remaining ones are of course the 230v (AC) lights.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Jules,
From your posts it seem pretty certain you do not have a lot of technical expertise. But that shouldn't stop you from resolving this one.

Generally 12V and 230V bulbs will have different connectors so you cant accidentally mix them up. But for safety, make sure the caravan is disconnected from the mains and then remove one bulb and carefully inspect it. It should have its voltage stamped on it. Make a note of it and refit it. Do the same for each bulb in turn.

You can then source the correct replacement LED bulbs.

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
Just have a look on the bulb for the type and search on eBay for that type. Our van has a lot of GU4 and a few G9 (not to be confused with G4 which look similar).

Bear in mind, if you're replacing Halogen bulbs where the glass bulb is exposed (e.g. G9), if you touch the glass they are prone to shattering in the future (oils in your skin left on the glass cause uneven temperatures across the glass)- so if you're pulling them out with your fingers bin them. If you want to keep them pull them out with some kitchen roll or something. You don't need to worry about the LED ones.

Give some thought to the type of light you want- warm white is exactly that, almost yellow in colour. Cool white is much bluer and more clinical. I've gone for cool white in the kitchen, warm in the seating/bed areas, but the choice is yours.

Have a look on your bulbs and report back if you like, I'm sure members here can verify your purchase plans.

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
be careful not to get you greasy mits on the halogen bulbs, they don't like it. It's best to use a bit of clean kitchen roll or something to stop the natural oils from your skin getting on the bulb as they get quite hot and can go pop.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Look at each light as suggested. Measure each bulb 3 ways, l x b.x h in mm. Now look on the internet and find the right bulbs. If there are different one in your van draw a sketch so you can compare shapes. Check that the replacements have a built in fuse- it will tell you on the site- if not ask. The advice on colour is good but some lamps come with a temperature code. 2700K is warm white, 3500K is cool white. Avoid cheap led bulbs and use a supplier with a proper address and preferably good reviews.

TRENDING THREADS