LED from Incandscent filament Lighting ??

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
Hi Guys

I have a older van 2001 ERA Bailey Ranger, how hard is it to change over throughout from the older style filament bulbs to the new led style 12 volt and 240 volt mains types

I would like to do for power savings and better lighting overall, has anybody done this, and what is involved

regards huey45/Keith

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You can usually find direct replacements LED bulbs for most filaments, both 12V and 230V, so its as simple as changing the bulb.

Fluorescent tubes are bit more of a problem, and you may have to change the whole fitting.

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
Hi Thanks
I thought that was the case, but reading up on some LED bulb suppliers, they make references to LED Driver units ? if that was the case, I would not have a clue where to start...

Jul 17, 2008
clogcaravanlog.blogspot.com
I replaced the whole fittings with LED light units. The 12v saving was considerable and was much brighter but was a tad expensive. As i go off hook up quite a lot, it was the better thing for me to do. The replacement units even looked the same. If you google image caravan leds, you'd probably find one the same.

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
My van is relatively new so the main lights were already LED units, I did however change my spots to LED from halogen which was a straight swap and they are much better.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
When I bought my van we had strip lights above the lockers, and Swift had had a problem with some overheating. They issued a recall to have them changed to LED but if confident, they would send the kit to do as DIY which in my case was the preferred choice.

Its very simple with one proviso:

Its simply a matter of disconnecting the two wires, usual brown or red and blue and reconnecting. I did this, brown to brown blue to blue and nothing worked. Leds have to be wired one specific way and incandescant can be either way. So i contacted Swift Technical who told me to connect brown to blue and vice versa. Of course I asked if they were serious and they were adamant. I suggested that if this worked then something somewhere must be incorrect within the can as the brown should be the live feed. I was told and I kid you not, "it doesnt matter which colour we use for live at build". I followed advice in it worked perfectly.

I appreciate this sounds utterly ridiculous but is exactly how it went. Somwehere in Swifts own forum can be seen Swift telling me this.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thingy said:
When I bought my van we had strip lights above the lockers, and Swift had had a problem with some overheating. They issued a recall to have them changed to LED but if confident, they would send the kit to do as DIY which in my case was the preferred choice.

Its very simple with one proviso:

Its simply a matter of disconnecting the two wires, usual brown or red and blue and reconnecting. I did this, brown to brown blue to blue and nothing worked. Leds have to be wired one specific way and incandescant can be either way. So i contacted Swift Technical who told me to connect brown to blue and vice versa. Of course I asked if they were serious and they were adamant. I suggested that if this worked then something somewhere must be incorrect within the can as the brown should be the live feed. I was told and I kid you not, "it doesnt matter which colour we use for live at build". I followed advice in it worked perfectly.

I appreciate this sounds utterly ridiculous but is exactly how it went. Somwehere in Swifts own forum can be seen Swift telling me this.

Unlike 230V ac mains wiring where there are enforceable standards about colour codes for wiring, there is no such regulations for 12V systems. Some industries do have conventions, but those conventions may be different in other industry sectors.UK Caravan manufactures may follow a convention provided by the NCC, but light fitting manufactures may adopt a different code, so its far from uncommon to find extra low Voltage equipment with conflicting colour codes.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
My van seemed to have been built on the cusp of changeover, with fluorescents above the ceiling lockers but LEDs in other places. The Heiki rooflights are fitted out for fluorescents too, complete with the wiring and PCBs, but actually sporting led strips.

I have since changed all the tubes for leds, as you can buy a reel of leds in various lengths that you can simply cut to length with scissors. Just solder in a pigtail to the marked 12v+/- on the strip with new spade terminals to connect to existing female terminals. However the strips need to be mounted on say an L plastic strip, but this all depends on your application.

There are also some very nice led downlighters, which are very thin indeed, so can install within the thickness of the base of a locker, like these, which I finished up buying 2 sets:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-LED-12V-RECESSED-FLUSH-SPOTLIGHT-CAMPERVAN-CARAVAN-MOTORHOME-CHROME-WARM-WHITE-/121761325103?hash=item1c598a602f

Unless you prefer exceptionally harsh lighting, I would go for 'warm white' but this varies in interpretation. Look for no more than 3000K and preferably 2700k to get a cosier ambience.

Oops - don't understand why no link...

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
chrisn7 said:
Oops - don't understand why no link...

I do,( it's that No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configuration thingy again) don't ask me how I know :p , but the mods can fix.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
In cars negative 12V (yes, there is negative/0V wiring, lights for instance) is very often brown, so there is a precedent.

In caravans negative 12V is usually white.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts