Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
I am 38yrs young and as a child i had a older brother who was a 'head banger' and i was a mod(it was like brighton beach every day in our house),now as a more mature music listener i have come to enjoy heavyish rock,

Anyway i have bought Led Zep mothership its unreal what have i been missing all these years,even my 11yr old son loves it and all his mates at school are listening to it on his ipod,LONG LIVE rock.What do you think?

PS I still listen to The Jam,Specials etc

Jan 9, 2008
Visit site
Sorry to burst your bubble Andrew but by the time you were a toddler Mods and Rockers were dead and buried and hippies and skinheads were starting to be a fading fad.

Led Zep, great band though. I have quite a lot of years over you and love everything from to Led Zep to the Monkeys and Alvin Lee and Ginger Baker and Hendrix to Amy Winehouse, Alicia Keys and many others.

Over 100000 tracks to choose from so my taste differs but rock heavy and loud is hard to beat

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Nice one Andrew! It's good that you finally discovered Led Zeppelin. I'm 18 years older than yourself so I was around when they started off, but it goes to show the rich musical mother lode that is out there.

Like Jason R I never restrict myself to listening to any one thing, I can find something good in anything from Beethoven, through to George Formby and Glenn Miller, Jerry Lee Lewis, all the rock bands of the seventies right up to the present day.

There is something telling in the fact that your son and his mates listen to it, because sadly, due to the likes of Pete Waterman, and more recently Simon Cowell, a Led Zeppelin just wouldn't get a record deal if they had started off today.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I agree with Jason, Andrew wouldn't have known the Mods and Rockers era. Where I disagree is Andrew wouldn't have even been a toddler because it started in 1963ish and was over in a couple of years reaching it's peak about a year later in 1964. People (Mods)then seemed to embrace the hippy scene from San Francisco although the Rockers seemed to carry on with their offshoot of the Hell's Angels.

I was 18 in 1963 and in my own experience there was no trouble locally between the two groups, it always seemed to be a seaside bank holiday problem in the south and south-east.

Many say the fights were set up by the media. The drugs problem wasn't as bad then as some would have one believe. Not once was I offered any kind of drug and neither did I know any of my friends who had tried them, that is with the exception of tobacco. As a streetwise teenager at the time I saw and got involved in fights but it was never Mod/Rocker related but it was mostly alcohol fuelled.

I bet theres a few on here who woke up the morning after a night out and think their jaw is dislocated. All of a sudden it becomes clearer you were fighting the night before but never felt a thing proving alcohol must be a good pain relief :O)

Bernie will probably remember the "hostel" in Hereford. On a Friday night they used to have some great dances with all the top names of the time, groups like The Kinks, The Searchers, Eden Kane, P.J.Proby and even Screaming Lord Sutch.

Great times and just as if they were yesterday.

May 6, 2006
Visit site
I agree with Jason, Andrew wouldn't have known the Mods and Rockers era. Where I disagree is Andrew wouldn't have even been a toddler because it started in 1963ish and was over in a couple of years reaching it's peak about a year later in 1964. People (Mods)then seemed to embrace the hippy scene from San Francisco although the Rockers seemed to carry on with their offshoot of the Hell's Angels.

I was 18 in 1963 and in my own experience there was no trouble locally between the two groups, it always seemed to be a seaside bank holiday problem in the south and south-east.

Many say the fights were set up by the media. The drugs problem wasn't as bad then as some would have one believe. Not once was I offered any kind of drug and neither did I know any of my friends who had tried them, that is with the exception of tobacco. As a streetwise teenager at the time I saw and got involved in fights but it was never Mod/Rocker related but it was mostly alcohol fuelled.

I bet theres a few on here who woke up the morning after a night out and think their jaw is dislocated. All of a sudden it becomes clearer you were fighting the night before but never felt a thing proving alcohol must be a good pain relief :O)

Bernie will probably remember the "hostel" in Hereford. On a Friday night they used to have some great dances with all the top names of the time, groups like The Kinks, The Searchers, Eden Kane, P.J.Proby and even Screaming Lord Sutch.

Oh yes I do remember the hostel good nights ,good acts, some good scraps I remember old "Boxer"(a local character) trying to ride his motor bike in through the front doors Ahh the good old days....

exit left muttering into Ovaltine

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andrew

I was lucky enough to see LZ play live at Knebworth in 1979 (or it might have been 1978) for their 'final' concert. I'm thinking about asking Harvey Goldsmith for a refund though as they've reformed.

I got into metal at 13 and my favourite band even now after 33 years is AC/DC (but with Bon Scott) rather than Brian Johnson. I was honoured to see them play live at the Hammersmith with Bon Scott in 1979 (three months before Bon died). Brian Johnson joined them in late 1980. You should have a listen to them.

Lisa

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site

Remember Frage? Another local character who was a bit yampy :O)

He used to open the far side windows to let us in .... hehheh!

I would have thought the people at the hostel were too old for Boxer, it was kids about 14/15 he went for :O)

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Those were the days - when you could see a famous band at your local hall. We had The Kinks, Manfred Mann, Billy J Kramer, The Animals, and even Jimmy Hendrix (where the gig was closed and everyone 'sent home' because too many people were in the building - a famous event in local folklore in Ilkley).

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
All the girls dancing around their handbags .. hehheh!

It all stopped though when the main group came on, they all crowded around the stage. I remember giving my girlfriend, now wife, a piggyback so she could see over peoples heads :O)

The Kinks and Searchers were my favourites though.

Jan 9, 2008
Visit site
Our Lord B likes the "Kinks"

I did say that Mods and Rockers were dead and buried before Andrew was a toddler

Alice Cooper !!!!!!!! Great. Rob Thomas and Matchbox Twenty and Rob with Santana, Santana a fav of old rockers.

Ace Cafe London is a cult visit for old bikers, but sight and sound of 60's Triumph cafe racers on Dunlop triangular tyres and Tribsa,Norbsa,Tritan and Vincents roaring along the north circular the clang of old Wolsley police bells fading far behind as they screamed towards Staple Corner the young have missed out on so much fun

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
WOW so many great bands .... Led Zep, Uriah Heap, Humble Pie, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd and of course the best band of all time (imho) JETHRO TULL. I still listen to Tull most days.

Steve&Cal make an interesting point re the likes of Pete Waterman and Simon Cowell. I also feel that the bands I have mentioned might not "make it" if they started today ...........

BUT

I very much doubt that any of the "artists" from the likes of X Factor will still be going in 5 years never mind 35 years !!!

Steve

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Today you would have to prise them from the computer, X-box or T.V. That is their version of fun Jason.

Why do you think the government, bless their sad little hearts, are now talking about food vouchers and lunch box inspectors to try and cut down on the high number of obese kids? When shopping in Asda on Saturday I think it should be the parents that they should be targeting from the size of them, not the children. Children aren't born naturally obese.

In all seriousness there is room for concern for the future of these kids, it's a blueprint for their future.

The only reasons I can think of why they are so obese is because of the reasons I gave above and the ease of ready meals and trash takeaways.

After the war and due to rationing we ate food that wouldn't be classed as healthy being full of fats but at least we spent a lot of time outside playing and working it off. I guess cowboys and indians would be banned today by the PC Brigade because too many indians bit the dust :O) Oh I forgot, we had toy cap guns too, they would also be banned. Funny after playing such violent role play games we never grew up wanting to kill anyone who disagreed with us or didn't show "respect".

Now in certain areas of the country they watch the DVDs, play the X-Box games then go outside to role play with real shooters :O(

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
reading all this I just had to play Stairway to Heaven LZ, Comfortably Numb Pink Floyd, In the Court of the Crimson King, King Crimson and Jethro Tull's Stand Up album.

Think I'll now freek out to Creams Wheels of Fire which includes The White Room.

Cheers

Alan

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Way back through the mists of time, in the late sixties, every young chap wanted to be in a group, as we called them in those days. A crowd of my mates were no exception and you had the situation where one would say 'I'm the drummer' and another would say 'I'm the lead guitarist' and of course none of us could play a note, we wouldn't have known D major from a sergeant major.

In the end my mate John and myself eventually got hold of Bells mail order music catalogue from which you could buy a shiny brand new guitar for so much a week. Bells were based in Surbiton I think, and I wonder how many young musicians that they helped to get started.

I bought a Baldwin bass guitar which I eventually learned to play, well after a fashion anyway.

We finally got in with some other young chaps who could play and we used to practise after work in an old schoolroom three nights a week. The kid who played drums used to live about half a mile from where we practised, and we had to go round to his mothers where we stored what bit of 'gear' that we had and carry the lot down the road to the schoolroom, accompanied by much ribald comment from the locals, and carry it all back again afterwards.

We eventually started to play in pubs and working mens clubs, this old guy with one arm used to drive us there in his scruffy old Morris van which he used for scrap collecting during the day, and he got a share of the money, such as it was, we called him Ron the Arm.

If anyone has seen the film '

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
My little tale seems to have gone off prematurely :0

If anyone has seen the film 'The Commitments' then the bit that shows when they got started is just what it was like, we would do whatever it took to get on stage.

I played in various bands for over thirty years after, until poor health forced a halt and I'm still in touch with many old muso's who I knew then and we often share a couple of pints and a good old laugh about our antics back then.

Jan 9, 2008
Visit site
Steve describes a kind of music apprentiship that so many seem to lack these days, raw talent and energy seems to be missing from so many so called stars.

In our sanitized society music acts are now selected by a panel and those with nothing much to do on a Saturday evening. Working the clubs and pubs and learning how to perform has been traded for a quick bit of choreography, demented designer makeovers and computer voice wizardry as dictated by music industry marketing gurus and managers.

The product is placed in the market place and gets a brief well paid year or two as the music industry takes the bulk of the cream and another product placement is readied to take over.

Boy bands with routines that Lord B's girls dancing around hand bags could have done better are marketed for hormonal teenage girls and sad bored desperate "housewives". For the boys thrusting Tuts n Bim girl acts with what little modesty is protected by Lycra on display in the tabloids due to the "going commando" trend.

Good looking men and women have always got in to the charts, but in the past they seemed to have learnt there craft over time and earned a lasting place in our hearts.

Should till you drop? Of course you should

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Well, I like a couple of the boy bands (Westlife and Take That, e.g.), so does that make me a 'sad, bored, desperate housewife'? LOL

However, I also like Meatloaf (Bats out of Hell being my all time favourite album), Aerosmith and Bon Jovi.

Also Madonna, Cher and Barbra Streisand.

And Tchaikovsky ballet music, Andrea Bocelli, Il Divo, Katherine Jenkins and the Fron Male Voice Choir.

I even like some folk music (thanks to Ewan!!).

So how do you categorize me now?? :eek:)

Jan 9, 2008
Visit site
I'm sure you realise that it was a generalisation Soozeg. For me West Life and Take That are crap, manufactured dross doing covers and a lot more music dross and twirling to dancing round hand bag routines, when I heard Take That were coming back I just thought Marketing and Siomon Cowell or someone of that ilk.

Gary Barlow and that Howard (I think), what are they on. Cheesy or what! Makes my skin crawl.

But hey some of it is acceptable and if you like it that's great. But those two are fine examples showing how marketing triumphs over talent these days. Gary Barlow is a good musician and writer I guess, but belongs hidden away like Bernie Taupin.

But why should you be categorized!

I also like Judith Durham's and Helen Reddy's voices. Along with rock acts, my mates and I went to see Judith and the Seekers live in 71. One of the best most pure performers I have ever seen live.

Acts now can use a computer that samples the best of their voice and then alters their live voice when it comes out of the speakers at a "live" performance so they sound OK.

Boy bands lips rarely seem to synch with the music when they are said to be live I notice.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
In defence of Gary Barlow, he has written some great commercial songs and has done his time round the pubs and clubs, and if it gets young folks going to concerts then he can't be all bad.

Of course choreography started to become mainstream with the American vocal groups of the 1970s, and there has always been a svengali type in the background, from Norman Petty in Buddy Holly's day, Tom Parker with Elvis, and in the UK we had Jack Goode pulling the strings of Cliff Richard and his contemporaries, through to Brian Epstein and Malcom Mclaren.

We were spoiled in the past because besides being able to cover Led Zep tunes ( we always did Rock and Roll by them for the encore) we had Crossroads by Cream, there was a band ahead of it's time, and coverable stuff by your 'bread and butter' bands like Spencer Davies, The Animals and the Kinks. You Really Got Me was a great starter upper and would make the punters sit up and take notice.

I have to agree with Jason about Judith Durham, I still get goose bumps if I hear her sing.

Jan 9, 2008
Visit site
Agreed on GB'muso apprentiship S&C.

Hidden away in a pub or club is fine, should have stayed there and let others on the small screen

We had front row at Seekers, and goose bumps sums it up, same then and now. Fanatastic Voice.

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
Andrew (from his age) was referring to the Mod revival that took place in the late seventies/early eighties, started with The Jam and finished with the 2 tone scene (Specials, Madness, Selector, The Beat etc).

I was a biker then and the "rockers" were referred to as greasers, greboes or just plain bikers but not really rockers.

There was also a bit of a teddy boy revival around the same time.

I guess it was all part of the post punk phenomenon.

Just goes to prove there is nothing new under the sun but wasn't music better before it had all forms of originality manufactured out of it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts