legal requirements for replacement tyres.

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Some advice if I may ask. I believe that replacement tyres on cars and caravans must have the same load index as the original tyres fitted by the manufacturers or higher.
I ask because the garage from which I am buying my L200 has fitted cheap new tyres from china and I cant find any from the Joyroad brand that satisfy the (111) load requirement for a L200.
A trawl of the internet has thrown up the The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 regs 24-27 which state that the tyres must be able to carry the full load at the designated speed but I suspect that the garage will argue that I'm ok so long as i don't exceed the 950kg that the brand can handle. any advice greatly appreciated.

The rule about fitting equal or better tyres applies to trailers as well as tow vehicles.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Your garage is wrong you are correct. You can go down in speed rating as somevdo when fitting winter tyres but some cars have the speed ratings on the tally plate. If they don’t then advise your insurer but I’ve always been told with Load Index it is as per the tally plate or higher.

If not as per the tally plate or owners manual tell them deal is off or money back for proper rated tyres.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
The only information that the OP has given is that the vehicle is a Mitsubishi L200 and that the tyres fitted are rated at 950kgs maximum load.
The MTPLM of the vehicle is around 3000kgs which includes a payload of around 1000kgs.
The four tyres fitted (as described) can carry up to 3800kgs........on that basis I do not see a problem.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Most vehicles do not share their load equally across all their wheels, and especially pick ups and vans will tend to load their rear wheels more heavily. It would be better to check the max permitted axle loads on the vin plate, and use the highest axle load for determining tyre rating.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Mitsubishi L200 maximum rear axle load quoted in specifications as1800kgs.
Does saint-spoon want to carry in excess of 1000kgs in the load area?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If the maximum axle weight is 1800 kg then the tyres would meet the legal requirements with 100 kg to spare. Possibly you could overload one by having the weight at the back to one side but that seems unlikely. On that basis I do not see a case against the seller succeeding, but if you are not happy then do not buy it unless the tyres are changed.

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
The Association of British tire manufacturers has issued a statements on replacing tires and it states that legislation says that replacements must be the same or higher than original fit. The plate in the car states a (111) rating which covers max payload and the hand book says (111) rating. The dealer swapped the wheels off a newer series 5 L200 with factory fit tires, OK not brand new but plenty of tread left and they weren't £50 Chinese imports.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
saint-spoon said:
The Association of British tire manufacturers has issued a statements on replacing tires and it states that legislation says that replacements must be the same or higher than original fit. The plate in the car states a (111) rating which covers max payload and the hand book says (111) rating. The dealer swapped the wheels off a newer series 5 L200 with factory fit tires, OK not brand new but plenty of tread left and they weren't £50 Chinese imports.

Despite views that the vehicles load would be okay with the tyres originally supplied you have confirmed my understanding that you must fit OEM specified tyres wrt Load Index and Speed or better. The only flexibility is on speed rating where in some instances some winter tyres have a lower speed rating and in such cases it’s prudent to inform the insurer. Although my Forester had both summer and winter ratings in its tally plate and owners manual. So no need to inform the insurer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts