leisure Battery charge and mains charging

Jun 24, 2024
Visit site
Hi, we recently purchased a Bailey Ranger 470/4 2008 and the owner just put a new battery in the night before we purchased.

I was testing the water system out and noticed all the lights and electrics starting dimming/dying. I was hooked up to the mains at the time also. The DC voltage reading dropped to 9 (it doesn't go below that).

I check the fuses and noticed the fridge and Van Battery fuses where broken. I changed this and it didn't make a different.
I used a multimeter to test the battery and it gave a reading around 10, when I connected the mains again it didn't move so I am assuming something is broken or I am missing something.

As a newbie I have no other ideas of what to look for or test.

Can someone help or have experience with this model of caravan?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Two things:

The vans power supply unit (charger). Is either not working or turned off.

The 12 volt system is drawing too much current.

Or, most likely both.

Other than that, there is not enough info to go on.

John

Jun 24, 2024
Visit site
Two things:

The vans power supply unit (charger). Is either not working or turned off.

The 12 volt system is drawing too much current.

Or, most likely both.

Other than that, there is not enough info to go on.

John
Thanks @Jcloughie
I know it's hard to diagnose over a forum.
You.mention it could be turned off, where would I check the unit is switched on? The unit itself I can see everything is set on the on position. Is there so where else I should check?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It could be the battery is not connected properly, and in fact you may have been running the 12V system from the mains charger. This could account for the low voltage reading.

To test if this is the case, disconnect the mains hook up cable so only the battery might be running things, and then see if any of the 12V items function.

Many caravans have a seperate 12V (20A) fuse in the lead that connects to the battery.. If the battery polarity was accidentally connected the wrong way round when the battery was replaced, it would likely blow several fuses.

Reactions: Deejuk
Feb 23, 2024
Visit site
Yeh I agree with Prof, I had a blown fuse issue when I bought our old caravan. Check the fuse box and the battery connections and it should fingers crossed start charging.

Jun 24, 2024
Visit site
It could be the battery is not connected properly, and in fact you may have been running the 12V system from the mains charger. This could account for the low voltage reading.

To test if this is the case, disconnect the mains hook up cable so only the battery might be running things, and then see if any of the 12V items function.

Many caravans have a seperate 12V (20A) fuse in the lead that connects to the battery.. If the battery polarity was accidentally connected the wrong way round when the battery was replaced, it would likely blow several fuses.
I disconnected the mains and tried to turn on the lights. They flickered then died and I could hear a hissing type sound.

I checked for a amp on the cable into the battery and there was none. Just a black cable splitting out into a red and black connection. Reds connected to red and black to black. They seem tightly fitted.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It could be your charger is not working, on our Bailey we had a similar problem and in the back of the charger is a kettle type plug, that had come loose and needed putting back in , that solved our problem, in your case the age of the caravan makes me think the charger may be dead, and the previous owner fitted a new battery to show you everything working on 12 volt. If your battery is not charging, when you hook up to mains some items will work off the charger as if they were running off battery, I would check the kettle plug if you have one , and after that get your charger checked by a competent caravan technician, so that you can rule it in or out

Reactions: Jcloughie and JTQ
Jun 24, 2024
Visit site
Thanks @woodsieboy I removed the cover to expose the kettle like connector. It was slightly loose and I pushed firmly to put it in as far as it would go. Still no joy. I'm starting to think it's the charger from what everyone is saying so far.

How much would a charger cost? Also is there any recommendations for a good one?

Jun 24, 2024
Visit site
I've attached the battery in question, does it look ok connection wise. I removed the connection incase someone thinks that's my problem 😂

Attachments

• 1000026462.jpg
    1000026462.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello donno
The good news is that as far as I know Bailey are still fitting the same charger to current caravans, the Prima Leisure site shows your van as having been fitted with the current one originally, asuming yours has not been replaced before now, they are showing £129 but not offering delivery until August, so if it were me I would get a local caravan technician, probably mobile, to check yours out, it may be something simple and cheap to fix, if not once you have the spec you can shop around,you may even get one from a breakers.or there are firms that can repair/refurbish them, until you know for certain where the problem is I think you are going to struggle.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There are plenty of new ones available all roughly the same price, used one on ebay for £85 from breaker, if you explain the problem to a local tech he may have a local supplier, our service engineer is our 'go to' for anything electrical before we spend out anywhere else, because he has built up contacts over the years and is normally fairly quick too. If you post your location you may get recommendations from Forum members

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Since the OP has the power box open and has a voltmeter he should try removing the PSU and testing it on the bench with a kettle/computer mains cable by connecting the voltmeter to the output connector and switching the mains on. If it reads about 13.6V then the PSU is good, but if it is any other voltage the PSU is shot.
I would suggest contacting Apuljack at East Brent in Somerset. They have a good reputation for repair and will certainly be cheaper than a new unit!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Is this charger/PSU of a type that Apuljack repair or offer higher quality replacements. That company have an excellent reputation and are helpful on telephone enquiries.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Since the OP has the power box open and has a voltmeter he should try removing the PSU and testing it on the bench with a kettle/computer mains cable by connecting the voltmeter to the output connector and switching the mains on. If it reads about 13.6V then the PSU is good, but if it is any other voltage the PSU is shot.
I would suggest contacting Apuljack at East Brent in Somerset. They have a good reputation for repair and will certainly be cheaper than a new unit!
Shipping it from N I may be expensive?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts