Leisure battery connection (negative)

Apr 25, 2021
Visit site
Hi, just noticed this has become disconnected (see photo below) whilst doing some checks on the caravan before we go away in a couple of weeks. The leisure battery is in the house at the moment as we remove it during winter.

Is it easy and safe to reconnect this wire to the metal holding plate? Looks like it just needs unscrewing and putting back in? The power on the mains box inside is switched off.

Advice appreciated, thanks.

IMG_3721.jpeg

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes no problem reconnecting it. Try twisting the cores together and if you have access to a soldering iron a small amount of solder would aid clamping. Looking at the part that clamps the battery terminal it could do with cleaning using emery, or even a kitchen abrasive dish sponge. Then also a small application of white grease or petroleum jelly on the battery terminal and connector helps keep corrosion at bay.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Yes, that should be a simple fix provided you are sure that the loose wire has come adrift from the battery terminal connector as shown. I would also consider removing the other wire and twisting the copper strands of both wires together. Ideally soldering the two wires together would be a belt and braces solution. Providing the clamp can be tightened down firmly enough to secure both cables without any movement should be sufficient. Also, make sure there is no tension on the wires when you reconnect the battery. This should prevent the wires from coming adrift in future.

Apr 25, 2021
Visit site
Great thank you for the replies :) I don't have access to a soldering iron unfortunately, but the van is going in for a service in a few weeks so I'll ask if that can be sorted to secure it further.

Reactions: Hutch
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
If fitting the cable s described above does not hold it really tight, another way is to strip maybe an inch at the end, twist the strands, then bend it back over the outer and clamp the lot. Getting the best current handling is all about contact area, so squashing the inner using the outer will apply as much surface area as can be achieved,

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Soldering needs to be done with care. It can form a sharp transition between the soldered and bare wires and if the cable is able to flex at this point.. e.g when you repeatedly connect and disconnect...it can eventually fail.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I don’t like the look of that fixing. It failed so bin it. PC v msg this month is rewiring a battery box . The terminals are ones of the best I have seen. Use them. Please will one of the Mids attach the link from the mag👍

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I don’t like the look of that fixing. It failed so bin it. PC v msg this month is rewiring a battery box . The terminals are ones of the best I have seen. Use them. Please will one of the Mids attach the link from the mag👍
What type of terminals are being used. Could you scan a picture?

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
From next months PCv magazine. The new terminal allows more cables to be attached.
View attachment 6070
Lot of AGM batteries use screw terminals instead of the stud like on car starter batteries as shown in your article. Stud is essential for starter battery that needs larger contact surface area to conduct high starter currents.

AGM deep cycle batteries don't have same high current demands. Hence smaller contact area on their terminals.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Lot of AGM batteries use screw terminals instead of the stud like on car starter batteries as shown in your article. Stud is essential for starter battery that needs larger contact surface area to conduct high starter currents.

AGM deep cycle batteries don't have same high current demands. Hence smaller contact area on their terminals.
Unless I have misunderstood you I have only come across one AGM battery with screw terminals. They all seem to have the pole terminals.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Unless I have misunderstood you I have only come across one AGM battery with screw terminals. They all seem to have the pole terminals.
Most of my searches into 100AH batteries in NZ have screw terminals.
My quick search of UK sites were about 50% screw terminals.

Maybe pole terminals are more common in UK caravans I did change terminals on mine when replacing battery.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

Maybe pole terminals are more common in UK caravans I did change terminals on mine when replacing battery.
That’s now moving towards an attractive price band.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

That is a lithium battery which is different to the AGM battery?

Jan 29, 2024
Visit site
New battery terminal clamps can be purchased from any decent car parts store . The positive is a slightly larger diameter than the negative. An easy fix at little expense.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts