Leisure Battery.

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I've had to put my caravan into storage for now; when it was on the drive it was plugged into the mains to maintain the battery at optimum condition.

So I went up today to remove the battery and store it in the garage on a smart charger.

O.M.G. I had no idea of the weigh of the thing, nearly crippled me, it's a 120 amp so it's big ( as advised by the dealer when bought ) although I think he just wanted a sale.

Anyway it's now on the bench and plugged in but I certainly won't be moving it about much. I'm going to weigh it latter to see just how heavy it is.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I've had to put my caravan into storage for now; when it was on the drive it was plugged into the mains to maintain the battery at optimum condition.

So I went up today to remove the battery and store it in the garage on a smart charger.

O.M.G. I had no idea of the weigh of the thing, nearly crippled me, it's a 120 amp so it's big ( as advised by the dealer when bought ) although I think he just wanted a sale.

Anyway it's now on the bench and plugged in but I certainly won't be moving it about much. I'm going to weigh it latter to see just how heavy it is.
Probably around 25kg dependant on quality of brand. More or less lead used. I always check the carrying handles before lifting as I had one break once. Fortunately I’ve still got my toes.

Edit. I too slide it out onto the step then carry it to the car by lifting it in its tray. At home it sits on an old step in the garage. I try and avoid using the handles where possible.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

I find it useful to lift/slide the heavy battery out onto the caravan step, almost perfect height where I can disconnect the cables and then lift the battery straight up for carrying.

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Fortunately the power leads are long enough to slide it out of the compartment and onto the ground, just caught me out as I didn't expect that sort of weight.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We used to go off grid often so the bigger the battery the better. I think we currently have a 110. But very rarely go off grid now and we have 120 watts of solar. I feel sure that a 75 amp would serve the purpose and do the mover. Good wait saving.

John

Reactions: pensioner
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I agree, Lots of ampheres are good for off grid, only done that once, in 12 years, So when present battery fails , go down to a 85 amh. Battery save 10,kg on caravan weight.

Reactions: pensioner
Oct 3, 2013
Visit site

Hi,
The higher the Ah rating of the battery the more lead it contains (and the heavier it gets ).Caravan battery boxes in caravans are rediculously small,absolutely no need for it,blame the short sighted caravan design people who I suspect are not really designers.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We have brought a brand new caravan battery today the halfords one has gone and looking at this discussion about how heavy i would let the caravan services do it and it was fully charged .

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi,
The higher the Ah rating of the battery the more lead it contains (and the heavier it gets ).Caravan battery boxes in caravans are rediculously small,absolutely no need for it,blame the short sighted caravan design people who I suspect are not really designers.

I think that caravan designers, most, if not all of the time, find it easier to simply specify a Thetford battery box. The doors infill panel is then filled to match the side wall. But the plastic surround usually does not match the rest of the van making it look odd. Particularly on my past Bailey Unicorn.

John

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi,
Standard battery boxes are quite big enough as most caravanners use sites with EHU most of the time - and most of those going off hook-up will use a solar panel. A bigger battery box would be a total waste for most caravanners.

For the minority that need more battery capacity, it's not difficult to fit another battery box or create a vented compartment under one of the bed boxes

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My caravan battery box will take a 125amp and still had room to spare so that good news if i want a bigger one next time .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts