Length of caravan and car through switzerland

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
will hopefully be travelling through switzerland but have just read they dont allow outfits longer then 12m in total if towed by a 2wd car. Measured my outfit and it comes to about this. are they hot on this and would it be wise to get an exact measurement. also out of interest why do they stipulate this.( i do know its 18.35m if towed by a 4wd). many thanks for any info

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Where on Earth did you get that information from? Firstly, what has the the number of driven axles on the towcar got to do with the overall length? Secondly, the maximum length of an outfit in Switzerland is 18.75m, not 12m. (12m is the maximum permissible overall length of the caravan)

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Hi Lutz thanks for that but as a newbie driving through to Italy for the first time i can only but trust in the information sent to me by the tour operator ( in this case eurocamp independant and select sites )in there European guide which states and i quote " Caravan length- The total length of the caravan and vehicle which is towing it including the tow bar must not exceed 12 metres, unless towed by a 4 wheel drive vehicle, when the total length of the outfit can be as much as 18.35metres.Otherwise entry into the country will be refused. The width must not exceed 2.5 metres "

I have seen many of your replies on a host of topics so would appreciate your thoughts.

G

On some mountain roads you can only use them with 4 wheel drive in winter snow conditions.

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Hi Euro in a country like Switzerland i can see the logic behind normal 2wd against 4wd especially off peak. The guide that was sent says nothing about seasonal differences. Would just like to know whether or not to believe what i have read, if it was a newspaper fair enough, use my own common sense. just a shame that even though swiss not in EU we cant all sing from the same sheet

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
There are no regulations stating that the towcar must be a 4x4, even in winter, although snowchains may be required on some mountain passes. In fact, you will probably be surprised how few 4x4's you will see towing caravans on the Continent (becuase there is no such thing as a 85% weight ratio recommendation on the other side of the Channel).

Besides, the overall length limit in Switzerland is 18.75m, not 18.35m, and the width limit is 2.55m, not 2.5m, so someone hadn't done his homework properly.

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Besides, the overall length limit in Switzerland is 18.75m, not 18.35m, and the width limit is 2.55m, not 2.5m, so someone hadn't done his homework properly

Or they built in a small margin for error !!!!

G

There are no regulations stating that the towcar must be a 4x4, even in winter, although snowchains may be required on some mountain passes. In fact, you will probably be surprised how few 4x4's you will see towing caravans on the Continent (becuase there is no such thing as a 85% weight ratio recommendation on the other side of the Channel).

Besides, the overall length limit in Switzerland is 18.75m, not 18.35m, and the width limit is 2.55m, not 2.5m, so someone hadn't done his homework properly.
May be local police, but we've been on Swiss mountain roads in winter where the police would only let 4x4 on them, 2wd with chains turned away.

But you would never be towing a caravan on them!

I've also been on English moorland roads in winter where they only let 4x4 on them in snow.

Just winter safety sense may be, but nothing to do with towing.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com

I am trying to fathom out why a 4x4 is any more safe in winter than 2-wheel drive. OK, so it's nice to have the extra traction to get going where others have got stuck and that may make one less likely to be a hindrance to other traffic, but why does that make a 4x4 any more safe? It can't stop any quicker and I would have thought that is more important for dafety.

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi Tim B,

We towed down to Switzerland a few years ago with no problems. I imagine you will be taking the French motoway routes and entering Switzerland near Geneva? Depending on your route through Switzerland into Italy, you will either be crossing via the Simplon Pass or St Gotthard Pass. We went to Italy via the Simplon Pass and it was not a problem for us, nothing too steep although the inclines are long and no tight bends. Beautiful scenery all the way. Be aware, if you use the Swiss motorways you will require a vignette for both the car and caravan (about 24 SFr for each in 2004). We used the Caravan Club Red Pennant, which paid for itself when we broke down in France on a Sunday Bastille weekend. Well worth it! (The Red Pennant, not the break down). Enjoy your trip, we did!!!!

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Hi David thanks for that. Although it will be our first trip so never to sure which way to go we have decided to go through Belgium and Luxembourg staying near Thionville, France for our first night. From there heading towards Strasbourg then Basel staying in Switzerland at Seeland in Sempach. we then head into Italy via the Gotthard tunnel using the motorway to Lake Garda.

I have already bought the motorway vignettes to avoid any extra hold ups, hoping the

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
You will love the roads in the top end of Europe and Switzerland. The roads in Italy appear to get the same funding as our British ones. You will see a marked difference as soon as you cross the Italian border. Enjoy your trip, wish we was following you down there, alas work prevents it this year!

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
David, stop, my juices are running not going away till the 27th just want to hitch up and go now. Seriously though have used this forum last couple of weeks and have learned so much from people like yourself. I know my journey will be alot more rewarding and towing will be so much safer. many thanks

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I have yet to see an outfit that is anything close to 18.75m long or a caravan that is over 12m. Even the enormous Dethleffs Megaron is only 11.5m long and there can't be many of them around.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts