Les Castels- Dordogne

Sep 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi Folks,
Don't know what happened there....
Saint Avit Loisirs or Le Moulins Du Roch in August?
12/9 year old kids...unheated pools at Saint Avit a problem??
Any comments greatfully received
Regards
Cookie

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I don't think, in August, the unheated pools will be a problem at all especially as St Avit Loisirs has an indoor pool. Choice depends on what you want from a site. Le Moulin du Roch pool is quite small and 'sedate' - a proper swimming pool rather than leisure pool - and it wouldn't have been enough for my children at that age. St Avit is a more 'full-on' site, with a proper 'pool complex' with several pools, fountains, and the 'river' slide. Both are in a similar area - a slightly quieter part of the Dordogne, and you'll need a car to get around. I think both sites have Eurocamp mobile homes and tents - or they did in the past - but the sites are very different.
Le Moulin Roch is a very lovely site, with the cleanest sanitary facilities I've seen in a long time, and appeared to cater well for children, but just doesn't have the 'wow' factor of St Avit - which I think will appeal more to older children and teenagers.

Sep 28, 2007
Visit site
thanks Val A ....never one to let us down, are you?
Thanks for the comment!
Regards
Dave
P.S. we had already put a deposit down on St Avit, but the better half then spotted Le Moulin....You've just saved me 111 Euros!:)

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
We called at both these sites about 3 years ago. We had paid for a whole week at St Avit with the Caravan Club but pulled out after 3 nights and went to Moulin du Roch. St Avit probably has more for your children to do but the touring pitches we thought were an "after-thought" and the main part of the site was the statics. We moved pitches and could not get one level enought to put out awning up. There had been rain and the ground was orange clay. Pitches were much better at Moulin and it was to the usual Castels standard. (St Avit has only recently joined). At Moulin du Roch you are closer to Sarlat and Eyzises for days out.

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Cheers Val for the information. We have been looking at the St. Avit Loisirs site as well and was wondering which was the best way to get there. I think with the distances involved, and given that it will be late July when we are travelling, we will need to have an overnight stop which ever route we decide to take. Next question is whether it is better to go from Calais, Caen or St. Malo. We will be travelling from the North West of England and have travelled to France before from Portsmouth to both caen and St. malo but never from Calais. Any further thoughts/tips would be most welcome.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
It depends what are your priorities. These days ours is always budget - so we use the short crossings, and recently have only paid £58.00 for return crossings with car and caravan (using a code issued by DFDS at the Caravan Show - and possibly to be repeated at the France Show in a week or so???). The shorter crossings can still be had for a very reasonable price though, with the Caravan Club, or Camping Cheques. There's probably a couple of hundred kilometres difference in the distance once you get to France. We use the Abbeville, Rouen, Chartres, Orleans, Vierzon route - also for budget reasons, as we can do most of it non-toll. On our way to the Dordogne in recent years we have stayed at either Salbris (nice little site alongside a lake) or Vatan (another nice little site, easy access off the A20 to both north and south). Both these sites are within walking distance of the village, a supermarket is nearby, and the facilities on both are fine for overnight stops.

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
We,ve been down to Sarlat in the dordogne for the last two years and can recommend Camping Perieres there - you can walk down into town from the site. I came back one year on the Chartres/ Rouen route and would also recommend it.

Sep 28, 2007
Visit site
Try Again!
Thanks for the route Val!
if i come down to perigueux there is the D710 straight down to St Avit. Does anyone know if it's suitable for a large single axle?
Thanks
Dave

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
That road is fine - we went down it in a 26' twin axle. The only thing I would say is that we had trouble following the CC directions. We took the following turning on the right by the garden centre which we found to be more caravan friendly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts