Les Ranchisses, Ardeche

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Currently considering this site for 2 weeks in August. Looking for good sized pitches, good pool but not too fussed on organised entertainment .Any views on the site would be greatly appreciated. Andy

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Andy - we've been there - but not in August - and as you'll probably know sites can be very different in low and high season. I did a review on the UKCS campsite - here:

"Yes, twice!! Lovely site. Fabulous mediaeval village 'L'Argentiere' nearby, with a great weekly market (difficult parking, though unless you go early). Pool absolutely fabulous for an early morning swim - and apparently they're now adding a sauna, jacuzzi, and 'aquakids' area. Approach to the site not too good - you think you are driving up to the local 'Builders' Merchant' as you drive up the Valley - but worth waiting for. Lovely owners. The restaurant is superb, and Philippe and Veronique are really 'hands-on' owners who are extremely helpful. The area is lovely - you're away from the 'madding crowd' but near enough to the main attractions of the Ardeche.

Pitches are a good size - not as 'regular' as some French sites we've been on, but everyone has their own 'definite' area. There's a small river running through the site, and a 'pond/lake' for the kids to play around it. Sanitary blocks are hosed down twice a day with delightfuly Lavender smelling steam."

However, someone else posted the following:

"We went to this site several times in the past and loved it for the first couple of years. Our last visit included the worst weather you could imagine but it wasn't this that stopped us visiting. It was much noisier than in the past with children playing around the toilet blocks until late in the night and the swimming pool too small to cope. I would like to think that the site taking a well known ready erected tent company on board was a coincidence but I am not sure that it was. I've nothing against ready erected tent companies as we use them ourselves now and again but I do think they give a site a busier feel. Perhaps we were just unlucky and the weather affected us more that we thought as it is a lovely site and area and we may well return one day."

I hope the site hasn't been spoiled, because we do plan to go back this year some time. Perhaps someone who's been in August, and perhaps more recently than us (four years ago) can add to this.

Jul 2, 2006
Visit site
Andy - we've been there - but not in August - and as you'll probably know sites can be very different in low and high season. I did a review on the UKCS campsite - here:

"Yes, twice!! Lovely site. Fabulous mediaeval village 'L'Argentiere' nearby, with a great weekly market (difficult parking, though unless you go early). Pool absolutely fabulous for an early morning swim - and apparently they're now adding a sauna, jacuzzi, and 'aquakids' area. Approach to the site not too good - you think you are driving up to the local 'Builders' Merchant' as you drive up the Valley - but worth waiting for. Lovely owners. The restaurant is superb, and Philippe and Veronique are really 'hands-on' owners who are extremely helpful. The area is lovely - you're away from the 'madding crowd' but near enough to the main attractions of the Ardeche.

Pitches are a good size - not as 'regular' as some French sites we've been on, but everyone has their own 'definite' area. There's a small river running through the site, and a 'pond/lake' for the kids to play around it. Sanitary blocks are hosed down twice a day with delightfuly Lavender smelling steam."

However, someone else posted the following:

"We went to this site several times in the past and loved it for the first couple of years. Our last visit included the worst weather you could imagine but it wasn't this that stopped us visiting. It was much noisier than in the past with children playing around the toilet blocks until late in the night and the swimming pool too small to cope. I would like to think that the site taking a well known ready erected tent company on board was a coincidence but I am not sure that it was. I've nothing against ready erected tent companies as we use them ourselves now and again but I do think they give a site a busier feel. Perhaps we were just unlucky and the weather affected us more that we thought as it is a lovely site and area and we may well return one day."

I hope the site hasn't been spoiled, because we do plan to go back this year some time. Perhaps someone who's been in August, and perhaps more recently than us (four years ago) can add to this.
lovely site and area some pitches near road can be a bit noisy apart from that would highly recomend

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts