Level crossings should you phone the operator

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Ok but what will that gain by looking left and right when across the crossing?To me that is wasting precious time.Saying that you might get its final destination point of the front.LOL

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
steveinleo said:
However should twerp nav of mis-lead you down to an un-barriered crossing, it would be prudent to phone for advice, if the phone exist's and the local "hill billy's" haven't wrecked it. Failing that you could post a lookout (responssible adult).

Gafferbill said:
........the only "un-barriered crossing" I have seen in this country is for pedestrians only.

steveinleo said:
There are plenty of rail crossings in the back lanes of Wales and Scotland where there are no automatic barriers or gates. Ok, they might be on very remote back lanes, but the caravanner's quest for the big outdoors and cheaper sites might just lead along these lanes.

......yes Steve but these crossings will be the opposite of 'un-barriered' as you put it.

There will always be closed barriers across the road barring road traffic at this type of rail crossing.
The rules and regulations for using these crossings with a vehicle were posted by Sproket earlier on in this topic.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I'm not suggesting that people should treat a level crossing like a give way junction and slow to a virtual halt, but simply to quickly look side to side.
It's something I've done for many years and it paid dividends when I was driving trucks as you soon learn to look for all those blind spots where car drivers, motor bikers and cyclist's will place themselves assuming they have right of way over trucks.

If you "up your game" with being observant, you'd be suprised just how much extra road and time you have to react with. As much as 80% of advanced motorist training is about observation and anticipation. Only 20% of the training is about vehicle handling.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts