Lifepo4 Batteries

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I know the advantages of Lifepo4 batteries, and I notice that the prices have dropped dramatically. You can now get a 100AH one for around £200. My question is, are they worth buying, has anyone tried one of the cheaper ones, or is it a case of you get what you pay for?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In most cases the built in battery charger in caravans is only designed to charge Lead Acid batteries. It would not provide optimum management of other types of battery.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
According to Elddis and the battery supplier, the charger in our 2018 is capable to recharging a lithium battery however we prefer to stick with AGM. I am unsure about the solar panel controller, but doubt if it will be an issue.

Lithium is ideal if you go off grid a lot and it also increases your payload by a couple of kg. (y):)

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Lithium batteries of this size generally have built in charging circuitry to deal with traditional 12V chargers... I use smaller LiFe batteries (1.6AH) and they are excellent, taking many charging cycles, maintaining output voltage and being able to be discharged to a much deeper level than the 50% for LA...

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
When I bought my new Apuljack charger I was offered an alternative design for lithium batteries . The alternative cannot be used with Lead acid. Clearly it’s not just about changing the battery type

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
When I bought my new Apuljack charger I was offered an alternative design for lithium batteries . The alternative cannot be used with Lead acid. Clearly it’s not just about changing the battery type
For most caravans would need to disable built in AGM charger eg pull fuse. Then use a LiFePO4 charger connected to one of vans AC outlets. In my case there is one under seat for supplying fridge.

Reactions: Anseo
Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
I just unplugged the fitted "charger" and used that supply to feed a new Victron charger. A year later when I got the lithium battery I just reprogrammed the Victron.
I await to see just how often I have to turn the charger on over the next summer as I suspect that the 120w of solar combined with a 90% DOD of the battery will take care of most of my power requirements.

Reactions: Anseo and Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts