Light scratch/scuff down side of caravan body

May 4, 2022
Visit site
Hello

We was towing down a country lane, come head to head with a tractor and ended up with a full length scuff down the side of our caravan caused by the dense bushes.

You can only see the scuff/scratch when the sun light is on the van and you are within 10ft of the van.

We have a swift and the scratch/scuff goes over the windows and the swift decal on the side. The scuff/scratch is full length of the van.

However you can not really feel it.

What do you think is the best product / technique to repair this scratch/scuff please

Thank you

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Cannot advise on the bodywork, but if window is scratched, purchase some Brasso pads from your local supermarkets and use them to erase the scratch on the window. Gently buffer the scratch with the pad until is is gone.
The window on our Lunar got a deep scratch compliments of a narrow entrance to a campsite and me being distracted watching the front of the car while turning in. Brasso removed it no issue and you could not see the mark.

Reactions: Bazzel33
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Try something like Auto Glym Super Resin Polish in the first instance. I have used it on all sorts of similar marks on cars/caravan and motorhomes with considerable success.

Reactions: Bazzel33
May 4, 2022
Visit site
Try something like Auto Glym Super Resin Polish in the first instance. I have used it on all sorts of similar marks on cars/caravan and motorhomes with considerable success.
We have the Auto Glym Super Resin Polish Complete kit, So we can try that now.

Any do's or dont's you can recommend please?

We will clean the area before applying.

Do we go along the scratch or can we do a circular wiping motion?

Do we leave it on for a few minutes? Wash it straight off?

Thanks

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Circular motions along the mark (not on the decal though) and be sure to let it TOTALLY dry before polishing it off (As per the instructions on the bottle)
It's good stuff, my local valet guy uses nothing else, which is decent enough a recommendation for me

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have the Auto Glym Super Resin Polish Complete kit, So we can try that now.

Any do's or dont's you can recommend please?

We will clean the area before applying.

Do we go along the scratch or can we do a circular wiping motion?

Do we leave it on for a few minutes? Wash it straight off?

Thanks
Small circular motions. No need to leave it on as there’s no benefit. It’s the rubbing that removes the scratches

May 4, 2022
Visit site
Circular motions along the mark (not on the decal though) and be sure to let it TOTALLY dry before polishing it off (As per the instructions on the bottle)
It's good stuff, my local valet guy uses nothing else, which is decent enough a recommendation for me
Thanks.

Any recommendations for what to do along the decal?

May 4, 2022
Visit site
We have used white toothpaste and it has removed the scuff really well.
applied the toothpaste to a handheld polishing pad and then a light circular motion along the scratch.

However where the decal is, the toothpaste did not work.

Tried DW40 on the decal and no luck.

The toothpaste also worked on the windows.

Now we just have figure how we remove the scuff from where the decal is.

Could not pick the scuff up on a photo due to lighting. :-(

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sadly scuffs on caravans are common place these days. Glad yours is sorted.
Whilst the toothpaste worked for you do remember it is an abrasive more so probably than liquid T cut. Clive has already warned that caravan paint is very thin.
Keep the bodywork clean and heavily polished with Autoglym super resin or similar. This helps to limit the damage caused by a scuff.
The Decals are almost impossible to repair. Best replace with new.

Reactions: otherclive
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
You will be gob-smacked at the price for replacing the decals I think.

No further advice from me beyond that already given I'm afraid.

In essence you are rubbing a fine gritty compound onto the scratch to bring the depth of the scratch level with the surrounding paint/window. Decals will not react as plastic and paint do to this treatment.

Hope you eventually get a result.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When we had our caravan i use Fenwicks Windowize scratch remover it removed the scuffs and scatches and for the body i use Auto Glym Super resin polish easy to apply and rub off

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts