Lock N Level Twin Axle Purchase

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I managed to buy a second hand Alko from EBay which I used at home along with a Milenco. I thought that 2 x locks plus 101 other devices would be mandatory when we had the twin axle but the CAMHC insurance was quite relaxed, you only NEED certain devices if you claim the discount.
My used Alko lozenge came from a Swift dealership, and the lock barrel from Ebay so quite a cheap purchase overall.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Ok checked with the boss ;)

It states we need a lock (doesn’t stipulate 2) while it’s stored or on a campsite
Apologies for labouring the point. Most Twin Axles require a lock fitted to each axle. The winter edition of the Financial Ombudsman service threw out a customers complaint. He’d only fitted a lock to one axle not both. Policy said one lock must be fitted to each axle.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
With only one lock on a twin axle it’s possible to tilt the caravan such that the locked axle is off of the ground hence allowing the caravan to be towed on the unlocked axle.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Apologies for labouring the point. Most Twin Axles require a lock fitted to each axle. The winter edition of the Financial Ombudsman service threw out a customers complaint. He’d only fitted a lock to one axle not both. Policy said one lock must be fitted to each axle.
With CAMC we got an exemption and the requirement was for the lock to be fitted to the rear wheel. No penalty cost to us, but they had to contact the underwriter.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
With only one lock on a twin axle it’s possible to tilt the caravan such that the locked axle is off of the ground hence allowing the caravan to be towed on the unlocked axle.
If lock is on front axle you have to lift it quite high to clear the ground. Not sure if having shock absorbers would require it to be lifted any higher?

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
I guess deflating the tyre on the locked wheel would overcome that problem.
Never actually thought of that…..good point.

But, if the insurance actually states in B&W the caravan must ‘only have a lock‘ in their terms, but not plural….then I guess one lock would be sufficient, to make sure we are covered.

But yes I do get what your saying, and in our case it would be wise to stick both on, just in case

I wonder how the LockNLevel would fair sitting out deflated during winter.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
All policies are different, even from the same place. Our CAMHC policy for a 2018 Sprite Quattro EB stated clearly that only a hitch lock was required plus ONE other security device, in my case it was one wheel lock. I had this clarified by the CAMHC in writing. If you do comply with other security offers then you get a discount on your premium, but if you do go for these then they must be fitted. In our case the price of 2 x sets of Alko locks wasn't worth it for the £35 a year discount.

Reactions: Bluetonic
Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
I had the Lock & Level for a twin axle and as a levelling aid it was brilliant. I fitted a 12 volt socket in the battery box to run the compressor from the off side. My insurance policy was done without claiming the Alko lock discount so I used a Milenco wheel lock on site.
We do exactly the same.
I’m still on the fence with the cost and what it does, and how it’s made of…..has anyone else been in the same situation?

It raises the caravan, which may or may not be required depending on the pitch….thats it :p

Really think this should be priced around the £180-£200, or am I wrong….:unsure:
I can't remember what we paid 5 years ago for ours, but it's still going strong. As we mostly use wonky CL sites it is worth its weight in gold for levelling a TA van.
I'd pay £240 for a replacement if ours could not be repaired. Way cheaper and lighter than a self levelling system

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

But, if the insurance actually states in B&W the caravan must ‘only have a lock‘ in their terms, but not plural….then I guess one lock would be sufficient, to make sure we are covered.

But yes I do get what your saying, and in our case it would be wise to stick both on, just in case

I think I would ask the maker. It will be UV protected to some extent, and sunlight in winter isn’t so strong but damage might build up progressively.

Reactions: Saxo Appeal
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I guess deflating the tyre on the locked wheel would overcome that problem.
I would think that if you deflated the rear wheel the caravan would be even lower to the ground making it very difficult to tow without ripping off the back end plus the wheel cannot turn anyway?

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Closed my eyes, gave a big sighhh ….clicked BUY and purchased the Twin Lock N Level on Amazon UK (spare vouchers)

Just out of curiosity, and to test before using on the caravan. Could I practice on the back wheel of our car? 🙈

Reactions: Dustydog and GaryB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Closed my eyes, gave a big sighhh ….clicked BUY and purchased the Twin Lock N Level on Amazon UK (spare vouchers)

Just out of curiosity, and to test before using on the caravan. Could I practice on the back wheel of our car? 🙈
Should not be a problem. Just make sure that you have a mat between the bag and the floor. if on a gravel driveway.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Good move, you won’t regret it! I bought a cheap 12 volt compressor and a pair of rubber car mats (to use under the air bags as protection) from Halfords. I also fitted a second 12 volt socket in the battery box to make it easier to use the Lock & Level on the off side.

May 7, 2012
Visit site

If it said a lock then one would be enough. It would have to be a mistake in the policy though as all insurers are wise to that one and say either two or one on each axle.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

What we used to do is lift the caravan as high as possible with the Lock n level, fit both the locks, lower both the steadies on the nearside, deflate the bags and remove the Lock n level and then lift the steadies.

We would lift the rear steady a bit first and then the front one and then back to rear and then front again. The height was minimal so I don't suppose it caused any strain on the chassis of the caravan, but others may differ?

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Good move, you won’t regret it! I bought a cheap 12 volt compressor and a pair of rubber car mats (to use under the air bags as protection) from Halfords. I also fitted a second 12 volt socket in the battery box to make it easier to use the Lock & Level on the off side.
I presume there isn’t a kit to do this, it’s basically buy all the parts the drill hole and fit?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The grammar used in the picture refers to "either a wheele or axle lock" in the singular.

....BUT it also says "any other security devices listed on this schedule are in operation," This means you need to scour the entire document for any references relating to security devices , and make sure you comply with those also.

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
The grammar used in the picture refers to "either a wheele or axle lock" in the singular.

....BUT it also says "any other security devices listed on this schedule are in operation," This means you need to scour the entire document for any references relating to security devices , and make sure you comply with those also.
More added

IMG_1048.jpeg

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I presume there isn’t a kit to do this, it’s basically buy all the parts the drill hole and fit?
I bought the bits from a place online called “12 volt planet” and ran it directly from the adjacent battery terminals through an inline fuse. I mounted it near to the mains inlet socket in the battery box.

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
I bought the bits from a place online called “12 volt planet” and ran it directly from the adjacent battery terminals through an inline fuse. I mounted it near to the mains inlet socket in the battery box.
Do you have any photos Gary of this work?

This is a great idea, as I was thinking of buying an extension cable for the inflator to the car

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts