Locking Wheel Nuts on new vans

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just ordered a new Elddis Crusader which comes with alloy wheels. Can anyone tell me if the wheels come with locking nuts or am I expected to purchase these? If so, are there special kits or will any locking wheel nut do?

Advice gratefully received

John

Feb 13, 2006
Visit site
Hi John

The Crusaders wheels are held on with bolts and no unfortunatly they do not have locking wheel studs. I am in exactly the same position as you and am trying to source lock studs. I went to halfords with a stud in my hand the guy behind the counter looked at it and shookhis head. To me they look a standard metric fit. First to locate a set please post price and availability

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John, try www.performancealloys.com/locknuts.asp

There is a set made by McGard consisting of 4 bolts and the key for

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi folks - thanks for swift response so far. I did see a set of locks on the Riversway Leisure (Preston) website which intimated that they fitted alloys, but do they fit the BPW axles? Wmmm! Maybe there is still someone out there who will have an answer - I might ring one of the Elldis dealers tomorrow! Will let you know.

Cheers so far

G

I may be being a bit naive, but if your van is being left in a place where you suspect wheel theft to be a problem, then theft of the van itself may be a bigger issue to consider. I know our local 'neds' usually have a few spare bricks in their pockets just in case, but the market for caravan wheels is a bit limited, as compared with cars. After all, would you buy a set if offered in the back room of the 'Rat and Ferret'?? You will already have wheelclamps fitted so if the thief has got through these then the wheel nuts are not likely to pose a problem. Maybe I am lucky, my cheapo van only has steel wheels.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I may be being a bit naive, but if your van is being left in a place where you suspect wheel theft to be a problem, then theft of the van itself may be a bigger issue to consider. I know our local 'neds' usually have a few spare bricks in their pockets just in case, but the market for caravan wheels is a bit limited, as compared with cars. After all, would you buy a set if offered in the back room of the 'Rat and Ferret'?? You will already have wheelclamps fitted so if the thief has got through these then the wheel nuts are not likely to pose a problem. Maybe I am lucky, my cheapo van only has steel wheels.
Prevention is better than cure Scotchlad! There has never been an issue with wheels being stollen in my area (non that I know of anyway) but I wouldn't like to be the first - especially for the sake of a few quid.

Cheers

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi folks - what a day!

I am reliably informed - I think - that Bulldog alloy locking bolts will fit the Elddis alloy wheels/axle. But what fun finding out. I spoke to 3 separate Elddis dealers - parts/service - who weren't exactly sure and would "get back to me". All three later confirmed that they "presume" locking bolts available in accessory shops would work fine - worth trying!!

Bulldog advised that they were confident there own alloy wheel locking bolts would be fine - try them!

Explorer group were great!!! "Don't know" said customer services "I can tell you the bolt size we fit to our caravans". "I can provide you with a telephone number for the wheel/tyre supplier we use - they might help"!! "I don't think we sell special kits for this".

Whow!

Have decided to buy pair of Bulldogs (

Feb 13, 2006
Visit site
Hi John

I got sorted out with locking wheel bolts from our local locksmith/shop who stocks bulldog products, usual story handed him a stud to compare and got the headshake, then a twinkle came in hs eye and he said, "thats of a caravan" this guy was sharp, walked straight to a shelf and handed me 2 packs of bulldog lock studs the code is WS 1 for steel wheels which is what I got they were a perfect match for the original studs and fit perfectly to the hub/alloy wheel on the Crusader. There is also a code WS 5 for alloy wheels, take your pick.

Price was

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi John

I got sorted out with locking wheel bolts from our local locksmith/shop who stocks bulldog products, usual story handed him a stud to compare and got the headshake, then a twinkle came in hs eye and he said, "thats of a caravan" this guy was sharp, walked straight to a shelf and handed me 2 packs of bulldog lock studs the code is WS 1 for steel wheels which is what I got they were a perfect match for the original studs and fit perfectly to the hub/alloy wheel on the Crusader. There is also a code WS 5 for alloy wheels, take your pick.

Price was

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts