Looking for a decent cheap sat nav

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Does it do full UK postcodes or just partials?
How do you get the maps updated?
Does it carry speed camera data and how is it updated?
Does it have PoI's and how do they get updated?
Does it speak English with a clear British or US accent?
Finally - and most importantly - how do you get it fixed under warranty?

• Sad
Reactions: Galgo slave

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
From reading reviews from various sales sites the overwhelming view is that they are not good.
Comments include unable to update maps, difficult to use, does not take account of vehicle size even though size entered, handbook useless.

Things are cheapo for a reason !!!!!!!!!

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
I am on my second Pro Drive Europe sat nav. You can put the length, height and width weight and number of axles. It has over 30,000 campsites loaded. I paid £79.99 for my latest one. I only got rid of the first one as I couldn't be bothered to update it. I had it for 5 years so it only cost me about £17 a year. The only time it took me the wrong way was when I put the wrong destination in I will most probably get a new one in another 3 years if this one needs updating as I can't be bothered to.

Reactions: Galgo slave
Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
I've use the Navmii phone app. Handy for offline navigation abroad too. Has a vehicle size option which will stop you being routed down narrow roads.

+1 for Navmii on the phone. I used TomTom standalone for years until it died, I tried a couple of phone apps and settled on Navmii. I use the RV/small truck setting when towing and it's never sent me wrong yet. I can't remember which map database it uses, but it's one of those where a community of users updates the map and you download updates when the notification comes through!

You can use it totally off line as Custard says, so no massive data charges, but if you stay online it has a traffic warning function which I use sometimes.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I looked into apps a couple of years ago and subscribed to and installed CoPilot. It worked very well. I did not renew due to covid. So I have just had another good look. So for as I can see, CoPilot are the only ones offering caravan/motorhome route planning on a smart phone app. Others allow you to plan on a computer and then transfer them to the phone, ViaMichelin, TomTom. But CoPilot does it live.

If I am wrong please let me know.

This is there pricing structure. £26 per year beats buying a dedicated unit.

John

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Tbh Im not sure how much use the vehicle size facility is. Its rare indeed on a journey that you will find your caravan too high and roads with weight and width limit are usually clearly marked. The entrances and access lanes to some campsites are often very narrow but are always passable with care.

With this in mind my wifes car has the Garmin unit fitted with free live updates, speed cam database and also importantly a dashcam built in which is excellent. Throw in hands free and voice command and it all adds up to a highly efficient unit. It also warns of traffic issues and dangerous situations like severe bends.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’ve got a Garmin Drive Smart61 and it does everything that I require. Free lifetime updates, real traffic information, voice command, Bluetooth to phone and wifi updating. It links to Garmin route planning software Basecamp. So you can plan your routes to give exact entry route into a site. But I didn’t tend to use it rather set the satnav to the site but have a few notes for the final exact arrival direction. I always familiarised myself with the “ landing approach” using Google Earth.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Tbh Im not sure how much use the vehicle size facility is. Its rare indeed on a journey that you will find your caravan too high and roads with weight and width limit are usually clearly marked. The entrances and access lanes to some campsites are often very narrow but are always passable with care.

With this in mind my wifes car has the Garmin unit fitted with free live updates, speed cam database and also importantly a dashcam built in which is excellent. Throw in hands free and voice command and it all adds up to a highly efficient unit. It also warns of traffic issues and dangerous situations like severe bends.

Hard to agree with that. Try doing a comparison with the same start and end destination with caravan route turned on and off. I have with TomTom and Via Michelin. Then examine the roads it is avoiding. The make sens.

I used my TomTom camper (before it gave up the ghost), successfully. But when it had to be rebooted, it lost the settings I had entered for height and weight and length.

This is what it tried to take me through in deepest France:

31DACD92-3125-4CE3-9080-1038D4D9A98B.png
0ADC7D40-D85C-4908-8D64-0783A9A0AB82.png

At first I was not bothered as I was following a lorry. But then he peeled off to the left. Next I am desperately grieving to think if 2.6 m is enough. Then I saw the estate road on the right, I am pleased to say. Loads of traffic behind me. It all happened very fast.

I then had a 20 mile diversion to get to the other side of the railway line.

Of course there are methods of pre-planning routes. But personally, I like an easy life.

John

Attachments

• 3D5671BD-6ADA-41A7-8E4B-CE5281176065.png
    3D5671BD-6ADA-41A7-8E4B-CE5281176065.png
    400 KB · Views: 1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts