Looking for a family park with lots to do?

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
I’m looking for a park with lots to do for the family, I’m not too bothered about going sight seeing or to local attractions.
I have 2 kids 7 months and 2 years old. We have been looking at going to a place called Sandy Balls in the New Forest, and think this would be perfect but it is a bit pricy and were wondering if there are more places like this that we could go to. We don't mind travelling but I think Devon and Cornwell might be a little too far for the kids in the car all the way from Anglesey.
We have just got home from our first ever caravan outing, we spent the weekend at Haven, Pwlleli, North Wales. It was great enjoyed everything about it but I don't want to go back to the same place again.
Any links or advice would be much appreciated, Thanks in advance.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
hi, we go to hillhead caravan club site every year and have done for the last 4 years. it is expensive but is not rowdy or tacky like some holiday camps. i dont know how far this is from you. its in brixham south devon. it has a outdoor pool, club house, small arcade, play fort, some sea view pitches.

hope this helps

jo-anne

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
my profile picture is the outdoor pool. the other end of it has a paddling which is also lovely. we love this area brixham, dartmouth is so beautiful, torquay and paignton. google pictures of dartmouth and brixham.

good luck

jo

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
ive just checked how much it would cost a night its £53 for us omg. hillhead is £43 a night for us. yea theres things for kids to do at sandy balls but is it all free and is there a free pool?.

jo

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
thanks Jo-Anne we booked to go there in august for our main hol looked good before but your pic looks fantastic got 10 days there just got to prey for the weather now.

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
Thanks for your replys, Devon is about 7 hours drive for us i think, i think it's too far to go for the kids in the car.
Not too sure if everything is free at Sandy Balls as i didn't look too much into it, but i'm worried that i have left it too late too book and will end up paying top price for a weeks holiday (got to look after the pennies!).

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Lee
Most large commercial sites offer some sort of children's entertainment but during school holidays they can be expensive.
Have a look at Holiday Resort Unity in Brean, Somerset, you need to look in the Touring & Camping section of the website.

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
Why are you looking for a site with lots to do?. A 7month old and a 2 year old are usually just happy playing with a few toys. Look for a small site and wait until they are older and 'demanding' lots to do before you start paying for expensive sites.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
we love this site and the area. brixham is a lovely small quaint harbour town with nice lovely shops. it has a rocky beach there called breakwater beach with a long concrete promonarde you can walk down.
dartmouth is my favorite place to go from the site you can go either by car and drive over with the help of the ferry, you can drive to car park and walk onto ferry or you can bus from the site to dartmouth and then ferry over. its so beautiful we love it there, small harbour, lots of quaint shops, boat rides, google pictures of dartmouth. torquay is also nice with harbour, nice beach not at all tacky. paignton is like a normal town but with added tackyness lol. nice beach, ususally a fair, arcades, pier.
blackpool sands in nice is a shailey stoney beach you can park on grass behind the beach and the sea is as clear as tap water and very still. it has a cafe, shop , loos and an outdoor shower. its about £6 for the day to park there. you have to get there via the ferry at dartmouth.
the site is lovely but some pitches are very hard to get onto dont be afraid to ask to be put on via the tractor. what day do you come down. people are usually queing up on a saturday to get on. they do usually let people on from about 9 because if they didnt come 12 they would be queing out of the site down the road and around the roundabout. the club house isnt massive but its lovely and you can sit outsite under the heaters aswell. food is a bit pricy but its really nice especially the pizzas. the arcade isnt massive but again good and the kids love it. theres a huge field do play rounders, badminton etc with sea views. the play fort is a bit tatty now but still the kids like it. the site is quite hilly in some parts but some have beautiful sea views.
before i drone on even more theres a trip called the roundrobin its about £50 and its a steam train, open top bus, cruise around dartmouth. i always say im going to do it but i never do lol. maybe this year i will lol.

hope this helps

jo-anne
this is our 4th year going i think and we always go for 3 weeks. we say this will be our last year but you never know lol.

Aug 1, 2007
Visit site
smiley-cool.gif

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies and advice.
We have just spent the weekend at Haven and it was great but a bit tacky, I have to say the night entertainment was brilliant for my 2 year old daughter and she was never off the dance floor! For this reason I would like a family site with some kind of kids entertainment, she's an active child so we would like lots for her to see and do.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
hillhead have magic shows and punch and judy etc. kids is 6-7 i think then its bingo and after maybe an artist. theres a small dance floor. have a look at the hillhead reviews on www.ukcampsite.co.uk
it may look a bit full on line but ring the site direct. im sure you will love it if you choose to go. if its to far stop just off the m5 for a night.

jo

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
You could try one of the Hoburne sites - mainly located on the south coast. Plenty to do for the kids and night-time entertainment to - you will grow to love Sammy the Seahorse !!

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Jo Anne you should ask for some commision from Sandy Balls the way you keep plugging the place.

You could try the CC club site in the New Forest, .We are booked there for this August but my kids are 4 and 10 and have never really enjoyed the kids discos at the larger commercials and its it is not £53 per night. I think we are paying around £33.0 per night.
There are plenty of other sites in the area you could try.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
I know you said devon maybe a bit to far for the kids but we went to a site just outside torquay a couple of years a go now to a site called woodlands its brill for kids if you stay on site you get free entry into there own park which has rides for young and old a farm to visit and there is also falconry displays its really good look it up on the net.
Then you have paignton zoo and torquay and all the other attractions near by.
I dont know how long your trip is but as were from the north east we stayed at a caravan site roughly half way for 2 nights there and back.
Look it up it really is good for kids of all ages

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts