Looking for a static site for older caravan in Devon/Cornwall

Dec 6, 2020
Visit site
I am hoping to buy an older van that I can refurb but can not find a park that will take older vans? all the ones I seem to find are the big names, and sell their own on site ones. can anyone offer suggestions?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi if you read a recent thread on lack of touring pitches you will see some of the issues owners of older statics face. Your best bet could be a farmer who has permission to site a number of statics.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
You might have a look at sites that have van storage as well as those who have 'permanently sited' tourers. Some will tow your van onto a pitch in time for your arrival on site and then tow it off again when you leave - usually for a small fee. It might take a few phone calls to find somewhere suitable, but also one that has some storage vacant. If you call a site in your area of choice they may be able to recommend others in the district for you too if they can't meet your needs personally. I think both clubs have some limited facility for either on some sites, but whether club or commercial they may hold a waiting list. I know some static sites (see another current thread re lost pitches) don't allow static vans to remain after set timescales, often between 10 and 15 years,, but had not heard that applied to touring vans.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Wendy
are you thinking of buying an older static caravan or an older touring caravan to be permanently sited at one site. My reply related to a static ( ie a mobile as sometimes called). The advice given will be different depending on what you plan to do. In your post you mention sites “selling their own on site ones” which led me to think that you were looking for a static/ mobile not a touring van set up on a single site.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It is possible that they meant a seasonal site instead of static? Unfortunately the phrase "older caravan" does seem to indicate an older static. The majority of sites will not accept caravans 10 or more years old so no point in buying an 8 year and then finding to have to leave the site 2 years later anyway at a huge loss.

Dec 6, 2020
Visit site
yes I am looking for a seasonal site for a static caravan there are so many used ones for sale all in good condition and affordable however finding a place for placing them is proving very difficult . thanks for the reply

Reactions: otherclive
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
yes I am looking for a seasonal site for a static caravan there are so many used ones for sale all in good condition and affordable however finding a place for placing them is proving very difficult . thanks for the reply
Unfortunately, most caravan sites are privately owned, and as there are no regulations about terms and conditions, each site can set their own criteria for what caravans they will allow on site. Age is often one criteria.

I have heard one explanation of their insistence about age, and its about keeping up appearances. Static caravans don't age particularly well, and sites that have older ones tend to look untidy, and thus less attractive. This puts some people off.

There may be other reasons, and you have already mentioned one. Many sites insist that buyers must buy caravans through the site. This ups the sites turn over an income.

It would very unusual for a static caravan to be sited just for a season. They are usually sited permanently , though you may only use them seasonally. You have to bear in mind statics are not designed to be moved regularly, so I do wonder if you have correctly identified the type of caravan and the type of site you are looking for?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It won't be a seasonal pitch for a static, it will be a permanent pitch. If you do buy a static have you thought of the cost to move it to the site as that will cost thousands. Then when you get it to the site there is the cost of connecting it to electric, gas, water and sewage so another couple of thousand. After that you have the annual service a nd rental cost so before you even use it you are several thousand out of pocket over and above the cost of buying the unit. Think carefuĺy!

Dec 6, 2020
Visit site
I hope to find a site to place a static on permanently. If I get 4 years i will be happy but have to find a park or place that will take an older static. the seller is winkleigh and will move the caravan to a site within 100 miles (think I have that right??) i want to be able to stay in the caravan for 9-10 months each year

Dec 6, 2020
Visit site
It won't be a seasonal pitch for a static, it will be a permanent pitch. If you do buy a static have you thought of the cost to move it to the site as that will cost thousands. Then when you get it to the site there is the cost of connecting it to electric, gas, water and sewage so another couple of thousand. After that you have the annual service a nd rental cost so before you even use it you are several thousand out of pocket over and above the cost of buying the unit. Think carefuĺy!
it seems more practical if you buy a second hand static already sited in Devon /Cornwall then you can do it up .
Yes for sure it does sound more practical only problem is cost, I can not afford any that I have found so far

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes for sure it does sound more practical only problem is cost, I can not afford any that I have found so far
Hi Well some sites like you buy from them and it might come with seasonal it all comes down what your budget is ? Good luck with your search .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I hope to find a site to place a static on permanently. If I get 4 years i will be happy but have to find a park or place that will take an older static. the seller is winkleigh and will move the caravan to a site within 100 miles (think I have that right??) i want to be able to stay in the caravan for 9-10 months each year
My father when he retired moved to Lynton but found the winters depressing and trips to civilisation too far. So he moved back to savour big city life, but he bought a pre owned static on a site that had statics and tourers. It was just above Lynmouth and had lovely views and across to Wales plus a pub virtually on site. He was able to use it all year except for January and February. His normal routine was move down in April and move back in November. When he gave it up he sold it back to the site but he must have had 10 years or so enjoyment from it.

Good luck in your search

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
You note my earlier response had assumed that this was a touring van that you wanted to site, as this mag and forum is mostly serving touring caravanners! However I think you will find most site owners require you to buy from them, new or used, and then sell back to them when you are moving on. They probably have a preferred supplier and then can control a uniform appearance on the site and also that vans are neat and tidy in appearance, Most will allow owner and family use only and not sub-letting. Also be careful of annual costs that will be several thousands and usually you will be required to have a habitation and appliance service and safety certificate every year, and pay for decommission and recommission for when the site is closed over the winter months. Usually licencing will demand the couple of months closure to prevent the site from becoming residential.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts