Looking for our next car

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
For a while now I have been considering what our next main car should be. Ideally I would like the following: petrol, manual, non-turbo, good carrying capacity and good NCAP figures, no Canbus, no DMF//DPF. I don't think such a thing exists, so accepting a turbo may be neccesary. But even then the choice becomes very limited as when you browse the web you realise the proliferation of diesels for all marques. Choices so far are 3 Series (2 or 3litre), Subaru Forester or XV, but top with my 'advisers' is the Focus ST estate, but as I explained the twin central exhausts make fitting a towbar out of the question!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Clive, You won't find what your looking for from any of the current new cars. They will all have can bus or other similar technicalities which you seem to be averse too. So second hand has got to be your choice, and sadly you will have to look for something about 10 year s old, as all more recent offerings will the technopiles.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Clive you need a Shogun mate, then like us, the wife can take it on short journeys to/from work which then sets off the DPF warning light, :angry:
Then I get to drive it then for twenty minutes to burn off all the excess and then the light goes out. :huh:
Looked into having it removed which can be done BUT at a cost!
Then there is the new MOT regs that are to coming in that says if fitted it must be there.
Now why did I by a Diesel?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Agreed, I have a SWB Pajero which has been incredible reliable and the nearest it comes to electronics are PCBs. But that is now a hobby car. The Nissan Note has a 1.5dci no DPF, but lousy towing capacity. And only this week the XC70 went into lethargic power mode when coming back from the Midlands. 120 miles with absolutely zip-all. Its now been fixed and the cause was a failed temperature sensor on the DPF. I am booked for test drives this weekend in a Subaru XV petrol and Forester XT auto.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
I wouldn't thick its possible,unless you buy something 20 years old or there abouts.Even Focus ST are Turbocharged,very nice though.I,d certainly enjoy one for a sunday afternoon.Regarding DPF problems it makes me wounder whether certain makes are more prone than others.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The XV was a nice car to drive on motorway and a variety of A and country roads, but at the end of the drive we decided that dome form of pantechnikon was still required. The XT on the same route was really impressive and what an engine! But fuel consumption high insurance and a strong likelihood of incurring points mitigated against this one. Even though the dealer took another £1000 off there and then. So yesterday we bought an XE Forester with the two litre petrol engine and auto box. It is a pre-reg only three weeks old. Well at least I've got rid of the DPF, DMF, turbo and CRDI so most objectives have been attained. Oh and my wife likes it as its close to her beloved Sorento which she never fails to remind me of.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts