Looking to buy used motorhome

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Late last year we went through a phase of looking at campervans (Americans have Motorhomes) before deciding to stick with our Caravan. We liked the AutoTrails and the Swifts and Bessacar. Wouldn’t have a Bailey as I don’t rate Alutec as a construction method.
The one we came very close to buying was a Benimar Tessoro 486. Ford chassis with 170 bhp motor. Our friend has one and apart from dire after sales from Marquis is delighted with it. Chausson do a similar product. We saw some beautiful large ones at the NEC but unless my numbers came up I couldn’t see me spending over £100k on a campervan!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Late last year we went through a phase of looking at campervans (Americans have Motorhomes) before deciding to stick with our Caravan. We liked the AutoTrails and the Swifts and Bessacar. Wouldn’t have a Bailey as I don’t rate Alutec as a construction method.
The one we came very close to buying was a Benimar Tessoro 486. Ford chassis with 170 bhp motor. Our friend has one and apart from dire after sales from Marquis is delighted with it. Chausson do a similar product. We saw some beautiful large ones at the NEC but unless my numbers came up I couldn’t see me spending over £100k on a campervan!

I am sure that the continued evolution of our language has given interchangeability to the terms campervan, motor caravan, motor caravan, motor home with RV being predominantly applicable to the larger US style leisure vehicles.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Tuningdrew
Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Does make me smile when a Citröen Berlingo with a pop top is referred to as a Motorhome. For many years I spent a lot of time touring Europe competing in Historic Sports car racing. Weapon of choice was a Winnebago Itasca, 33 feet long, tag axle, slide outs full size range cooker, washer drier, fully air conditioned and 4 to the gallon with a 24 foot trailer on the back carrying a Lola T70, fuel for the trip, all the tools and a full set of tyres.
That’s a Motorhome!

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts