Looking to Change

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi All
New to this forum, but would to ask a question of experienced caravaners
Looking to change from a Motor Home to a Caravan. Would like some ideas,. Looking for 2 berth with 2 single beds. Don't want a bed that go across the van.. What are the advantages/disadvantages of end wash room/end kitchen? We will have to change our car (current one not suitable) so weight is not a problem. The car will be changed before purchase, which is why need to source a model suitable first.
Looking in the south coast area, but not many dealers around
Hope some of you can sugest models to look for, and any comments on what not buy??

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi chirene,
Welcome to the forum, buying a caravan is a bit like looking for a house different types sizes and designed, the more you look at the better the idea of what will suit best, bearing in mind you may have to compromise a little, new or used is acedmic at this point as it depends on finances at the time of purchase.
internal specification also varies so that would have a bearing on how you wished to use the van and the type of sites you prefer.
changing form a motorhome to a caravan is a big step something we did in 2005 so you will need to do a bit of research, where you are going to put it will you need a second car ! and how much space will you need over how much space would you like,
end bathrooms are a bonus as these tend to have better facilities like proper showers wardrobes and changing space, 2 berth vans tend to have long front bunks while 4berths have short ones (not allways the case ) but then 4 berths have a dinette tables and room for extra people (like grand kids on a weekend) you may also consider an awning that doubles the van space and give outdoor living area (something I am sure you are well used to being a motorhomer) and increases the choice of vans available,
the more you look at the better idea you get as to what suits best start with something around 460 2 or 4 berth with end washroom and then widen the search, and remember the old saying you may have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find a prince.
good luck and let us know how you get on the folks on here are a good bunch allways keen to help newbies so if there are any questions just ask!!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I assume that you are looking at a caravan with a lounge up front and two singles further back. If this is correct I think they are all more or less the same layout with the beds in the middle and an end toilet. If you want a simple two berth then you will need one with a long lounge so that you have the length needed to sleep along the length.
The advantage of an end toilet is space. If you use the caravan facilities you should get a proper shower compartment and plenty of room to get washed and dressed whereas a side toilet tends to be narrow and cramped and in many the toilet area doubles up as the shower compartment.
Not had an end kitchen model but the advantage seems to be that the cook is not in the middle and in the way when cooking but it does tend to put extra weight at the back end which may not be ideal and can be a bit cramped as it is squeezed in alongside the toulet in most models.
You need to look at few models to see what suits you best as these things are realy a matter of personal choice.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Chirene, welcome to the Practical Caravan forum
smiley-laughing.gif

You didn't mention whether you are looking for a new or a used model but if you want to have a good look at as many different layouts and models as possible all in one place the NEC Spring Camping and Caravanning Exhibition is on from 19th-24th February.
Most caravan manufacturers are represented and caravan dealers will be on hand to offer good deals to buyers at the show.
The Practical Caravan team will also be there and will be happy to offer you advice and ideas about the various choices which are available.
If you still have the motorhome, camping is available which would allow you to take your time, have a good look around and hopefully bag a great bargain.
If you do decide to visit the NEC it's worth remembering that the dealers are present from all over the country and if you buy from a dealership which is a long way from home you may have to travel that distance for servicing or warranty work.

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Ray
Yes looking for a lounge that makes 2 single beds, as don't want it too long. Can you sugest any makes that I can view on line? There are not many dealers in our part of the country. Can't make the NEC Don't mind New ao maybe 1/2 years old

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Parksy
Cant't make the NEC.(Half Term. so visiting Grand kids.) Do still have Motor Home, and we don't mind new or maybe 1 to 2 years old Hope to Part Ex the MH if possible
Was hoping some one would sugest some makers that could view on-line. We are really looking to exchange the car first, so want some idea of what van, so can get the right size car first
Possibly will not buy untill later in the season, as holiday is arranged with MH.
as we usually go away for 2/3 months at a time, will also buy an awing for the outside space.
We intend to use it like the MHome, but have the advantage of transport to go exploring , where th MH is to big to go.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Click Here for a video which features fixed single bed / end washroom models from Elddis, Bailey and Adria. The new Adria model is 8 feet wide and may prove awkward to tow on narrow roads in the UK so Here are some alternative models to look at.
Michael Jordan is a large well respected dealership in Southern England or Chichester Caravans is an award winning nationwide caravan dealership with branches in the South. For a recent used tourer have a look at The Caravan Company and if you give us a general idea of your area I'm sure that forum members will be able to suggest more dealerships for you to try.
It might be worth ringing round one or two to see if they have anything that would interest you in stock for you to take a close look at.
EDIT:
I forgot to add that many caravans with fixed single beds and end washrooms which are used as luxurious 2 berthers are classed as 4 berth, otherwise there are 2 berth models where the bed has to be made up in the lounge. The 2 berth caravans also have end washrooms but slightly less overall space.

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Thank you once again Chicester Caravans and the branch at Winchester, are about the closest to us, so will have a look there.
They have the lay-out that will probably suit us i The Swift Chalenger 530, and the Bailey Unicorn . Will look to see if the beds (Front) are long enough Like the little dinnette area. Just like we have in the MH Also like to have an electric plate on cooker. Not bothered about a Microwave, don't feel that a must have.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
chirene said:
Thank you once again Chicester Caravans and the branch at Winchester, are about the closest to us, so will have a look there.
They have the lay-out that will probably suit us i The Swift Chalenger 530, and the Bailey Unicorn . Will look to see if the beds (Front) are long enough Like the little dinnette area. Just like we have in the MH Also like to have an electric plate on cooker. Not bothered about a Microwave, don't feel that a must have.

~Are there any dealers still at waterlooville, fareham and Pompey? Not too far on if popping to colden common anyway

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Chirene
I know it is not exactly South Coast,but we have bought from Michael Jordan Caravans near Guildford, they are Bailey and Swift dealers and also sell motorhomes,not too far up the A3.They also offer their own dealer special made by Swift,and they have a fairly user friendly website,good luck with whatever you decide and I hope you enjoy your new van.

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi Martin
The one at Waterlooville, is now a housing estate! Nothing in Fareham and the Portsmouth one (Southdowns) is only Motor homes
Golden Cross is Marquis, still mainly MotorHomes, but some Caravans. We will look there, when we have time, as they would take our Mh in Part EX

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
We will go to Micheal Jordan, at some time, but as I said before , we really want to get an idea of what CAR we need to get first, for the type of van we want. Will probably go to Highbridge some time, as do M Homes as well as Caravans.
Going to Chichester on Friday, to take a look. I also found that Bailey have a place, not to far in the other direction, in Dorset
Again thanks for all replies, they have given me more sites to look at

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
having looked at Chichester Caravans, think we like the layout of the Lunar Stellar or the Quaser, both fairly light weight. Now to decide on the tow car!

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
We had our first Coachman from Colden Common in 2007 and had no problems with the deal or service. I would be quite happy to use them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts