Low Ratio Gear on 4 X 4

Sep 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi all

Does anyone use the Low Gear ratio when towing with a 4 X 4??

I tow a pageant Bordeaux with a Disco 2 TD5 Auto and never felt the urge until this weekend. On the way to a new CC club (The Firs) in Belper Debyshire and upon leaving Stoke on Trent I came across Froghall Bank.

Slowing at the bottom I engaged Low gear and up she went with no trouble but revs high as expected. When I reached the top I re engaged high gear and went on my way - only to wonder if I really needed to do it as i've no doubt the old girl would have performed as well if i'd left her in high?

Does any one else bother or do we generally leave them in 'D'. point em in the right direction and press the accellorator.

RSVP

Carlos

PS - The firs is very nice and very new although some of the pitches are tiny and access to the dog walk is poor!

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I have never felt the need to use the four wheel drive. I do have a high & low slector which stays in the neutral position.In the winter I did select low when driving through deep snow but never felt the need whilst towing.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Low ratio is for off-road use.

If first gear isn't low enough when caravan towing on any UK public road then something major is wrong.

Feb 7, 2008
Visit site
Carl,

I quite often use 4 wheel drive low when reversing or manoeuvering my van, particulary on slopes, wet grass and loose gravel.

It gives higher torque at low speeds which is exactly what you want when towing in difficult conditions and allows for finer control. Thats whats its there for!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with John. If you need low ratio on the road, then a) you shouldn't be there with a caravan, or b), there's something wrong. I do, however, always use it for maneouvering.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I bought a 4x4 because my previous 2litre diesel estate had a high first gear, and was rubbish when I eventually used it for towing.

Pre caravaning, when loaded with camping gear 2 adults and two children it ground to a halt when I was directed up an internal ramp on a ferry.

They had to raise the haudraulic ramp with us on it, to a less severe gradient, for us to proceed amid much clutch smoke.

Never thought I would use the low box on my 4x4 though!

Then I pulled into a lay-by halfway up a very steep hill in the Cairngorms to admire the view, caravan in tow.

It was not till after I got out of the car that I realised how steep the exit to the lay-by was!

The car could not leave the lay-by in 1st high box.

I had to use 2nd low... so you never know!!!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Carl,

I always use the low ratio box for reversing or pulling off a muddy pitch.

I seem to remember Low ratio box is not recommended for use on tarmac for any great distance due to "transmission wind up". Whether this is true I don't know . At the very worst I expect a minimal amount of extra wear will happen to the tyres. If I was stuck somewhere with a real steep climb then s*d it I'd use the low ratio.

Cheers

Alan

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
I agree, it shouldn't be necessary to use low ratio on a public road, except to get you out of difficulty on a very slippery surface. However, I have found it useful on some camp sites where the approach to a pitch can be very steep and requiring a slow speed. In these circumstances it avoids slipping the clutch (and resultant damage).

However, low ratio also means a locked differential on many vehicles so when cornering all wheels will continue to turn at the same speeds, so one or more of them needs to slip. Hard surfaces obviously prevent the slippage, which can result in serious transmission damage. This is not a problem with more sophisticated permanent 4 wheel drive systems, but does apply to basic manual setups, eg. Sorento XE.

Sep 25, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the replies chaps. It seems generally then on road, High box should suffice but Low box in extreme conditions and on sludgy rally fields.

Cheers

Carlos

May 18, 2007
Visit site
Hi Carl,

I always use the low ratio box for reversing or pulling off a muddy pitch.

I seem to remember Low ratio box is not recommended for use on tarmac for any great distance due to "transmission wind up". Whether this is true I don't know . At the very worst I expect a minimal amount of extra wear will happen to the tyres. If I was stuck somewhere with a real steep climb then s*d it I'd use the low ratio.

Cheers

Alan
Alan You are right about 'transmission wind up'. Unless your transmission is designed to be used on tarmac/hard surfaces then you stand a good chance of 'wind up'. It is normally noticeable after a short while when the steering will start acting in strange ways and your gear box may not like to have a change of gear. The easiest to unwind a transmission is to drive over soft ground. If not possible then jack up your vehicle and watch the wheels unwind. To ignore 'wind up' is the route to expensive repair bills

May 18, 2007
Visit site
Alan You are right about 'transmission wind up'. Unless your transmission is designed to be used on tarmac/hard surfaces then you stand a good chance of 'wind up'. It is normally noticeable after a short while when the steering will start acting in strange ways and your gear box may not like to have a change of gear. The easiest to unwind a transmission is to drive over soft ground. If not possible then jack up your vehicle and watch the wheels unwind. To ignore 'wind up' is the route to expensive repair bills
Further to my last this applies to the use of four wheel drive in either high or low ratio. Using two wheel drive does create 'wind up'

May 18, 2007
Visit site
Further to my last this applies to the use of four wheel drive in either high or low ratio. Using two wheel drive does create 'wind up'
I'll get it right in a minute! use of two wheel drive does NOT create 'windup'.Use of four wheel drive may cause 'wind up'.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts