Lowdhams

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Russell,

The Hymer Nova SL is shown on their current web site and says it is converted by Lowdham's to UK spec. It is the only model shown.

However i have a feeling they are giving up on Hymer.

Only way to be sure is give them a phonecall.

Hamer

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
We hope so as they are excellent vans.

However the plunge in the value of the UK pound coupled with an increase in the ex-works cost make new ones extremely expensive by any standard.

The Nova SL, is a range of several models; they have dropped importing the top range Nova S.

Lowdhams don't convert them for the UK, Hymer actually build them to UK spec, previously in two batches each year.

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
I had an Hymer Nova from lowdam in 2002. It was an excellant van that we actually lived in for a total of 2 years and towed 40k miles. However since Lowdam started mucking about with the German design we have not replaced the van with an Hymer and changed to Fendt instead.

Dave

MJC

May 24, 2006
Visit site
Me going on about Hymers again. But I agree with another David - they were more individual and a bit different when they were totally German influenced. All the modifications to get them "British" (because the Brits wanted it) have removed that different feel. Whenever a new caravan is launched, people say they want something different - but then say "it's not as good as the last one". there is nothing different now. They are all white boxes, dinette, front locker etc etc. Stealth tried it- and after going to Dumpster House and seeing the badly made prototype and the road under the washbasin they are non starters- but it is a shame. Hymers were different and the Brits asked them to changed - but didn't buy enough to keep it going in the UK. Now there's nothing new. Still at least my doors on the WRONG side.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
We agree with the sentiments being expressed here about Lowdhams "mucking about with the German design" in order to pamper for an assumed UK requirement.

The introduction of the three front [or lounge] windows is our pet hate. Gone is the lovely wide panoramic view, and it must represent a significant additional cost for an eye full of drapes.

Personally we have no great issue with a Continental door; the ramifications of this must have a huge impact on the cost of UK supplied vans.

Come on Lowdhams get back to the fundamentals of superb quality vans built to the proven Continental layouts and designs; just clip in UK electrical sockets and cut out the costly "mucking about".

Apr 14, 2008
Visit site
I feel exactly the same, our 2006 model is the same as the German ones except for an oven, 2 UK sockets and a leisure battery system. I am perfectly happy to have something different, and would never buy UK as they are too "fussy" inside for my tastes. I like the single window arrangement, and find no problem with the right hand door even when used in the UK. Of course stopping in a continental layby it is ideal.

Pete

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I understand from chum Hymer owner recently arrived here in Spain that Lowdhams have stopped importing Hymer short term due to GBP v Euro exchange rate. How short short-term turns out to be remains to be seen. Burstner stopped importing caraans into UK months ago for same reason but still bring in MVs.

Great shame really as I thought part of the EU deal was that we had access to a much wider range of products and would gain from more competition.

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Lowdhams in Huddersfield have now been handling the accident repair OK'd by the insurance company for 9 months now and still no parts and the excusses are now becoming a joke. It will be interesting to see the damp meter reading.

TRENDING THREADS