Lubricants For Door locks

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
My door lock is really difficult to turn - seems to have seized up after so long not being regularly used.
Anyone have any ideas about the best lubricant to use to try to free it?
Ideally without dismantling so the spray type with a "straw" to direct through the key hole seems my best bet!

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
NO!! If you put silicone lubricant into the tumbler of a lock it will eventually thicken and possibly jam if not used for some time.
Lock tumblers should be lubricated with graphite powder, or 3-in-1 do an aerosol lock lubricant if you can find any.
The other option is GT85 which is an aerosol with a propellant that evaporates and leaves a trace of Teflon behind. It is also a very good 'un-gunger' i.e. it will get paint of your hands without damage. It is NOT the same thing as WD40 which should never be used in a lock.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Abus make a dry lock lubricant. As do WD40 too. The problem people have is associating WD40 with just a single product; the well known water dispersant and light lubricant. But WD 40 make a much wider range of products and their PTFE spray is suitable for locks.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Thanks guys for your suggestions. As always there's a whole range of opinion and not a definite consensus.

I have contacted my dealer who is in lockdown but answering emails and messages from a home address. That's service and I have nothing but praise for them.

Just received this from the wonderful lady who is usually in the office (I'm removing names of course)

G, morning John,
We would recommend silicone spray. (Name removed) always says not to use WD40 as it make the locks fall apart. I mean what's the worst that could happen....it's kaput now!
We will replace it as soon as we can.
Try a wee squirt of WD.....dare you😁

So much bad press about dealers but I'm totally satisfied with mine and would recommend to anyone.

Just about to squirt in some silicone usually reserved for awning rails and toilet seals. If that makes no difference then it's WD40!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The problem with standard WD 40 is that it can affect certain types of plastic, but not all. So unless you know exactly the plastic type that's why folks get cautious about it. But to be honest a small squirt isn't going to dissolve the lock internals in one go.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I use the WD40 with PTFE and I’ve found it excellent for locks including the lock on my Alko wheel lock, reading the uses on the can it’s ok for locks as well as ok on rubber, plastic, metal and just about anything, I got this after a recommendation from OC and I’ve also cleaned the rubber seal on my door and then wiped it with a cloth that had been sprayed with the WD PTFE I’m pretty certain it’s going to be perfectly ok but I thought “ belts and braces “ just to err on the safe side, I’m sure it’s good for locks and it does have the straw to poke in the lock.

BP

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Abus make a dry lock lubricant. As do WD40 too. The problem people have is associating WD40 with just a single product; the well known water dispersant and light lubricant. But WD 40 make a much wider range of products and their PTFE spray is suitable for locks.

After looking at the product range otherclive mention I brought a WD40 with PTFE spray I have use it on all locks so far very happy .

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Live and learn. Always used 3 in 1 standard issue on all my locks for years. I didn’t know there is now a ptfe version. Seems ptfe has become a “must have “ buzz word additive.
WD40 alone , I believe only has an active life in service of 40 days before a further application is necessary. I have only used it as an agent to free seized parts. Plus Gas is actually better.
Ptfe is basically Teflon. Does that help , or improve ,over my old faithful 3 in 1??

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
I was told the locks are best lubricated with graphite powder. I bought a tin of graphite some 40 years ago and still use it on things that need dry lubrication. I just dip a dry brush into it and coat the bits that need it. At the rate i'm using it I think I will need to live for another 200 years!

Reactions: Guzzilazz
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I tend to use copper slip grease, I have 10 mil syringes in my tool boxes that I fill with copper slip grease and just inject it into the locks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts