Lunar ultima brakes

Nov 6, 2020
Visit site
Hi guys I was looking for some help. I've got a 2012 lunar ultima 2 birth i think its a 420. I was looking at putting on some new brake shoes on but I can't find the torque setting for the axle nut. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You must use a brand new nut on each axle, you cannot use the one you took off.
The torque figure is 290Nm.

Nov 6, 2020
Visit site
Is there a way of knowing which axle i have on the van. I've a little look online and I'm assuming its an al-ko one but how can I tell which one. I'm used to working on cars so I know how to find specs out and its easy to find out which parts fit using make and model reg etc but the first time I've done anything with the caravan how can I find out what axle I've got to buy the new shoes for. I'm just assuming that doing brake shoes on a caravan is the same as car drums or are there any differences.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Is there a way of knowing which axle i have on the van. I've a little look online and I'm assuming its an al-ko one but how can I tell which one. I'm used to working on cars so I know how to find specs out and its easy to find out which parts fit using make and model reg etc but the first time I've done anything with the caravan how can I find out what axle I've got to buy the new shoes for. I'm just assuming that doing brake shoes on a caravan is the same as car drums or are there any differences.
Underneath on the axle you will see a bar coded label with a serial number, speed and load rating.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you have an Al-KO axle with standard hubs the dust cover for the hub nut will have ALKO stamped on it, the same is true of the grease cap of older units.

The brake shoes are determined by the diameter of the drum and the width of the brake shoe.

So, if the drum diameter is 200mm and the shoe width is 50mm, the set needed is 2050.
The other sizes Al-Ko do are 1637, 2051 and 2361.

BPW and Knott use different identification markers, with some shoe sets common to both BPW and Knott.

Look here for the best place to get them from: https://www.westerntowing.co.uk/acatalog/All-Parts-for-Brakes.html

When working on the brakes make a note of how the springs are fitted before removing the shoes.
Release the tension pins and keep safe with their spring clips (although new ones should be included in the shoe set).
Remove the shoes then give the whole backplate and everything still on it a soaking with brake cleaner to remove all the dust and rubbish, also thoroughly clean the brake drums and check for scoring.

Reset the adjuster at the bottom of the backplate before refitting the shoes, ensuring the unit is free turning and lightly greased with copper grease.
Lightly grease the brake expander at the top of the backplate.

When refitting the shoes it is easier (but still a bit fiddly) to fit the springs first to the shoes then get the shoes into position, making sure you have them in the right place so that the expander operates correctly and the adjuster end sits in its slot of the adjuster..

Refit the drums and adjust the shoes via the star wheel which is got to through a small hole in the backplate.

There is an arrow showing which way to turn the star wheel to tighten the shoe to the drum. (so its a lay on your back on the floor with a small flat bladed screwdriver)

Tighten the shoe so that the drum is locked, then back off the adjuster by 13 "clicks"

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 6, 2020
Visit site
If you have an Al-KO axle with standard hubs the dust cover for the hub nut will have ALKO stamped on it, the same is true of the grease cap of older units.

The brake shoes are determined by the diameter of the drum and the width of the brake shoe.

So, if the drum diameter is 200mm and the shoe width is 50mm, the set needed is 2050.
The other sizes Al-Ko do are 1637, 2051 and 2361.

BPW and Knott use different identification markers, with some shoe sets common to both BPW and Knott.

Look here for the best place to get them from: https://www.westerntowing.co.uk/acatalog/All-Parts-for-Brakes.html

When working on the brakes make a note of how the springs are fitted before removing the shoes.
Release the tension pins and keep safe with their spring clips (although new ones should be included in the shoe set).
Remove the shoes then give the whole backplate and everything still on it a soaking with brake cleaner to remove all the dust and rubbish, also thoroughly clean the brake drums and check for scoring.

Reset the adjuster at the bottom of the backplate before refitting the shoes, ensuring the unit is free turning and lightly greased with copper grease.
Lightly grease the brake expander at the top of the backplate.

When refitting the shoes it is easier (but still a bit fiddly) to fit the springs first to the shoes then get the shoes into position, making sure you have them in the right place so that the expander operates correctly and the adjuster end sits in its slot of the adjuster..

Refit the drums and adjust the shoes via the star wheel which is got to through a small hole in the backplate.

There is an arrow showing which way to turn the star wheel to tighten the shoe to the drum. (so its a lay on your back on the floor with a small flat bladed screwdriver)

Tighten the shoe so that the drum is locked, then back off the adjuster by 13 "clicks"
Fantastic thank so much you been a massive help.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Is there a reason why you need to fit new brake shoes? On a 2012 caravan I would think that they would not be very worn unless the caravan has seen a lot of very heavy use. Just my opinion as I am not a mechanic or caravan fitter.

Nov 6, 2020
Visit site
Is there a reason why you need to fit new brake shoes? On a 2012 caravan I would think that they would not be very worn unless the caravan has seen a lot of very heavy use. Just my opinion as I am not a mechanic or caravan fitter.
Just want to do them for piece of mind while we in lock down and can't use it want to get all the little jobs done ready for when we can use it again

Reactions: Buckman

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts