M&S Tyres

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
What’s this thing about The Highlands. The last time I visited the roads had tarmac, a bit narrow in places but lots of liitle lay-byes marked with posts, caravan sites had tarmac or gravel roads and grass or hard pitches. So what’s so different about the Highlands as far as tyres are concerned, compared to other areas of UK or Europe. Scottish mystique?πŸ˜‚
Note myπŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰. Actually parts of the Highlands Sites are gravel and grass, Alnaharra, Sands Gairloch etc . Decent treaded tyres do make a difference πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ€ͺπŸ€ͺ

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Note myπŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰. Actually parts of the Highlands Sites are gravel and grass, Alnaharra, Sands Gairloch etc . Decent treaded tyres do make a difference πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ€ͺπŸ€ͺ
I did actually say my post was TIC, but driving over grass to a pitch isn’t unique to the Highlands.

Reactions: Dustydog

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Since most of my driving is on Highland roads I can't say that the major routes are any different from other parts of the country. Road surfaces do vary though without any logical reason as far as I can tell.

Off the main roads the condition of the surface varies considerably and maintenance of these leaves much to be desired due to budgetary restrictions. The underlying surface on these roads is often not great as they are constructed on top of old cart tracks and despite being 'tarmaced' the surfaces shift and deteriorate quickly.

Often a repair on these roads is just a cold tar approach, where cold tar (or lukewarm) is sprayed on the surface and then gravel is sprinkled over. It's then left for cars to bed this in. In doesn't last long. The following winter will see the surfaces erroded once again.

Pot holes are numerous and I'm convinced I've heard dwarf voices coming out singing the 'Hi Ho...' song :)

Most of the money gets spent in cities and on the main interconnecting routes.

Personally and for just On-road driving I've never bothered about 'special' tires and have driven in extremes of weather conditions. Again, IMO, its just a case of adapting your driving style to the conditions.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts