M6 Toll Road

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As we have found out that major road works are taking place on the M6 (junct.8) we reckon we might be better to go on the toll road.I know the mileage will be longer,but don't want to get caught in a traffic jam for hours.

We are heading south (M6 /M5 )

What are the charges for a car and caravan for a single journey? Is it possible to buy a return ticket?

Thanks to anyone who can give me an answer.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I don't think it is a good idea to use the toll road if you are going onto the M5 as it will be a huge detour taking you to the otherside of Birmingham and then you are stuck in all the traffic on the M42 which is even worse. You could try the A449 picking up off junction 12 M6 onto A6 and then A449. Geting through Wolverhampton may be slow but at leaast you are moving. I have down it and once through Wolverhampton np problems. I guess it is a bit of a toss up as once you turn off the M6 onto the M5 it is normally plain saling even at 5pm.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Maureen - wher are you heading?

Agree with Ian 100% but unless you are going to the South West consider the Toll Road then the M40 - A34 (Excellent Newbury bi-pass now!) M3 then M27 either East or West.

Had a meeting in Flint, North Wales today - did not use the toll road on the way up but did on the way back - really good - reckonned it saved ua a lot of time as it was nearly rush hour.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Clive,

We are heading to Devon and Cornwall,and the thought of going through 'Brum with roadworks fills me full of dread.This isn't until Sept,so have plenty of time to decide.Not worried about the extra mileage if it is quicker,but Ian seems to think that the M42 could be the fly in the ointment.It will also be a Saturday which could have the shopping crowds out as well.

I read the info.on the highways website and it will be down to 2lanes at junct.8

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Maureen, why put yourselves through the hassle.... come to North Wales instead !

I'm up to Scotland so we'll balance out the the numbers .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I appreciate that some people have to travel on Saturdays, but I would avoid it if you can. Could you travel so that you hit the problem area early in the morning or late at night?

Or head north to Scotland, voted the most popular tourist resort in Scotland last year.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Maureeen.

I wouldn't worry too muck about any roadworks at M6/M5 intersection. The M6 between J15 and J10 is usually more conjested. Have you looked at the conjection that you will find at the Devon end of the M5 leading into Cornwall?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mike,

Oh dear,what have I started?

We live in Scotland and have just had a month's holiday touring the very north of Scotland which was wonderful.

Through "Friends Reunited" I now have an annual reunion with old school friends and this year is the turn for one of them living in Cornwall......hence the trip!!

All I am trying to do is find the least painless way to go.

( Which is difficult when the volume of traffic increases the further south you go!)

Flying would be an option but caravans don't fit into the aircraft hold very well :eek:)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
"The least painless way to go." Double negative = positive. So you are looking for the most painful way to go. Just make sure you include the M25 at 5 o'clock on a Friday.

Seriously, have you costed booking Flybe (Edinburgh to Newquay) or easyJet (Edinburgh, Glasgow or Inverness to Bristol) then hiring a car and using a Travelodge? It could be cheaper than you think - consider time, fuel cost, overnights etc.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mike P. Oops can't believe I made such a blunder!! Sorry for that.

We are going with the caravan ,because we love caravanning!The reunion will be only part of the holiday,so we just travel in easy stages.All the dates are in place and most of the sites as well.If we get stuck in a traffic jam,then so be it

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Maureen

Obviously forget the A34 if you are going to Devon & Cornwall.

Yes there will be congestion and yes it will be were it usually is no doubt!

Only suggestion I can make is travel through the night. we have done this on a number of occasions - the longest being from the Loire to Perpignan near the Spanish border and as long as you get enough sleep the day before it is far less hassle.

Does wipe you out a bit the following day but a few ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ's in your caravan should sort that out!

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Maureen

The roadworks are only a problem between 7:30 am and 9:00, then again between 4:00pm and 7:00pm. Avoid those times and it will not be a real problem

Steve

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Maureen I came down the M6 and joined the M5 a few weeks ago with no problem. There were roadworks further up the M6 though which caused us delays. The hold-up seemed to be where the M5 joins the M6, the queue going back about 4 miles although when we went north we had no problems joining the M6. As someone said earlier, don't bother going down to the M42, that is worse than the M5. Steve is right, don't hit it in the rush hour.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
There is no reduction or facility for getting returm ticket,to use the toll road to get to the M5 is a much longer journey but also takes you to the area of Jtn7 - Jtn 4 of M42 which can be a real pain and beware has dozens,yes dozens of speed cameras on every lane and are mounted on the back of the gantries so you dont see them until too late and they are digital,infra red so no flash.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes - the guy who drove us yesterday pointed out the cameras to us and said the same as above - No Flash! So you could drive somewhere and not realise you have just lost your license.

Thank God for cruise control!

Not sure of its benefits re fuel efficiency but as a way of keeping your licence! - invaluable.

Now if we could only get the Grafiti Artists to target the camera lenses - I would pay them for that artistry!

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Thankfully the road works at Thelwall Viaduct are now long gone but it was amazing how many accidents there were despite the 40 mph limit. I wouldn't want to be a worker protected from idiots flying through by a mere traffic cone...how about you ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I hadn't noticed the speed cameras on M6 toll and judging by the large numbers who overtake on there at high speed I'm not the only one!!

You can get a pass if registered disabled for

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
The speed cameras that I was reffering to are on the M42 not the toll road,there are no fixed cameras on the toll road but they often have mobile ones and it is patrolled on a regular basis by unmarked police cars.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Auto Express (I think!) did some speed tests on the M6 toll and the average speed was over 80mph with 117 mph being the fastest.

Even in the clearly marked 40mph at the toll booths some drivers think that they have to make a racing start.

They must be in a hurry to join the jams on M42

Its like the lemmings who race up to the ferry and force their way into queues when they then have to wait an hour or more for boarding

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The speed cameras that I was reffering to are on the M42 not the toll road,there are no fixed cameras on the toll road but they often have mobile ones and it is patrolled on a regular basis by unmarked police cars.
Just read your posting again and thanks for the gen on M42 cameras

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
One easy way to get a speeding ticket is to ignore the countdown speeds as you approach the bridges into and out of South Wales. Even when there is no traffic about still observe the speed restrictions.

This is more of a money making speed trap than anything else I have come accross.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts