Macho men?

May 13, 2006
Visit site
Hi all,

Can anyone explain the phenomenen of otherwise (presumably) sane men who, after pitching their caravans, change into shorts regardless of the weather and continue to wear them during the whole of their stay even if, as some do, they look utterly ridiculous?

In the same vein, why do some people insist on sitting outside their caravans, wrapped up to their ears, topped by wooly hats and scarves, some eating outside - not even in the shelter of an awning.

Without wishing to raise racist issues, it seems to me the majority are English and,perhaps being used to the warmer climes of the south, are on auto-pilot when they arrive on site - any site. Clarification sought!

Rob S.

Feb 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi Rob,

I do the shorts thing , but not the wooly hat bit ... i just feel a sense of freedom away from home, feel like i am on holiday even if it is 5 miles from home.

Regards Harry

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
Hi Rob Roy, your wrong there mate it is not only English. We had blue skies for two weeks over Easter in Germany (east) and all around they were outside in really cold winds, done up to the nines, first thing in the morning put new flowers on the table and breakfast out there. All i can say they are a hardy lot.

May 13, 2006
Visit site
Hi Harry,

Up here when kids saw a bloke in a kilt they'd shout "Kilty, kilty, cauld (cold) bum".

I'm sure if I wore a kilt in the same conditions as some of these guys wear shorts then those cat-calls would be very appropriate!

Rob S.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
We allso enjoy the outside experiance, i dont put shorts on if its cold but in summer i do wear three quarter length shorts mainly as they are a lot cooler than trousers or jeans and a lot easier to clean and dry if the kids get me in a water fight.

the caravan to us is an escape from the fast moving life we live and as soon as the weather is dry we will use the van and the awning to its full advantage this includes cooking and eating outside, but then again when we go away it is usually with at least two other vans which means we can have as many as 15 people round for meals.

Your not one of those annoying people who watch everything the other vanners are doing are you rob roy ?.

Feb 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi Harry,

Up here when kids saw a bloke in a kilt they'd shout "Kilty, kilty, cauld (cold) bum".

I'm sure if I wore a kilt in the same conditions as some of these guys wear shorts then those cat-calls would be very appropriate!

Rob S.
Ha Ha ... nice one rob ..... i am from glasgow but living among the sassanachs since 72' , still trying to show them how its done especially on the fitba front !

HARRY

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Robert

Guten Tag !!

When I lived in Berlin in the 60s it was "normal" at all times of year to see the sunworshippers by the Havel on their loungers covered by blankets that were whisked aside as soon as the sun appeared

There was even an advert for an insulated blanket(Isolatera) where a bikini clad beauty lay sunbathing in the snow with said blanket between her and the white stuff

So this is not a new phenomenon or solely English

Mad dogs and English men are more known for mid day sun

May 13, 2006
Visit site
We allso enjoy the outside experiance, i dont put shorts on if its cold but in summer i do wear three quarter length shorts mainly as they are a lot cooler than trousers or jeans and a lot easier to clean and dry if the kids get me in a water fight.

the caravan to us is an escape from the fast moving life we live and as soon as the weather is dry we will use the van and the awning to its full advantage this includes cooking and eating outside, but then again when we go away it is usually with at least two other vans which means we can have as many as 15 people round for meals.

Your not one of those annoying people who watch everything the other vanners are doing are you rob roy ?.
No, Icemaker,

I might very well be an annoying person (ask my wife) - but not one who watches all the goings on on a site. However, when having a meal (inside the van) one cannot help noticing some of the passers by - or evening promenaders including the shorts wearers. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind what people wear but I just wonder about this hell-bent rush to wear shorts merely because one is on holiday and having no regard to the prevailing conditions.

Rob S.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rob Roy, as the Big Yin once said, when we leave our native parts to go on holiday, we take a week to change from blue to the normal colour of all other folk, then another week trying to get a sun tan. We have had most of our hols down south and even on a normal day there is a great difference in temperatures from what we have up here. A couple of years ago we were at Kelling Heath in mid-September and I was sitting outside one sunny morning eating my fry-up in my shorts and no top on, when I received a call in relation to my work and I had to inform the caller of where I was and what I was doing at the time he called, and he told me he had to scrape ice off his windscreen that morning and coudnt beleive the difference in conditions. Maybe I've been lucky weather-wise, but I must hold my hands up and say I'm one of the shorts brigade.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
SPOT THE MACHO MAN ;O)
easter%2007%20017.jpg

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Shorts to go to and from the shower - saves hopping around on wet floors trying to get slightly damp legs into full length trousers. On the other hand doing the 'post shower trouser hop' might save having to mop the floor !

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
Shorts definitely - mind you I do live in the West Country.

I was sat outside this weekend in shorts at 11 in the evening and no need for a blanket or woolly hat. (what is a woolly hat?)

It also means you do not get your knees dirty while setting up and pegging down (well - only dirty skin not clothes!)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts