Made it to Germany and back for my new Dethleff Pacific 530SK.

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi all

I posted here a few weeks back that I was going to buy my first caravan in Germany.
The reason being it was the only one I liked with the specific layout I wanted.
On Mon 31st Oct, myself and 11yo son Christopher drove in my 2005 X5 diesel from Donegal to Belfast, got the Stena ferry to Stranraer and travelled to Eastriggs(neaer Carlisle) where I stayed overnight with my cousin. Following day headed to Newcastle for 5pm DFDS ferry to Ijmuiden Amsterdam which arrived in the following morning 9am. Got off ferry, adjusted watch forward an hour, and sun was shining, and this was my first time at driving on the right in Europe, took an hour to go from ass puckering terrified, to comfortable, by another hour all was normal. Headed via Arnhem to Mulheim north of Dusseldorf to caravan park Thrun. Did my business there with Andreas who is a really helpful chap, had sent him a deposit and paid the balance on the day, following checking the caravan out thoroughly, with which was everything I expected and more. Bought some bits and pieces in their shop including a hitch lock. One thing I had trouble organising before I set off was to get a campsite that stayed open after the 31st October. Anyway Andreas organised this with a phone call and we set off to a campsite only 9Km away. We arrived at checkin, courteous lady greeted me and started filling in her form when she asked me for our passports, this I did and when she opened them she turned a very bad colour and got somewhat distressed and said the park was full and that I was to leave. Little did I know, the previous week they had travellers(tinkers) from Ireland and had caused them a lot of trouble. She thought we were more of the same. Luckily the site owner turned up and explained to her we were ok as he was a friend of Andreas. The owner told me they ahd a huge incident with the "irish Travellers" where the police had to be called, he told me they called him a Natzi bastard. I was totally disgusted at that, and while I know a few travellers who are decent people, I assured him that these guys were not representative of the Irish as a whole.
I stayed there 2 nights and found the people courteous and co-operative and very friendly. He had a restaurant and bar and we ate there every evening where we always got a friendly greeting from both staff and punters.
Following day headed north again for Ijmuiden for the 5pm sailing with DFDS, ever conscious of the width and length of the object behind me now, when changing lanes on the Autobahn. That ship is better than a 5 star hotel, great evening meal, cabin, cinema, and morning breakfast. Next day was to be a long day. Arrived at Newcastle 9am, adjusted watchesback an hour, and drove to Eastriggs again and checked in with the cousin for a few hours and then set off for the 8pm sailing from Stranraer for Belfast. Arrived home safely about 1am. X5 diesel did 36mpg on way over and 24mpg on way back towing.
Wish I had longer to spend there, roads in Germany were great, I did travel for a while at 190kph on the autobahn but backed off as I knew I was a long way from home. The roads in the Netherlands have to be experienced to be believed as to how smooth they are, never knew the like existed, it was like cruising in a very smooth jet. Fuel is more expensive there than Ireland. On the trip I met some really cool people along the way, nice people, and luckily everything went to plan except one incident in Newcastle where they were doing roadworks on the way to the port and I was funelled off with cones into a damn tunnel. Had to drive back to Newcastle where I crossed the river again, but this time Iwas ready for those darned cones and made it to the ferry port.

I now own a caravan, my first, and it is the one I wanted.
Will post pictures soon.
Best wishes all.

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Hi Donegal.

Well that was some journey to collect your first caravan. Hope you enjoy it. We have been caravanning for 4 years now and love it. So best of luck and hope you enjoy your new found hobby .

Dougie....

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi Nigel
The caravan is good, very well put together, has the layout I want, and reeks of solid teutonic quality. Minimum frivolity with the emphasis on functionality and build quality. The Pacific 530 series was a limited run of the popular Camper 530SK with some costly options included as standard. There are very few of them left.
Cooking facilities consists at the moment of hob only but I will quickly rectify this by removing 2 drawers and inserting a 25/30L combination grill/oven. It had to be converted for 12v autonomy at my request by the dealer as it did not come with this as standard. Also, spare wheel was an option that had to be paid for. They also fitted a dual bike rack to the front A frame at my request.
The brakes are good, the whole unit stays straight and true under heavy braking. This I had an opportunity to test as the lane of traffic I was in went from ~70mph to 0 in a very short time on a ring road around Amsterdam as there regretfully had been an RTA up ahead, that was just after happening, and all lanes ground to a halt very abruptly. Difficult on the move to maintain a big open space in front as someone eventually overtakes and fills it.

See a panoramic view of the interior here.......
http://www2.dethleffs.de/include/pano/panoService.php?baureihe=Pacific&modell=530%20SK&land=de&jahr=2010

Some pictures here....
http://www.caraworld.de/Dethleffs-Pacific-530-SK-Wohnwagen-neu-2010-45481-Muelheim-Ruhr-915f0.html

If I were to improve the design, I would lengthen it by as little as 2' to give more kitchen space, and put in a second axle.
But for my needs, it is fit for purpose as is, and was at the price point I wanted to spend.
It really is a thing of beauty when lit up at night plugged into the vehicle.
It came as standard with 13pin plug, which plugged neatly into my vehicle.
Jobs to do include fitting gas oven/grill, microwave, tv, sat dish on roof and terrestrial antenna.
As I'm an engineer, should be able to do most of this myself if I can get the time, as I'm also a farmer.

It tows really well, don't know it's really there until you hit a hill, which was a rare thing in NL :)
The only dodgy road I was on during the return journey was the A75 Dumfries to Stranraer, particularly the last 1/2 next Stranraer.
I pity the truck drivers using this on a daily basis. Someone needs to lobby someone about getting some money spent on this, ASAP, as it is a critical and busy haulage route.

Amazingly I managed to get it home dry, no rain while travelling so roads dry and no spray.

I will post some pictures from the actual trip here very soon, images still on my camera.

This trip was a long time in the planning, I even got a pet passport for the dog, but was unable to bring him as 6 months must elapse from his last rabies jab. Did we ever get a tail wagging welcome on our return :)
We were equally happy to see him.

Best wishes, more later.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
That's a nice looking caravan Donegal, glad your trip went well.
I hope that you and your family have any happy times with the new caravan and we'll look forward to the pictures of your road trip.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts