Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
Happened to look at our Coachman from our lounge window and saw couple of magpies on the roof pecking away at something by the extractor vent, looking closer it turned out to be the sealing compound or maybe the seal of some sort they were having a go at . I am use to seeing herring gulls on it but not trying to do anything like this.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Magpies have stolen great chunks of the flashing sealing my conservatory to the house.

A few years ago they were notorious for removing the rubber window seals from Vauxhall cars.

Oct 9, 2006
Visit site
I can vouch for this also.

About 2 years ago I purchased a new car and after about 2 months of ownership noticed that the wiper blades had split. I took the car back to the dealer who replaced them free of charge. a couple of weeks later i noticed 2 crows on my windscreen pecking at the rubbers again. by the time i managed to shooo them off the same damage was done! I now cover the windscreen wipers with empty plastic pop bottles.. it does the trick! (mind you, its a pain in the butt taking the bottles off in the pouring rain! lol

Aug 12, 2005
Visit site
Like Andrew I've lost all three wiperblades to crows. It happens regularly in the car park at work and some people have lost three sets. One member of staff covers her wiperblades with the cardboard inner tubes from rolls of tinfoil or cling film as she's lost two sets.

April

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
Magpies are easy to deal with ...... shoot the b****rs.

In law a landowner has the right to shoot magpies on his/her land under a permit granted by the Secretary of State (cant remember which one) and this is automatically granted without the need to apply.

Now ....... I make no comment as to whether I agree of disagree with shooting them. I simply offer the information.

Steve

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
So are you saying, if you have a current shot gun licence, you can stand in your tiny front garden or on the street and shoot away?

Lisa

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
So are you saying, if you have a current shot gun licence, you can stand in your tiny front garden or on the street and shoot away?

Lisa
On reflection, I think he might mean the Gentry which sadly rules me out. LOL!

Lisa

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not if you want to continue to have a license. It is illegal to discharge a shotgun within 50yards of a public highway (I think they are still working in yards, but wouldn't like to split hairs.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
QUOTE: Not if you want to continue to have a license. It is illegal to discharge a shotgun within 50yards of a public highway (I think they are still working in yards, but wouldn't like to split hairs. UNQUOTE

That's why I made my tongue in cheek reply about a tiny front garden. I used to shoot a few years ago but only ever with the club on authorised land.

I think Meister might be referring to those who own estates with acres of land or farmers. A bit like 'if your dog chases my livestock, I have the right to kill it'.

Lisa

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
The law in this case does not differentiate between the landed gentry and others however, it is indeed an offence to discharge a "FIREARM" within a certain distance of a highway. I cant remember if it is 50 Yards or 50 Feet. Also, it relates to ALL firearms which includes air weapons !

BUT

If like rabbit pie how about this ........

"Pests Act 1954

14.23 Under the Pests Act 1954, the whole of England and Wales, apart from the City of London, the Isles of Scilly and Skokholm Island, has been declared a rabbit clearance area.

Within this area, occupiers of land have a continuing obligation to kill or take any wild rabbits living on, or resorting to, their land, or to prevent the rabbits from causing damage elsewhere by, for example, fencing them in with rabbit-proof fencing.

Failure to fulfil these obligations may lead to the occupier being prosecuted or the work carried out at their expense."

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
Well, as i am recovering from arm surgery i am spending more hours just observing the wild life in our garden, as i said about the Magpies and what they got up to , now in the last 24hrs i have got 3 badgers who delight in digging parts of the lawn up woodpecker drilling holes all over the show and because my Wife feeds a flock of sparrows who for every 1 seed they eat 4 fall on the grass and have counted 11 pigeons waiting to be fed. As for killing them i just have not got the that kind of mind.Some times i wish i had .

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I had to have one of my rabbits put down today due to mixametosis. It's an awful contagious, usually fatal, viral infection - I've never seen an animal suffer as much as it was suffering today.

This is a man made disease which was introduced into the country in the 50's in the hope of reducing the wild rabbit population. I don't blame any farmer who wants to get rid of wild rabbits by means of a gun. They do a heck of a lot of damage around farms and livery yards.

Lisa

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts