Mains Water Connection

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Could anyone tell me if I can connect a water supply direct to the inlet on my 2004 Abbey GTS Vogue 417? I currently use a ballvalve in the side of my Aquaroll, but I have seen a few hoses connected directly to the water inlets. I am new to caravanning but have some idea about water as I am a Plumber!!

Any ideas please?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Chris

I had a mains water adapter kit for my Carver system which contained the required pressure reducing valve. Obviously the mains pressure is far higher as a rule than the 12v pump pressure.

You can also get a kit for the Whale system which I presume contains a reducing valve. See the following web page, you'll need to scroll down the page to '350244 - Whale Aquasource Main Water connection':

http://www.caravanningworld.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Pumps___Filters_30.html

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would imagine that to connect the water supply directly to the van would require

a) a onboard tank

b) a pressure reducing valve

c) a auto shut off valve to operate when the tank is full

Theoretically you can fit in a caravan what you fit in the home but practically the space and weight will be prohibitive

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Standard caravan wate fittings are only rated to 1.5Bar water pressure. Domestic mains can go as high as 6+bar, so it is essential to use a proper pressure reducing valve not just a flow restricter.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Elsewhere in the forums, I've described how to make your own device which allows mains water connection without overpressure in the van. (But can't remeber where I posted it)

Get a Torbeck side entry cistern valve - Screwfix or any DIY - and fit through the side cap of a 40 l Aquaroll - the 24l size3 cap is too small. Connect this via garden hose and fitting s to your standpipe and you will have 20litres of thereabouts of water in the Aquaroll at all times. You need to mark the aquaroll cap so you know which way is "up" so far as the valve is concerned, but it's really not very difficult.

I carry 30m. of non-kink hose cut into 10m and 20m. and use according to position of site tap. In Europe it's a good idea to get a small collection of the screw-on tap connectors, plus one which has a rubber mini-funnel and screw-up clamp, but beware that these sort will sometimes not withstand the full mains pressure when you float valve switches off.

Hope this helps.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Elsewhere in the forums, I've described how to make your own device which allows mains water connection without overpressure in the van. (But can't remeber where I posted it)

Get a Torbeck side entry cistern valve - Screwfix or any DIY - and fit through the side cap of a 40 l Aquaroll - the 24l size3 cap is too small. Connect this via garden hose and fitting s to your standpipe and you will have 20litres of thereabouts of water in the Aquaroll at all times. You need to mark the aquaroll cap so you know which way is "up" so far as the valve is concerned, but it's really not very difficult.

I carry 30m. of non-kink hose cut into 10m and 20m. and use according to position of site tap. In Europe it's a good idea to get a small collection of the screw-on tap connectors, plus one which has a rubber mini-funnel and screw-up clamp, but beware that these sort will sometimes not withstand the full mains pressure when you float valve switches off.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Ray, I already did this as I have a van full of ballvalves. What I am looking for is a method of connecting a hose directly to the water pump inlet connection on the side of the van. I understand all the technical side of inlet pressures, working pressures, static pressures etc as I am a Plumber. I just thought that I could get away without having to use the aquaroll etc.

Thanks for your help, Chris P

May 29, 2005
Visit site
hi chris as you are probably aware there are mains kits to reduce pressure but i would stay with the setup you have as if anything bursts the water under pressure is outside on the water container not in the van. made myself a auto fill water contaner using a distilled water 30litre contaner and a torbek valve and garden hose as described on one of your replies and this works great

regards tony

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts