Maintenance

Lia

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
We have a 10 year old motorhome and have had it a couple of years. Other than using it and having it serviced and checked we have done little in the way of cleaning and maintaining it. Can anyone recommend a book or simple list of things we should do, how often and how we should do them.

Lia

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi Lia, and welcome.
No doubt some of our more technical members will be along in due course with their wisdom, but personally when I had a van of that age I tended to follow the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" principle. Beyond the usual vehicle checks (oil, water, tyres, brake linings etc), as long as things were working I left them alone.
However it's probably wise to let qualified people look over your gas and mains systems from time to time for peace of mind.
I believe there's a "Haynes" manual for motorhomes in general. I've not seen one, but their car manuals are excellent so that may help.

Lia

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Tony. My husband keeps reading practical motorhome and saying we should be lubricating joints and putting vaseline round windows and such like and then we just get worried that we will use the wrong stuff. I suppose we have been operating the if it aint broke philosophy but was worried that with doing nothing we would find that some things had got beyond easy repair.

I am relieved you think not.

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm with Andy on the book, it is a good introduction although it won't give you the detail you are seeking. Produce you own maintenance schedule if you wish. A good starting point is to look at what the dealer does on a service and see if you can do those tasks. Read your manual or try and get a copy of one. Then get qualified help for the electrics and gas.
Add to your maintenance schedule as you read and learn. However, be careful because there is a difference between sound advice and personal opinion on forums. For example, this is my advice based on my experience with my van and my usage. It may not suit you if you go wandering down the Silk Road to China!
I usually spring clean my van by checking the bits and bobs that are easy. I lubricate the rubbers on the windows using a silicone spray which you can get from Thetford and most accessory shops.
Think about going on a few rallies with one of the clubs to meet fellow motorhomers.
And don't worry. Many of us started out with little experience.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts