Major Caravan Park Fire

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Having served my 'caravanning apprenticeship' over 40 years I have motored/towed 1000's of miles with gas bottles in the car, as have 100's of friends/acquaintances never heard or seen of an incident. But hey-ho the 'Titanic' only sank once!

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I dont think I would ever do a journey with gas bottles in the car, but certainly *** to the local dealer for a refill as I dont see any other way except for taking the caravan with me and I have no intention of doing that.

Just whilst we are on the subject of gas safety, we have been getting ready this morning, and my wife is convinced she can smell gas in the front locker. Pigtail is the orange rubber type, about 3 years old, I have two bottles, only one connected. All the unions are tight including the bulkhead, would it be normal for the rubber to take on the smell of gas. The pigtail looks to be in good condition.
Im assuming there is no easy way to test for a leak.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you smell gas turn of the bottle and get the system checked.

The most practical way is to do a gas tightness/ pressure drop test, You need to correct tools and method. Normally only gas fitters will have the right equipment.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Thats the odd thing. Both bottles are turned off. Even the connected one has never been turned on. This is why i think its the pigtail she can smell. I cant see the bottle leaking tbh.

There has been no gas through the system since bottle change. Most odd.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Amazing . For 40 years my gas bottles remain in the caravan in storage. No issues.
Fires use many factors to increase and continue combustion . The ignition point of caravan materials is very relevant. Aluminium, plastics, GRP, wood, synthetic plastics in lieu of wood, and so on will burn ferociously once ignited and the core temperature is high.
Hamburg , Coventry and Dresden burnt to a crisp. I bet they had no gas bottles :whistle:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
It's a safe bet that the aforementioned cities has gasworks, gas mains and gasometers though.
I doubt if their prescence made much difference to the end result however.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Well, its not often I can say this, but what an absolutely fantastic service from Calor. I was certain the smell of gas wasnt from the caravans system as we hadnt been putting gas through it and it was isolated at the bottle. Having put a new bottle in last week, I wondered if it was a fault on the bottle and for advice I rang the Calor emergency number.

They sent out an engineer, who has only just left as I write this at 2119 hrs. Hes been here for a good three hours and he tested properly both bottles, and the whole caravan system. He couldnt find any fault at all and suggested it may be a bit of waxing causing venting within the regulator, and proceeded to change the regulator. As he left, he left me a bottle of fluid for testing the seals around the gas fittings, not sure what it is but its chemical, and not soapy water.
And the charge for this service.....................................zero. A brilliant and friendly service, well pleased. And to top it off, the lad has had a 110 mile journey each way.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We see lots of comments about the trials and tribulations of touring caravan ownership, so it's a nice change to read about an example of good customer service

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts