Maneuverability question

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Looking at getting my first caravan soon, which is going to be a 4 berth - in the range of 7 - 7.3m long. I'm wondering about getting it onto my driveway safely. The drive is 8 m long, and about 9 m wide - so no problems there. However, to get to it you come up a "normal width" road on a slight hill (no more than 1%) and then turn at right angles to get into the drive, if that makes sense. To park the van I envisage driving up the hill - uncoupling - then reversing it and swinging it through 90 degrees to go onto the drive. Maneuver would be reversed coming out, so would wheel it out and swing 90 degrees so it is facing downhill ready to be hitched up.

I'm wondering how easy it is to maneuver a van on a slight hill by hand? There's nowhere near enough room to swing it around using a car so that would have to be decoupled. Is pushing it through 90 degrees and backwards up a 0.5 - 1% hill realistic for one person (reasonably big / strong) or a no-go? If not, then I presume I'm looking at a motor mover. From what I've seen, you can move the left and right wheels independently with these, like driving a tank - so is a fairly tight 90-degree pivot possible with a mover?

Thanks in advance.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi tuffty,
can you move a caravan on your own, that depends on several factors, weight, is one, it may be possible but is definitly not recommended. a mover is the best option, and yes you can move it at 90degrees if fact you can spin it 360 degrees on it's own axis if you want by sending one wheel forwards and the other in reverse.
there have been many threads on the subject I suggest you look through some old threads to see whats been written one thing is for sure once you have one you will wonder how you ever managed without one.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
tuffty said:
I'm wondering how easy it is to maneuver a van on a slight hill by hand? ........ If not, then I presume I'm looking at a motor mover. From what I've seen, you can move the left and right wheels independently with these, like driving a tank - so is a fairly tight 90-degree pivot possible with a mover?

A single person can move a caravan reasonably easy on a completely level hard (tarmac/concrete) surface. Anything else is difficult due to gravity and/or surface friction.

Yes - with a mover you can spin a van around on its own vertical centre axis, one main wheel going forward and the other going backwards. The nosewheel produces a circular arc. Once you get a mover you will never look back.

Edit - looks like Colin was quicker at typing than I was. Beat me to the reply.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
My apologies "O" King, but as a loyal knight ones duty is to be on guard while your highness Sleeps, :p

ps, for tuffty ignore the last passage it now't to do with movers :woohoo:

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Great thanks, that's reassuring - didn't want to buy a van, get it home and realise I couldn't get it on the drive! Having searched around a few of the other topics the mover seems like a pretty good idea so I reckon I'll save my back and get one of those.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
tuffty said:
Looking at getting my first caravan soon, which is going to be a 4 berth - in the range of 7 - 7.3m long..................

Hmmm - That's a big caravan, and the law says the biggest caravan a cat B vehicle can tow is 7m long excluding draw bar and coupling. My guess is that any caravan of that size will weigh as a minimum 1600kg , so its going to be difficult to manhandle such a beast.

Given the description of your access, I would be inclined to suggest the only practical solution is a caravan mover.

Do check your caravan dimensions, because if the body Including front locker exceeds 7 M you have to use a tow vehicle of unladen weight 3500Kg or more. Also check your driving licence for entitlements to drive such a large outfit.

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Oh really? I was taking that dimension from a Bailey Rimini, but all the 4 berths seem about the same. I was looking at the "length as shipped" column in the caravan-by-caravan list in Practical Caravan magazine, just to get an idea of dimensions. I assumed that's the overall external dimension.

Car is a BMW 520d at 1710kg so very definitely not in the 3500kg category. I was looking at vans around 1450 - 1500 kg. Licence-wise I passed full car test in 1994, so I think I'm ok for any combination up to 3500kg.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Tuffty,

Yes the shipping length does include the drawbar and coupling, but official caravan length for construction and use purposes excludes the drawbar, Also as you passed your test prior to 1997, that entitles you to drive a combination in excess of 3500Kg. so my comments are not relevant, but no harm in checking.

happy caravanning

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You should be fine on a gentle slope with the right mover, particularly if the surface is hard.

To be safe suggest you look at the 'heavy duty' movers which may be a little more expensive but does no harm to have a bit in hand. I have had the original HD Powrtouch fitted to a 1600 KG van and it coped with quite a slope surfaced with large gravel. The current 1500kg. van with Powrtouch Evolution has no problems at all with the slope and surface.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Tuffty............don't forget that a mover will weigh around 40kgs (including all fittings) and that weight will come off your caravan payload.
Movers are so popular now that most users forget to point out that undeniable fact .
From what you have posted you may well find that fitting one is still your best option.

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
As I see it, if you want to avoid the cost and weight penalties of an electric mover system.
The way to get the caravan into your drive is to get the slight incline to work in your favour.
Drive past your driveway going uphill and stop so that the wheels of the 'van are level with the higher up gate post.
Unhitch and use gravity to assist in swinging the van round to align with the driveway and push.
Getting the van out you would swing the van down slope and then hitch up.
Of course you may end up wanting an electric mover any way to help when pitching on site.
These range from very good to not so good so do your homework.
Rgds

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would be wary of this idea as it would be very easy to lose control on anything other than a very modest slope.
As I see it, if you want to avoid the cost and weight penalties of an electric mover system.
The way to get the caravan into your drive is to get the slight incline to work in your favour.
Drive past your driveway going uphill and stop so that the wheels of the 'van are level with the higher up gate post.
Unhitch and use gravity to assist in swinging the van round to align with the driveway and push.
Getting the van out you would swing the van down slope and then hitch up.
Of course you may end up wanting an electric mover any way to help when pitching on site.
These range from very good to not so good so do your homework.
Rgds[/quote]

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Yes thanks, I'm pretty sold on the mover idea tbh - if nothing else it sounds like fun having a remote control van to drive around :p . Having had a look around, as I'm looking at buying secondhand there seem to be a lot of vans with the mover already included anyway. I get the point about the 40kg payload, but I've been telling the wife that she really doesn't need to take 20 pairs of shoes with her to a campsite so that should save some weight!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts