Manoeuvring Courses

Aug 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I am a newbie to caravanning (see my post in the 'newbies' forum) & I have recently booked a 1 day caravan manoeuvring course with the Camping & Caravan Club to take place shorly at Lancaster. Has anyone out there attended one of these courses (either C&CC or CC)and if so I would love to hear your comments, good or bad.

Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I did a C&CC one day course a few years ago, when we got our first caravan, it was very good. I learnt a lot and came away feeling a lot more confident about towing a caravan. I would recomend them. I wouldn't mind doing another one. The course I was on has a mix of people who were new caravaners through to one chap who had been towing for 20 years, they split us into small groups acording to our towing experience, the more advanced towers were taught how to reverse paralell park with a van!

Hope you enjoy your day.

jog

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Paul I've been towing for over 20years. Last year my wife & I attended a course held by the CC @ Evesham, Worcester. Primarily it was to give her a better understanding and increase her confidence (i.e I was there for moral support)

However I found it extremely helpful and learned some stuff as well - didn't think I would, being a "know it all male" !!!

I'm sure anyone going on one of these courses will learn something & you'll definitely enjoy it. Have fun, good luck with your towing & happy camping. Regards Gooner

Aug 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi Folks,

I've just spent a while searching for my own topic! I'm sure I was in the Towing, Driving & Safety forum when I posted it & have no idea what it's doing in this forum ~ so I'm surprised to have any replies at all, but hey, so what & thanks for your comments.

I gather from the paperwork I recd from the C&CC after I'd made the booking that only I am allowed into the training area and classroom. I'd intended going with my wife Sue but it seems she would have to stand around for 8 hours or so doing nothing! I rang the C&CC and they confirmed that she could not take any part and not even sit in the back of the car whilst I was doing the driving bit! I was really looking forward to attending the course with her as I thought she would gain something from it, as well as providing some moral support for me, even if she could not actually take the wheel during the practical sessions.

Given the C&CC's own advice re having someone to assist and guide you when manoeuvring, I find this a little odd.

Gooner, did you and you wife attend the CC course as two fee paying members or just a single fee paying member?

Jo, did you or other members on the C&CC course attend with wives/partners?

Whatever happens, I am looking forward to the course and I'm sure I'll learn a lot from it.

Thanks once again for your replies.

Best regards,

Paul

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Folks,

I've just spent a while searching for my own topic! I'm sure I was in the Towing, Driving & Safety forum when I posted it & have no idea what it's doing in this forum ~ so I'm surprised to have any replies at all, but hey, so what & thanks for your comments.

I gather from the paperwork I recd from the C&CC after I'd made the booking that only I am allowed into the training area and classroom. I'd intended going with my wife Sue but it seems she would have to stand around for 8 hours or so doing nothing! I rang the C&CC and they confirmed that she could not take any part and not even sit in the back of the car whilst I was doing the driving bit! I was really looking forward to attending the course with her as I thought she would gain something from it, as well as providing some moral support for me, even if she could not actually take the wheel during the practical sessions.

Given the C&CC's own advice re having someone to assist and guide you when manoeuvring, I find this a little odd.

Gooner, did you and you wife attend the CC course as two fee paying members or just a single fee paying member?

Jo, did you or other members on the C&CC course attend with wives/partners?

Whatever happens, I am looking forward to the course and I'm sure I'll learn a lot from it.

Thanks once again for your replies.

Best regards,

Paul
Hi Paul,

There was one couple who came on the course that I was on but they had paid for two places. The club restrict the number of places on the course so there is a good ratio of 'pupils' to 'teachers'

In fairness to the club they have to pay for renting the venue, in our case it was a local secondary school, also they provide the caravans to use on the course, the vans were transported to the venue on transporter lorries. I would imagine therefore that the course costs quite a lot for the club to put on, and they need to recoupe these costs in the fees.

I can see why they will not allow 'observers', it can be quite daunting towing with an audiance at first, although I soon got over that and there was a real sence of comaradery between the attendees.

It might be worth suggesting to the club they consider doing a reduction if two people book together. I do feel that the course is money well spent.

Hope you enjoy the course. Jog

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Again Paul,

"Gooner, did you and you wife attend the CC course as two fee paying members or just a single fee paying member?"

Yes we both paid a fee - reduced as a couple, and as Jo explained the clubs do have to cover costs. Observers/parteners are a distraction and aren't allowed by either club. I can understand the reasons and still consider the costs good value.

I am sure you'll enjoy it.

Aug 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi Again Paul,

"Gooner, did you and you wife attend the CC course as two fee paying members or just a single fee paying member?"

Yes we both paid a fee - reduced as a couple, and as Jo explained the clubs do have to cover costs. Observers/parteners are a distraction and aren't allowed by either club. I can understand the reasons and still consider the costs good value.

I am sure you'll enjoy it.
Hi Gooner,

Yes, on reflection I know you're both right and I do fully understand the reasons when I think about it, and anyway, my wife is real scary when she's trying to give directions, you know, left and right hand trouble, "..this way a bit, no, no, that way" !!! etc, I could end up anywhere (only joking!).

Cheers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts