Manual or automatic

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am the odd one out. I have driven manuals all my driving days except for one BMW 5 series a couple of years back. Frankly I could not get on with it and it put me off them. Possibly your best bet is to try a demonstrator and see what you think as it is a very personal thing.
I might be a bit of control freak and need to be in control of everything I can, so perhaps it does depend on your personality.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am the odd one out. I have driven manuals all my driving days except for one BMW 5 series a couple of years back. Frankly I could not get on with it and it put me off them. Possibly your best bet is to try a demonstrator and see what you think as it is a very personal thing.
I might be a bit of control freak and need to be in control of everything I can, so perhaps it does depend on your personality.

Most modern automatics give as much control as a manual and more. Mine provides HDC, paddle shifts, three engine performance modes and transfer to manual. Years ago I drove a hired Vauxhall and even that auto had a mode to engage for snow and poor traction conditions.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Years ago I drove a hired Vauxhall and even that auto had a mode to engage for snow and poor traction conditions.

Brilliant piece of engineering marketing - the Vauxhall "snowflake" button simply made the gearbox start in 3rd gear, substantially reducing the torque at the wheels - it also worked well at hauling a 97% caravan off wet campsites ;)

Reactions: otherclive
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Brilliant piece of engineering marketing - the Vauxhall "snowflake" button simply made the gearbox start in 3rd gear, substantially reducing the torque at the wheels - it also worked well at hauling a 97% caravan off wet campsites ;)
My Omega had a snow button, and linked with rear wheel drive, ideal for getting off wet sites. Sounded like a sport car when van in tow.:love::love::love:

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Ive got a 66 plate Santa fe premium auto towing Bailey Olympus 530/4 uprated to 1500kg.
I love it.
Not sure mpg towing but around town 28-35mpg.

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Will try and have a look around for a auto then seems everyone thinks the same for towing still fancy a hyundi tho but always fancied a pick up sumat like a ranger
I’ve been towing with a pickup for the last 4 years ( Nissan Navara) We have found it the ideal towcar for us. All the caravan stuff fits easily in the back as we have a hard top on ours which has a 1 tonne payload and you still have a full 5 seats isolated from the cargo area. Effortlessly tows our Conqueror, just a bit of a big rig at over 40 feet long. This year we have replaced it with a SsangYong Musso. Much more carlike which the wife likes and a foot or so shorter. Automatic naturally. Free towbar courtesy of CMHC membership saved £750 too. B18C837C-2E83-4B24-890A-04A80E53717F.jpeg

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Auto all the way for me.....BUT, be aware of the trend for DCT over traditional auto (particularly with KIA / HYUNDAI) as i am not convinced they are the best choice for towing....low speed manoeuvring and stop start traffic appear to be a weak point....

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Auto all the way for me.....BUT, be aware of the trend for DCT over traditional auto (particularly with KIA / HYUNDAI) as i am not convinced they are the best choice for towing....low speed manoeuvring and stop start traffic appear to be a weak point....
Agree. DCT just use clutches and they can be susceptible to increased wear in the conditions you state.

ps edit. Although most modern DCT gearboxes used for high torque applications IE 2.0 litre diesels and above have oil lubricated clutches and don’t seem so susceptible to wear as the earlier versions. But I still drove my 2.0 Skoda aware that it still used clutches.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

The new (2021) Hyundai Santa Fe switches from conventional autobox to DCT type - shame as their present autobox is a good one.

Reactions: Hutch
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I’ve been towing with a pickup for the last 4 years ( Nissan Navara) We have found it the ideal towcar for us. All the caravan stuff fits easily in the back as we have a hard top on ours which has a 1 tonne payload and you still have a full 5 seats isolated from the cargo area. Effortlessly tows our Conqueror, just a bit of a big rig at over 40 feet long. This year we have replaced it with a SsangYong Musso. Much more carlike which the wife likes and a foot or so shorter. Automatic naturally. Free towbar courtesy of CMHC membership saved £750 too. View attachment 467
Stunning outfit enjoy :)

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Best gearboxes are still the old torque convertor box as minimal trouble in comparison to the DSG gear box.

Best in terms of reliability and smoothness but not the best for economy - which is the big focus these days - however any vehicle suitable for towing isn't going to be the best for economy, solo or towing.

Reactions: DaveA1 and Buckman
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I’ve been towing with a pickup for the last 4 years ( Nissan Navara) We have found it the ideal towcar for us. All the caravan stuff fits easily in the back as we have a hard top on ours which has a 1 tonne payload and you still have a full 5 seats isolated from the cargo area. Effortlessly tows our Conqueror, just a bit of a big rig at over 40 feet long. This year we have replaced it with a SsangYong Musso. Much more carlike which the wife likes and a foot or so shorter. Automatic naturally. Free towbar courtesy of CMHC membership saved £750 too.

We tow with a Navara- you hardly know the Bucanneer is on the back tbh and we have managed 30mpg last couple of times out now it's run in!
SUPERB car-as above I like the control of a manual gearbox and chose that for that reason and also for its better economy. We have an auto mini clubman jcw which is fantastic in sport mode as the box is linked to the sat nav so knows the road-never had an auto that is so in tune with what you want as a driver-however in std or green mode it doesn't float my boat and I don't feel in control in the same way at all. Sport mode, however is amazing but thirsty!!!!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts