Manual v Auto

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
Regards towing is there a preference between Manual and Auto transmissions?
I appreciate there may be many variables but lets say it would be a 2000cc + engine to start with, any opinions appreciated.
Cheers

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
have towed with both manuals and autos and my preference is for a proper torque convertor auto. You won't be bothered about clutch wear/burn when pitching up nor will stop start traffic congestion cause clutch or knee problems. However there will be many replies who support manual gearboxes, so really it must be your call.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Auto all the time for me, much more relaxing especially in traffic etc.Set cruise and just leave cant think of anything move simplier?
Great for hill starts.
Some cars have a lower tow limit and are a bit more thirsty

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I currently don't own an auto at the moment but I have driven several solo and whilst towing, and my preference is modern auto, and whilst they are still a little more thirst than their manual counterparts, its really eases the journey.

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks All, Looks like Auto is the way foeward then which is great because I really enjoyed the Auto when driven in USA.
Thanks again.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Manual every time,own both auto and manual towed with both.For me the auto is extremely frustrating allways searching up and down the gearbox,can spot a hill from 10miles away and is absolutely pointless.With 230hp on tap i wouldnt expect to change gear in a manual at the slightest whiff of a hill which is what the auto and i expect all autos do.
I then think i,d rather have a manual with just a clutch to worry about instead of the mass of extra electrics plus another transmission ecu,and come to think of it most modern autos still use a clutch or maybe even two.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
If it is the torque convertor gearbox, then you are okay, but if it is an automatic manual gearbox avoid like the plague. We had the Mondeo 2.0 diesel with the so called auto box and the gearbox has to be one of the worst on the market as it is basically a clutchless manual box . Truly awful.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My last auto was a sorento 5 speed which never had a problem finding the most suitable gear, and my latest is 6 speed and with 205ps on tap rarely drops out of top when towing on M ways. You ar incorrect in saying most autos have clutches there are still plenty with torque convertor and others with CVT, but my strong prefence is torque convertor.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Bloody hell i wish i was that lucky,mine never gets in top on the motorway most of the time running in 5th!That is most probably down to the fact its so high geared though.Still not for me but thats just my taste,i dont enjoy hearing 5 cylinders screaming at the site of a hill.I cant understand why the transmissions are programmed like this,why not just let it climb the hill on the torque ?

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Sorry i thought the Vag range still had clutchs fitted?Mine has a torque converter to.I do admit in that respect they are smooth.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
seth said:
I cant understand why the transmissions are programmed like this,why not just let it climb the hill on the torque ?
Because it's horsepower that gets you up the hill, not just torque, and horsepower is torque times engine revs. Obviously, the horsepower in top gear is not enough if it is changing down.
Back in the 90's I towed a 1300kg caravan with a 1.8 Vectra and that regularly needed to change down to 3rd gear of its 5 speed box in order to maintain 60mph on hills.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
My last 5 tow cars have all been auto and I prefer Auto's both solo and towing. swimbo won't have auto for work and now of course with the new car on order that's manual. if there had been an option to have auto I would of taken it.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Dont agree Lutz.I think its more a matter of high loadings on the transmission at a low relative road speed.I would think it would strain the transmission.To prove a point i can "knock" it across and drive it as a manual,in this case i can hold 6th most of the time.I still think its to do with dpf incase of premature blocking.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I can't quite understand the point of artificially holding a higher gear. The automatic box should have been calibrated by the manufacturer as a best possible compromise, taking performance, emissions and fuel consumption into account..

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Auto every time had plenty of towcars over nearly 40 years of vanning ,keep it in auto i never use the tipronic hand book states use auto when towing.Much more relaxing driving and effortless hill starts.Even wife has auto for shopping, she wished she had one years ago.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Quite agree i would expect the transmission software to be calibrated as needed.Exactly what i was getting at,a comprimise.But personally i dont enjoy listening to a diesel engine running at near max engine speed when clearly there is no need for it.I wouldnt exactly call 230 hp pulling 1300kg as being low powered either so that rules that theory out to.

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I've read with interest the members views on which are best for towing, manual or auto. Can I pose a question? Which fuel is best for automatic cars, petrol or diesal?
Thanks
L.

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Diesel,higher torque at lower revs, just ask yourself why modern day lorries an coaches are diesel and more are becoming automatic ,also if you ever have the misfortune to get in a 10 mile plus motorway tailback, stop start with van on you will appreciate having auto.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts