Maplins satellite in a suitcase

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Hi all, after reading about the above sytem and it subsequently being reduced to £59.00 we have purchased one of the above systems. unfortunately despite some very carefull positioning and patience we seem unable to receive the astra 1 satellite at 28 degrees east, this satellite appears to be the one with all the english channels on it. we can pick up astra 1 at 19 degrees east absolutely perfectly but this is all german chanels, i have tried changing the polarity and the angle as well as rotation of the dish but still nothing, can anybody confirm wether they have actually received astra 1 28 in the north west of england (stockport) or further north on one of these rather small dishes or as i suspect is the dish too small i know yera ago we had to have 60 cm dishes to receive satellite tv when it first came out. i would appreciate some advice please as if the dish is too small i need to return it soon to maplins. thanks Gary (icemaker).

Feb 6, 2006
Visit site
hi icemaker,

have used this system with a very good picture on a site at haltwhistle (central england).I suspect that you have not tuned the box into the astra 28 satellite on your menu.I know because i done exactly the same,even though the instructions say they are automatically selected.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
the sat finder that is suplied is a bit hit and miss to be honest lutz, its just a compass with a rotational disc showing the rough location of satellites but the receiver does have a signal strength meter built in although we have found that even though we select vertical polarity manually the signal meter still only receives the 19 satellite. we are going to have another go tommorow as it started to rain again tonight and now we have flooding again in the garden so its too wet (and cold) its just dropped back down to 5 0c round here. thanks for the help up to now. gary.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Thanks to every one for your help we now have a working system to enjoy on those wet and dark nights. it turned out that the settings where incorect as john stated, the automatic settings required manually changing to the correct values for astra 1 28 dg seems the automatic bit does not work. the system appears to be very good value for money indeed.

Oct 27, 2005
Visit site
I've started a thread about tv, but reading this you are all so technical. If I am having no joy with this status 315 thing can I get what you are talking about from maplins or is this only if you have sky. I just thought we would be able to plug our tv in and that would be it. Thanks Denise.

Mar 22, 2006
Visit site
Is it possible to use my home digibox with this system (looking at the picture and att the details I dosent look like the box provided has a card slot and the blurb says not for sky systems.

KR

John

Mar 22, 2006
Visit site
Is it possible to use my home digibox with this system (looking at the picture and att the details I dosent look like the box provided has a card slot and the blurb says not for sky systems.

KR

John

Mar 22, 2006
Visit site

KR

John

Feb 6, 2006
Visit site
hi denise,

The system we are on about comes as a complete system,and you can get dozens of freeview channels,and bbc and itv.I have noticed that Lidls have the kit for sale at

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Do the Maplin / Lidl packages give all five "normal" channels, ie BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, Channel 4 and five?

Because of encryption and transmission agreements a number of satellite packages exclude one, or more, normal channels unless a subscription is taken out.

Dec 18, 2005
Visit site

KR

John
Yes. You can use the dish with a Sky digibox.

Dec 18, 2005
Visit site
Do the Maplin / Lidl packages give all five "normal" channels, ie BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, Channel 4 and five?

Because of encryption and transmission agreements a number of satellite packages exclude one, or more, normal channels unless a subscription is taken out.
You only get "free to air" channels which means you don't get Channel 4 and five which are currently "free to view" (i.e you need a Sky digibox with either a monthly subscription card or a Freesat card).

Mar 22, 2006
Visit site
masses of useful information here. But one more question which might appear a bit simple. What is the best way to get the cable into the van.? Is it best to make it a permanent fixture or feed it in every time? Also how do most people do this, is it a case of replacing my status and using the holes left or should I drill new holes. Any advice would be appriciated.

Kind Regards

John

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I permanent socket on the outside of the caravan is probably the most convenient solution but I route the cable through the rooflight as it happens to be relatively close to where the TV stands.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Hi john, i have taken the cable in to the van through a small hole drilled in the back of the wet box the cable then goes through the bed box to the tv location. when have decided to leave the receiver and cable permanently in the van and just put the dish in the wardrobe when travelling as i found that the suitcase was the heaviest part of the kit. all the externall cable simply winds up and goes in to the wet box for travelling.

On another note for those that wish to use a sky box on site i have seen on e-bay a device that conects to your telephone socket on the sky box and allows you to use all the channels including sport and movies without the box being connected to a bt phone line. once you get home you reconnect your box to your phone line and sky will bill you for what you have used. of course if you are out of your 12 month contract you do not have to reconnect it to the phone line so you will never get billed, but that would be illegal so i cant recommend it. lol.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
One way of connecting from outside to inside is to use the external tv point, in my case in the battery box, then at the status booster box, use a straight coax connector to join the inside end of the external cable to the cable supplying the point nearest the tv.

Mar 22, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions regarding the cabeling. I have been over to Maplins and bought the system this morning, we are away in the van for the next few days so plenty of time to play about with the routing.

Kind Regards

John

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

Not as good as a Freeview box then, is it?

May 23, 2006
Visit site
I am considering purchasing one of these 'satellite in a suitcase from Mapplins' to use when away on holiday in England and Wales only. My question is can I take my normal PACE receiver and sky card from home and use this dish. The FAQ page on the Mapplins site suggests the dish is not compatable with sky products.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts