Maps showing Good tow routes

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Is there such a thing as a road map (I currently have an A3 AA road) which shows caravan friendly roads or what do you all do to ensure you can safely travel on the planned routes when you are planning a journey to go somewhere?

Cheers
TD

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi TD,
I'm not aware of a map book specifically for caravanners, but clearly many of the issues of caravan towing regards suitable roads would be shared by HGV's. But when planning my own routes, there generally isnt a problem with motorways, or A class roads, so plan the bulk of your journey on those, and then when yo approach your destinatins most site owners offer caravan friendly routes to the site.

But as always regardless what the maps or sat nav tells you, you have to use your road craft and read the local road signs for narrow roads etc.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If you have any doubts about any route try Google earth and you can usually spot any problems but if you use the directions given to sites you should be OK.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
You can also use Google street view where available to check out any awkward turnings, to have a look at landmarks or waypoints to help you to keep an idea of where you are, to avoid missed turnings and to see the road leading up to the site entrance.
You can print off step by step directions for the parts of the route that you're not sure about with larger detail maps of traffic islands or junctions that might be tricky. You could write on your directions reminders such as what pubs or churches come just before turnings, where there are narrow roads or low bridges etc.
Never rely solely on sat nav if you use it.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Some satnavs can be programmed on a PC/MAC so by usng maps/google etc you can select your own route and import it into the satnav. Mine is a Garmin and I use their software Mapsource to programme in the caravan routes but also take a Google maps print of the route and carry a good map book too.

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Being new to both caravanning and towing, i spent the night before the first trip plotting my route and viewing it via google maps etc, all very useful, I didnt want to end up putting myself under pressure travelling down narrow roads to go on holiday!
I use Co-Pilot on the iPhone, and there is a mode for 'RV' and HGV. These both seem to avoid smaller roads, not sure if this function is availalble on other models of GPS system, but does the job for me. In addition, it seems to lower the speeds so the ETA time is a little more accurate.
Rob

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've not tried it for UK but the www.viamichelin.com site enables you to tick an option for trailer/caravan towing when route planning in europe.

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
RV / HGV modes on Satnav programs have little or nothing to do with Narrow roads! They are modes use for the different Algorithm's needed for differences in acceeration and speeds between car and larger vehicles and calculations for average speeds! DO NOT ever trust it to take you on a large vehicle friendly route!

Via Michelin towing caravan/trailer options are mainly to do with the time it will take you to cover your route and costing re fuel.
Not the suitability of routes for vehicles.

Set Co-Pilot on my sons iPhone for our home from his using HGV and it would have any HGV jammed in a flash!

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
All A class roads and most B roads are OK for towing. The thing to watch on Sat nav is the approach to sites. Switch off satnav and obey site instructions!
Gybe is quite right in his remarks re lorry routes. The only difference on my satnav is the time taken.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts