Matador tyres 175/14

Oct 7, 2008
Visit site
In your November issue you have an article regarding defect Matador tyres 195/14.

Our 2006 Swift Challenger had its 2nd warranty service at Discover (Wrexham).We were told the tyres were defective, cracks in the tread.After discussion with Swift & Tyreline,Tyreline sent a new set of tyres to be fitted at Discover with no charge.

Therefore it would appear there are also problems with 175's.

A friend who has a Abbey 2006 has also experienced the same problem with Matador 175's and Salop caravans have changed them free of charge.

We would welcome any information you have on the 175's and would like to know if Swift & Tyreline are making their customers aware of potential dangers whilst driving with their defect tyres.

Thankyou for your informative magazine, I always look forward to each publication.

Yours faithfully

Albert Selvey

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Albert,

Thanks for the information. I'll pass this on and see if there are any other sizes which are listed as being affected.

Best advice has to be for anyone who is worried to get the torch out and have a really good look at their tyres to look for signs of problems.

Regards

Nigel Donnelly

Editor

Practical Caravan

Oct 7, 2008
Visit site
Albert,

Thanks for the information. I'll pass this on and see if there are any other sizes which are listed as being affected.

Best advice has to be for anyone who is worried to get the torch out and have a really good look at their tyres to look for signs of problems.

Regards

Nigel Donnelly

Editor

Practical Caravan
Thanks for your reply Nigel, just one point, no-one would be able to find the fault unless they remove the wheels and check deep inside the tread.

With ours the tread was beginning to come away from the casing, but with our friends, Brian, there was sidewall cracks. I reiterate there would appear to be many more problems with Matador 175's.

We use our caravan to travel down to Spain in the winter, it is important to us therefore that we have good reliable tyres.Thanks again Albert

Sep 22, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your reply Nigel, just one point, no-one would be able to find the fault unless they remove the wheels and check deep inside the tread.

With ours the tread was beginning to come away from the casing, but with our friends, Brian, there was sidewall cracks. I reiterate there would appear to be many more problems with Matador 175's.

We use our caravan to travel down to Spain in the winter, it is important to us therefore that we have good reliable tyres.Thanks again Albert
In August this year I went to France, on the M25 stuck in traffic the van next to me pointed out that my caravan tyre was quite flat. I pulled off and the tyre looked a bit flat, so changed it with the spare only to find cracks all around on the tyre wall on the inside so out of site from inspection prior to trip.(so need to remove to check in future)

Went to garage to get it changed and found the tread was bulging and coming off and on the inside the layers of rubber had come apart. I immediatly checked the other tyre and found small cracks forming on this. The tyres are 2.5 years old. they are the 185 ones so other sizes affected. I am in the process of trying to get tyreline to replace. They are ok about it just the dealer does not appear interested in persueing at the moment.

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site

We also have a problem with Matador tyres fitted on our 1 year old Giest Aktiv 565, which was found during it's first service by GT Services Oxford. The tryes on our caravan are size 185, so it would appear to be a general fault with Matador tyres. Our dealer, Camper UK in Lincolnshire, are trying to sort this out but facing problems with its parent group LMC. Any advise would be welcomed.

May 2, 2009
Visit site
Re- Matador tyres..I purchased a sterling europa 460 in feb 2009 from a main dealer.this van is a feb 2006 model so it was just three years old when purchased.this is a very nice one owner van and came with one year warranty. To my dismay and only by chance i was checking tyre pressures prior to our first trip out,both tyres (one worse than the other) had cracking to the sidewall just where the tread starts.I presented this tyre to my local tyre service who confirmed the tyre was very unsafe and needed replacing.I instructed him to fit me two new tyres as we where booked in on a site the next day.Two new Matador Elite 2 195x70R14 tyres were fitted.I promptly made a phone call to my dealer to complain,to which they agreed to pay for one tyre which I agreed to,bearing in mind the dealership is 50 miles from home so it wasnt an option for me to take the tyres for them to inspect.To this end do you feel that Swift caravans or Tyreline should have stood to the replacement of the faulty tyres if approached by the main Sterling/Swift dealer.

Thanks for a great magazine,I never miss a copy.

Yours faithfully

Jack Warren

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
I took my 2 year old Burstner caravan for its sevice in March.

When I collected it I noticed that two new tyres had been fitted, alarm bells started ringing making me think that they had changed them without my consent.

On reaching the service reception the receptionist informed me that the service manager wanted to see me. He told me that they check routinly any Matador tyres that come in to them and that they had noticed small cracks in the tyre walls and that they had changed them under the warranty and that there was a small leak on the gas regulator that had been changed as well.

I would like to take this chance of publicly thanking the staff of Camper UK of Lincoln for their thouroghness and dedication to their customers.

Lincoln is about 100 miles from Brum but they will get my custom every time

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
from information i have the matador tyres that are possibly faulty in the product dates of

MATADOR TYRES 175/OR 195 70/R14/96S MP42 ELITE TYRES DOT NUMBER - 4005 TO 4605.

4005 IS WEEK 40 2005

4605 IS WEEK 46 2005

hope this helps

not for me i will change to another make for the future.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
its only certain batch numbers, its only cosmetic cracking

you will see it around the lettering on the side of the tyres

dont panic just check every 3 months

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts