Mayday, Rac Or Britania All With Euro Cover - Any Advice?

Sep 18, 2005
Visit site
Hi All.

I posted this on another forum but thought I would post here also as may get a different opinion. My Mayday recovery is up. We have it for both cars with all the trimminings. Its like £130 odd quit I believe. Now, we are of to France this year again and Caravan Club with Red Pennant want to charge me £234 for the 2 weeks as my car - pajero, is over 10 years old.

So - I started to look at around. Now, with the RAc and booked though Caravan and Camping Club, they will Full policy UK cover for both cars, £139 and also take caravan to destination, and recover home if they cannot fix my car, well, thats what they said anyway. Now, they also said European cover is like an additional £84. Now, that seemed a damn good deal as also included repatriation and taken to my booked campsite - plus no restriction on age of vehicle.

But then someone said Britiannia. Never used them but there UK and Euro full cover is like £129 plus an extra £29.50 for additional cars. Which beats RAC quite alot, and they also do it monthly like RAC - which Mayday dont do.

So - questions, anyone used RAC in UK and Europe with caravan and what they like

And - has anyone used Btitiannia in UK and especially Europe.

Thanks

Scott

Mar 19, 2007
Visit site
Used RAC recently but only claimed last year when I ruptured my Achiles tendon and was put in plaster, and unable to drive. My wife drives but doesn't tow our van. RAC provided a driver to take our outfit with us from the site to the port, crossed with us sited our van at Folkstone, had accomodation booked locally, met us the next day, hitched up and drove us home to Cumbria. All it cost was our usual fuel and toll fees, every cost he incurred was covered by the RAC. We rated the service very highly.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Scott, I was covered with Greenflag for my 14 yr old Range Rover, through my insurance provider. When your s is due just ask for the details of recovery. It can be free with the policy or has youve found just a nominal fee. Every time we went abroad i asked G/Fg about the vehicle being over 10yrs old and they had no problems with it.Bazz.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Britannia in the UK is brilliant, as they use local garages. I've had newer cars in the last 10 years so haven't needed them, but when we ran old wrecks we were really impressed.

Britannia covers the car rather than the person, which suits us with 3 drivers and 2 cars in the household.

We thought about Britannia for Europe, but for us an annual AA 5 star policy does the job at

Sep 18, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Interesting to hear about greenflag, the issue I have is about the repatrioation and taking to site while abroad if I break down with the cav. I dont think Greenflag themselves cover this. I know its in RAC and Red Pennant.

Good to know RAC did well - so looks like they are a good option, and far cheaper.

Thanks

Scott

May 19, 2007
Visit site
I would swear by Red Pennant, its run by caravanners for caravaners, I had cause to use them in southern France last year, they simply cant be faulted.

One phone call to them and that was it, we were taken to a campsite before being flown home, the car and caravan followed shortly after, they run a very smooth and well oiled system.

Aug 20, 2006
Visit site
Hi Scott

Dont know how long your van is but reading in the general exclusions with RAC and they state no caravans over7.6 metres including A frame.It pays to read small print very carefully.

Sep 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi, try vehicle-rescue.com, my company car is covered under the AA however they only pick up small caravans, only found this out when i rang them for a euro upgrade, and it was me who mentioned it, with a company car you don't get to read the small print!, from memory vehicle rescue has a maximum caravan lenth of 8m, and the cost seemed very reasonable, has any one used them yet.

Regards Paul.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
RAC through the C&CC have no limit on the length or weight of the caravan. I checked this before joining and have it in writing. Prior to this I was with Green Flag and had a dispute with them following an accident with my caravan a few years ago and vowed never to have any further business with them because of their attitude at the time.

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
RAC every time

We rang round for quotes and when I spoke to the RAC about why theirs was a little higher than Green Flag they said it was because RAC have trained mechanics who try to fix your car there and then if they possibly can. Green Flag just tow you to one of their garages and charge you to fix it.

We have been so glad we joined the RAC - this weekend towing to the Peak District black smoke started coming out of the exhaust and I mean billowing out! We were in the middle of no-where so decided to press on and try to make it to our destination as we were only about 4 miles away. Anyway RAC came out and fixed the car for us - brilliant friendly mechanic who explained the problem for us and was just wonderful in everyway. We were expecting a

Nov 9, 2006
Visit site
Response to Kathryn.

I used Green Flag recently, they could't repair at road side so I followed them to the garage that was sent out to rescue me. The repair was free of charge, though it only took 30 minutes and a bit of tape.

In my experience you have to pay for parts regardless of the rescue service you use, the labour will probably be free though.

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Response to Kathryn.

I used Green Flag recently, they could't repair at road side so I followed them to the garage that was sent out to rescue me. The repair was free of charge, though it only took 30 minutes and a bit of tape.

In my experience you have to pay for parts regardless of the rescue service you use, the labour will probably be free though.
Right - didn't realise that the mending was free with Green Flag.

However the RAC did put a new clip on which they didn't charge us for - not a massive cost anyway I'm sure but just gave us an overall glow of how great they were!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts