meat thermometers

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Hi Team,
I have been for some time now thinking about acquiring a meat thermometer for use when cooking chicken and the like on the cadac or barbecue. Dose anyone have any advice on such matters or will a ten quid pocket unit from an online shop do the trick adequately?

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
had mine for about 30yr now as long its stainless steel it will last a life time cost about a fiver also make sure the gauge is easy to read and for all you tec's no it not been calibrated :woohoo: :woohoo: :)

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
saint-spoon said:
Hi Team,
I have been for some time now thinking about acquiring a meat thermometer for use when cooking chicken and the like on the cadac or barbecue. Dose anyone have any advice on such matters or will a ten quid pocket unit from an online shop do the trick adequately?

We use one of these with a long folding probe, it would have been about a tenner when we bought it ;)

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Sproket said:
saint-spoon said:
Hi Team,

We use one of these with a long folding probe, it would have been about a tenner when we bought it ;)

I have been looking at similar.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Wifey wanted one for the oven, as she was hacked off with me putting the temp probe from my multi meter in there, to check the temp. Never use the meat probe on the BBQ, always use the "Stabe it with the knife until the juices run clear" and give it another 5 minutes. Present it to the wife on a plate start eating and then return to the BBQ for another 5 minutes.
Women never cook on BBQ's as they don't know how to burn meat properly.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Bought our thermometer 3 to 4 years ago when we bought the cadac, found it last weekend in the bottom cupboard, still in its plastic wrapper :)

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Wifey wanted one for the oven, as she was hacked off with me putting the temp probe from my multi meter in there, to check the temp. Never use the meat probe on the BBQ, always use the "Stabe it with the knife until the juices run clear" and give it another 5 minutes. Present it to the wife on a plate start eating and then return to the BBQ for another 5 minutes.
Women never cook on BBQ's as they don't know how to burn meat properly.

Nah use the fork test, stick it in wait 3 mins pull it out put in mouth if burns your tongue it's done, :lol: :lol: :lol: the internal temp that a chicken has to reach to be safe is above 75,C or the same as a hot coffee, but burns at 90,C so if it's burned all the way through Hutch, it is just fine.

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
When it's brown, it's done. when it's black, it's buggered has been a good watchword for my life.

Are we honestly in such a position the people can't cook meat?

Be best staying at home and microwaving ready meals

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
I finished my working life as a head chef in a 4star hotel and even though we were all quite capable of cooking any type of meat we were required by the Enivironmental Health Dept to record cooking temperatures not just for meat but all types of things even the baked beans at breakfast. It didn't stop there either as we also had to record fridge and freezer temps food delivery temps and the list went on and on, I would also point out that following the bad salmonella outbreak in Scotland some years ago their cooking temperature requirements say that meats must be cooked to a higher temp than ours in England and Wales. You can get a perfectly good probe off EBay for £3-4. As for black it's no good not always true just tell them it's caramelisation and its flavour.

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Cheers for the responses (well most of them anyway). Have ordered a foldy out one and will see how we get on with it; hopefully no more over cooked and dry chicken breasts (I usually do thighs anyway) and hopefully I will get a spatchcock chicken or two cooked on the cadac this summer.

Edit: Whilst I was reading the reviews fro one of the hand held instant fold out type thermometers i found one from a chap ranting on about how dangerous the product was because the handle had completely melted... I did wonder if he was genuinely that dense or just having a laugh.

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
Congratulations on choosing the probe, can I suggest you google meat cooking temperatures that way you will know what temps to cook to and don't forget that when the meat is resting covered with foil the temperature will continue to rise. I just wish more people would use them

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts