Mediterranean Spain September/October

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
We are proposing to travel to the northern part of the mediterranean coastal area of Spain to stay during the last week of September / first two weeks of October. We are planning to go perhaps as far as say Cambrils and don't really want to commit ourselves to a site by booking. Would welcome the views from anyone that has experienced this area at this time of the year on the ease of getting a pitch. Are some sites fairly busy at this time or could we rely on getting in almost anywhere?

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
You should be fine at that time of year. Use one of the discount schemes such as the ACSI card or Camping Cheques, and they will outline when these are accepted. If they're offering discounted pitches, then it's unlikely that the site will be full - otherwise they'd be selling them at full price.

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
We get to that area most years at that time , lately we have been staying in the Roses area but we have been to Cambrils and Vilanova i la Geltru. You wont need to book then or any other time outside July /August, however some get a little fuller later on in September as others start closing for the winter. We have never booked anywhere and never been turned away but you might find some sites more crowded than others. We have found sites in ACSI scheme can be unexpectedly busy at times and you could always be unlucky enough to encounter a rally. An issue with the Salou/Cambrils area is that it seems very popular with Swiss families who have a school holiday around that time, not that their children behaved like other nationalities. If you do come across a site that does not have enough choice of pitches my advice would be just move on there will be plenty of others with space .
David

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
David - thanks for that. You mention the Rosas area and I wonder if you have any recommendations there? It is one of the few areas you do not note on your brilliant website!
Maz

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
maz said:
David - thanks for that. You mention the Rosas area and I wonder if you have any recommendations there? It is one of the few areas you do not note on your brilliant website!
Maz
Thanks for the kind words about the site.I was actualy refering to the wider Roses area i.e on the bay of Roses. We have not yet found a side close enough to the town itself that suited us, it is a nice town strangely looking better now than it did 30 years go when I first visited and we would have liked to find somewhere in walking/safe cycling distance. The area between St Pere Pescador and Estartit is almost "end to end" sites but several of the biggest do close mid September and the others take up the slack. We looked at Camping Aquarius(ACSI 2042) but maybe we were unlucky and found it crowded due mainly to a CCC rally and didnt stop. Camping Las Palmeras is practically next door and although a little dearer (not ACSI) we have now been twice.
David

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
We have been to Cambrils many times. Cambrils Port is very pretty. Lots of restaurants and shops. Great for an evening stroll or perhaps dinner or a glass of vino. We have always stayed at Cambrils Park but unfortunately they no longer take tourers. In 2010 on our last visit they took us to have a look around Sanguli their sister site in Salou. It seemed a very nice site with good facilities.
We did find that as soon as the camping cheque season started the Dutch arrived en masse. Lovely people but it was funny to see them rolling in one after the other. Having said that there was always plenty of spaces.
We have also been to Estartit three times. We have stayed at Cypsela in Pals near Estartit and at Castell Montgri which is within walking distance of Estartit town. Both are lovely sites with good facilities.

TRENDING THREADS