mental block

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We've been 'doing' France for 26 years, twice (or more) a year, and haven't yet run out of ideas. We have been back several times to areas that we love, but each year make a point of trying somewhere new - and every year we've enjoyed our holidays. We haven't yet touched the Vendee or southern Brittany.

We've also done Luxembourg, Belgium, Germany, Holland, Spain, and Italy - and are now thinking of going back to Czechoslovakia - somewhere we visited in the 1970's - and would love to see how it's changed!! Then there's Poland, Hungary, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Portugal, Moroccco - Europe is your oyster - just go for it!!!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I'll go along with what Valerie has said. We've "done" Europe from north (Arctic Circle in Norway and Iceland) to south (Gibraltar) but haven't ventured far east yet.

However, my "secret" ambition is to take the caravan across the Mediterranean to Tunis and drive through Libya to Cairo and back via Cyprus. Another dream I have is to take the outfit across the Atlantic and tour North America (actually, I've already made some enquiries and it's not that expensive to have it shipped there and back - cheaper than renting a mobile home when you get there if you stay longer than about 6 weeks).

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Smiley,

Assuming that you don't need to entertain children, then a visit to Benelux would be a good idea - exploring the fabulous cities, great restaurants and (in Belgium) beer.

Belgium - Brugge (Bruges) and Gent - Camping Blaarmeersen in Gent is one of the top caravan sites in Belgium - Gent and Brugge city centres are truly fabulous (built on the wealth of the wool trade)

Holland - Delft - Camping DelftseHout (in the recreation park a short walk from the city centre) is a good location to explore Delft and (by train) Amsterdam, Leiden and Rotterdam. These (any many other) Dutch cities were built on the fabulous wealth created by the Dutch East India company and other trading ventures.

If you do need to entertain children, then the coastal parks between the Scheldt river and Amsterdam - like Duinrell in Holland - are a great choice

This will certainly be a different, but equally enjoyable, alternative to France - and since most Dutch speakers don't expect foreigners to learn Dutch (or Vlaams for Northern Belgium), English is widely spoken.

Regards (or in Dutch "Groetjes"), Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
smiley. I cannot understand how you can run out of places to go in France, or anywhere else for that matter. We're relative novices to french life, but have toured UK for 40 years, and haven't seen it all yet! I can only assume that you must be very, very old!

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I've been fortunate enough to see some of the great views and Holiday beaches in the world. There are some places in France that I would be happy to be confined to for the rest of my days providing it was near the sea. Can't see what the problem is.

Lke Rob says, there are also plenty of other places in Europe and we went back to southern Brittany after about a 5 or 6 year break. Town layout had been changed and their were new shops and rstaurants to explore and a new market! Nothing stands still and we have never seen all of the UK.

Jun 28, 2006
Visit site
Hi Lutz

Did the Tunis/Libya etc thing a short while back, in 4x4's. Worked out that it would now be almost imposible in Mhome or Caravan, if only for the horendious paperwork and costs.

A few of us caravaner's are joining the Sept tour in Morocco with Desert Detours.....take a look at their itinerary. I am also tempted by their Morocco/Mauritana/Senegal tour in 2008.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I appreciate that under current circumstances a North Africa trip is not on but I haven't got the money either so I can live and dream for another couple of years. Maybe by then the situation will have changed. Of course, when towing, I'd stick to the main road, just like we had to do when we drove round Iceland with our caravan. I believe that at the moment one can only drive through Libya with a local guide accompanying you in the car. Is that right?

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi Lutz,

I believe that at the moment one can only drive through Libya with a local guide accompanying you in the car. Is that right?

Can't answer that Lutz,

but I can tell you it's a pleasant drive from Benghazi, down through Derna and on to Tobruk. I used to do every 4 weeks in a VW Beetle, when the Airport at Tobruk was closed. This was due to the Eygyptians being in dispute with the Libyans, ( and them bombing the airport

Val & Frank

TRENDING THREADS