mice droppings found

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Make sure the water pipes have their covers over them when you put your van in storage.

Jo - as a precaution, I would go and get some mouse poison/bait stations. You don't want rodents in your van.

Lisa

May 18, 2006
Visit site
We got mice in our van yearsago and they did a lot of damage to the cushions. They climbed up a corner steady and chewed through a plastic vent.

I got under the van and put fine metal mesh over every possible place they could get in and have had no problems since.

We have just bought a brand new van and I did the same thing under the van. You would be supprised at how many places under the van that mice can get in - like around where pipes go through the floor.

Also most insurance companies do not cover fot vermine damage. Our previous insurer did but the current one does not.

Graeme.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
thanks everyone for your help and advise. we are going to go and empty the van tomorrow bringing all sleeping bags pillows etc home. we will also be emptying all under seating and floor cupboards. we will be putting mouse traps and chocolate down for them.

where can you buy the mesh to go over the holes?.

the grass underneath and around our van needs cutting the owner is a bit slack.

keep the help coming

jo-anne

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You need to put some poison down, the stuff I used to buy to kill rats was sometimes red and sometimes aqua blue so it's quite visible.

It's best to kill as many as possible, otherwise, they just keep coming back.

Lisa

May 5, 2005
Visit site
you can get galvanised steel mesh from buildres merchants it can be cut with tin snips and has a fine diamond shape.The square wire mesh from pte shops is too coarse imho and mice can squeeze thro tiny gaps.It can be fixed with small staples but keep it clear of spider webs and similar ,it will block easily.We used to keep our awning in shed but found a well munched parasol.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
If you are putting down old fahioned spring type traps watch out for the splatter, they can leave a gory mess.

Aug 30, 2007
Visit site
If you have children or pets I would be VERY wary of using poison.

Using poison is not a good idea at all in my view. How are you going to dispose of it?

Far simpler to prevent entry via the mesh as outlined above and a few mothballs in the caravan.

We store on a farm and mice have been a problem - but not any more as we place mothballs in saucers all over the floor and in storage areas.

The work well - They stop flies over-wintering in your caravan as well.

May 18, 2006
Visit site
I got the mesh from a local garden centre. The holes are only about 0.4cm square so mice should not be able to get through. It is the same mesh as used in a lot of bird feeders. It can be cut with scissors, easily moulded and I used a staple gun to fix it to the caravan floor.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
hi everyone thanks for all your help and advise.

we have emptied all under seats and floor cupboards we have put in about 7 mouse traps with mars bar in all of them.

looked at b & q at the wire mesh but holes to big. i will have to try builders merchants.

going back in a couple of days to see how many we have caught so watch this space.

jo-anne

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Joanne

I would suggest using traps instead of poison - with poison you could end up with dead mice where you can't see them and then they lead to smells. The best traps I've used are the beige plastic ones that have bait already in them - they can't resist the bait.

Using mesh is also a good idea. As a guide, the holes should be too small for a normal pencil to pass through otherwise mice will get through.

Regards

Catcher

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts