Milenco noseweight guage issues

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
Errm, cant see my own text, so in case others cant - is my Millenco noseweight guage adjustable as its way too tall for my kia sportage?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Neil, At the risk of appearing dense why does your nose weight gauge have to match your towing vehicle? Surely the gauge will compress when you lower your van towbar onto it and then give you the load reading for the towbar.
Rgds

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Neil,
You have highlighted one of the reasons that not even the 'calibrated' Milenco guage is really up to the job of measureing your trailers nose weight, as you cannot adust it to match the hitches towing height.

Hello Paul,
The reason you need to be able to adjust the guage, is that the law requires the nose weight to be measured with the hitch at the towing height. If the hitch is at any other height it will give a differnt reading. Currently no retail nose weight gauge can gaurantee to measure your nose weight, unless by a stroke of chance it happens to match your towing height.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Neil E said:
Thanks chaps, will my guage read 'heavy' or light' withit being taller than the towball?

Assuming you have a single axle caravan then the higher the nose the lower the weight reading will be. The picture is not as simple with twin axle caravans.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
I can say no more than the prof has already stated. Especially as he'll tell me orf if I mention my method of judging the nose weight!!
smiley-sealed.gif

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
There is some other makes of nose weight gauges on Amazon I came across which attach to the tow ball and you then lower the van onto the gauge. This still does not give you the exact towing height but may give you a better reading.

Click on link below and scroll down to view other gauges or search for noes weight gauge.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=caravan nose weight gauge&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=9510111545&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8300062821660972805&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_4xbdrbtnr2_b

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
OK Martin, I'll take the flak.
I will share with you what I have learned about measuring noseweight from this forum;
Any gauge you buy is not accurate.
Any measurement taken on ground that is not as flat as a billiard table is not accurate.
Any measurement taken that is not at exactly the same height as the towball is not accurate
Any measurement taken anywhere except at the right spot on the tow hitch is not accurate.
Any measurement taken if you have a twin axle is not accurate.
Any measurement taken when stationery is different when towing,due to dynamic forces, and so is not accurate.
Any measurement taken will change if a tin of cassoulet rolls forward while towing, and so is not accurate.

Hence buy a reasonably good gauge, measure on flattish ground and say "thats good enough".
mel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Mel,

Some of your points are accurate but not all. I'll leave you guessing.
smiley-undecided.gif

It seems quite strange that enormous reverence is afforded an industry created towing figure of 85%, that has no legal standing, yet when a matter of legality such as nose weights and or speed is discussed, so many people seek to ignore the implications and carry on suggesting methods that simple do not offer a sure fire way of staying legal.

The mind boggles.
smiley-undecided.gif

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Prof John L said:
Hello Mel,

Some of your points are accurate but not all. I'll leave you guessing.
smiley-undecided.gif

It seems quite strange that enormous reverence is afforded an industry created towing figure of 85%, that has no legal standing, yet when a matter of legality such as nose weights and or speed is discussed, so many people seek to ignore the implications and carry on suggesting methods that simple do not offer a sure fire way of staying legal.

The mind boggles.
smiley-undecided.gif

Prof John L
Our fanatastic Lady Mel
Summed it all up brilliantly even with some humour too. What more do we we need?
smiley-kiss.gif
smiley-cool.gif

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Spot on Mel. That post should be made a sticky as it will save newbies from getting confusing messages. Maybe PC magazine will print it?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts